McDuck

A Meaningless Bowl Game?

Based on their post game reaction the players didn't think so.  Not pretty at times but they didn't quit!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

No bowl game to get to 10 wins can be called meaningless.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

They played well in the fourth... But darn they looked lifeless at times. 

I'm just glad as fans and for the team that we all enter the off season with an Oregon win. 

Haven't been able to say that since 2019. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I believe that this was Bo Nix's first bowl game victory.  The same for many of Oregon's players.

Congratulations on a hard fought victory!!!

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Maybe not the best playing we've seen but there was heart and soul at the end. Thats all I ask.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Wasn't pretty like y'all said but we'll take the W!

Most Duck fans, myself included, would have been overjoyed in September to know that the team with a first-year coach would finish with 10 wins...no?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:27 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Most Duck fans, myself included, would have been overjoyed in September to know that the team with a first-year coach would finish with 10 wins...no?

My goal was 10 wins for the season because I did not know what to expect, and 10 wins is a respectable, a good team.  But after your Bulldogs bit us badly--I had my concerns!

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/28/2022 at 10:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My goal was 10 wins for the season because I did not know what to expect, and 10 wins is a respectable, a good team.  But after your Bulldogs bit us badly--I had my concerns!

Hey, didn't Chip beat Wisconsin in the Rose by one point?

Also loved how Chase Cota caught the game tying touchdown.  Great way to end his first and only season in Eugene.

As Dan Lanning told Chase, "this is where you belong!" 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 12/29/2022 at 1:54 AM, DanLduck said:

Chip won by a TD. Mario won by a point.

• Thumbs Up 1

The big games that count are the beavs, dawgs, Pac-12 championship game, and the bowl game. First season I'll take the bowl win.

A coaches record in those games is what counts. Going forward I look for Lanning to improve in the other games too. Agree a ten win season was a huge accomplishment and what I wanted to see. 

This season was where Lanning laid the foundation. The foundation is the most important item, but in construction most can't see anything until the framing is done. We now get to see Lanning put the walls up on what will be the Lanning program. 

I look for those walls and the house Lanning is building to include trophy rooms for the big games. Those rooms will be nice and big with plenty of room for wins, and in the end the big bowl game wins too.

Well done winning a meaningful bowl game against a very good team, and an excellent coach.

One interesting note is North Carolina is the only team both Miami and Oregon played. Miami lost to NC at home, we beat NC in a bowl game.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 11:54 PM, DanLduck said:

In 2011, Chip & the Ducks beat Wisconsin 45-38 in the Rose Bowl and fnished the season 12-2. That game was a total barn-burner with Russel Wilson at the helm for the Badgers. 

In 2019, Justin and the Ducks beat Wisconsin by 1 in the Rose Bowl 28-27. Another 12-2 season and another wild bowl win. That might be the game you were thinking of. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2022 at 12:31 AM, OregonDucks said:

Also loved how Chase Cota caught the game tying touchdown.  Great way to end his first and only season in Eugene.

As Dan Lanning told Chase, "this is where you belong!" 

Yeah... that was pretty magical. What a wonderful full-circle story.

Bill Oram from OregonLive wrote a nice piece last night about this story. 

His dad was such a monster safety for Oregon, culminating in that magical 1994-95 run to the Rose Bowl. I almost forgot how huge he was for us. 

This is quite the heart-warming story.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The starting strong safety on Oregon's 1995 Rose Bowl team, Chad Coda on Wednesday watched his son give...

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2022 at 8:09 AM, Desert Duck said:

His dad was such a monster safety for Oregon, culminating in that magical 1994-95 run to the Rose Bowl. I almost forgot how huge he was for us. 

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The starting strong safety on Oregon's 1995 Rose Bowl team, Chad Coda on Wednesday watched his son give...

Sitting in my office, plucking my keyboard, tears running down my face. So happy for this great duck family. Great article. Thanks for sharing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

My goal was 10 wins for the season

As Joey Harrington pointed out on Talkin' Ducks, 10 wins is not the same as it used to be with teams now playing 13 games in the regular season.  Some of the teams in the playoffs will have a chance to play up to 15 games this season!

With the talent on Oregon's roster, anything less than a spot in the conference championship game should be considered disappointment.  The Ducks were close but didn't get it done.  They should be proud of the bowl victory and hopefully have motivation going into the off season.

Edited by OregonDucks

On 12/29/2022 at 11:32 AM, OregonDucks said:

As Joey Harrington pointed out on Talkin' Ducks, 10 wins is not the same as it used to be with teams now playing 13 games in the regular season.  Some of the teams in the playoffs will have a chance to play up to 15 games this season!

With the talent on Oregon's roster, anything less than a spot in the conference championship game should be considered disappointment.  The Ducks were close but didn't get it done.  They should be proud of the bowl victory and hopefully have motivation going into the off season.

In Joey's day, from 1998-2001, with a bowl game, they played 12 games. All props and thanks to Joey for leading the Ducks to 10-2 & 11-1 seasons, respectively, in 2000 & 2001. Those were some great teams, not to mention that our 2001 Ducks got screwed out of playing in the title game -- and likely would have beaten Miami.

But playing 13 games and winning 10, is still a big deal. Especially in a rebuilding year.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:20 AM, DUCati855 said:

Sitting in my office, plucking my keyboard, tears running down my face. So happy for this great duck family. Great article. Thanks for sharing it.

Yeah... it definitely got me too. It's odd how that Oregon rain can sometimes even get into our offices.

It's so nice to read something like this, especially when there is so much darkness going on in this world. There are more great stories like this out there to be found. I wish the writers would look for more of them.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2022 at 8:09 AM, Desert Duck said:

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Thanks for sharing.  I could only imagine how proud Chad was last night.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2022 at 10:32 AM, OregonDucks said:

I would agree but there are 2 mitigating factors:  Bo's injury and the roster from a prior coach

On 12/29/2022 at 11:38 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I would agree but there are 2 mitigating factors:  Bo's injury and the roster from a prior coach

Couldn't agree more.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/28/2022 at 9:08 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm just glad as fans and for the team that we all enter the off season with an Oregon win. 

Haven't been able to say that since 2019. 

Didn't we win the Pac in 2020 against the spoiled children?

Edit: NVM - we did lose the bowl game that year, badly...

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2022 at 1:21 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Didn't we win the Pac in 2020 against the spoiled children?

Edit: NVM - we did lose the rose bowl that year, badly...

Yep... We beat USC in the championship game but lost the Fiesta Bowl quite badly with some of the worst special teams play we have ever seen as Oregon fans. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it clearly wasn't meaningless to the team.  That wave of winning excitement probably brought Funa and Big Sala back, maybe even Dorlus.

For me as a fan this was a big game, otherwise we go into the offseason with another loss and losing 3 of our last 4 like 2021. Barf.

For Lanning as a coach this is huge in terms of player retention, recruitment and momentum going into 2023.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think we should stop saying it’s a meaningless bowl game.  It seems really insulting to the players and staff who worked hard to entertain us.  The game certainly wasn’t meaningless to the players image.png.37492973dcdd2c56dfd39416f6858c6d.png

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Been a lot of great games in Bowl season. Watching Okie v. FSU right now. Great game. Competitive. Been fun so far

• Thumbs Up 1