Charles Fischer

I Will Have to Re-Think Things About This Team...

The overhaul of this team was incredible, and I really thought that Lanning learned from last year's mistakes against Washington and Oregon State.  Then he repeats them in this game, and defends them in the news conference?

He doesn't get it, and probably won't for years, because he has not had enough experience--enough painful losses.

And he expressed confidence in Cam Lewis, the guy who has done this before?

This is going to be longer build of the Oregon program than I thought because our coach is very young.  I am a fan and will be loyal, but I will not deny what my eyes see, and common sense tells me.

Oregon Poster_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

You are being generous.  It’s not that our Coach is young.  His decisions that turned a Victory into defeat are due to: ignorance, arrogance, and lack of wisdom.  If you have confidence in your offense, do what a wise Coach, like Andy Reid would do, and…….take the points(on 4th and goal), and score more on your ensuing possessions!  Coaching 101, Dan!  C’mon!  Sheesh!  You get paid waaaay too much to cost your hard-playing team a Victory like they deserved!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have less of an issue with him going for it on fourth and more of an issue with the playcalls which felt like low percentage shots. If you're going for it on fourth you take your best shot... Not something you call on 2nd down. 

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 7:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The overhaul of this team was incredible, and I really thought that Lanning learned from last year's mistakes against Washington and Oregon State.  Then he repeats them in this game, and defends them in the news conference?

He doesn't get it, and probably won't for years, because he has not had enough experience--enough painful losses.

And he expressed confidence in Cam Lewis, the guy who has done this before?

This is going to be longer build of the Oregon program than I thought because our coach is very young.  I am a fan and will be loyal, but I will not deny what my eyes see, and common sense tells me.

Oregon Poster_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

You took the words out of my mouth.

Hasn’t Lanning learned the concept of risk and reward?

The Ducks…I mean Lanning…took a potential 6 points off the board in the first half by going for it twice on 4th and short rather than kicking two relatively easy FG’s.

And not punting the ball late in the 4th quarter is flat out inexcusable.

This loss is on him.

• Thumbs Up 5

I disagree, Oregon was imposing its will on Washington offensively. Washington stepped up on those plays and executed. Same as Oregon stopping them at the one. 

Lanning was looking to win the game right then and there at the end. I have absolutely no problem with that.

Who on this forum thinks those 4th downs aren't high percentage situations? Most of us going in make the same call. Easy to question it on the back side.

I want Ducks to make the same call on 4th and goal at the 3 every time. Especially in a game like that.

What I didn't like was the poor execution. 3 pass plays, really. Oregons OC is super young. Add Bo's mind into the mix. I trust that combined football IQ in their decisions.

Stien Dominated the fusky defense. Thats a good D,  they made plays. But Oregon beat them up and down the field.

Ducks proved to be elite tonight. Got unlucky. Got some bad calls. Got beat in some key situations on both sides of the ball. And lost on the scoreboard. Plain and simple.

Keep doing what you are doing coach. It's working, even when it doesn't look like it.

Go Ducks!

• Yikes! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 7
  • Thumbs Up 11
  • Like 1

The national stats say that typically teams make one of three 4th down attempts. What is your percentage Dan?  Time to rethink that?

He has passed easy points that could have beaten the Huskies twice, and Oregon State.  (So far)

When teams are so close--these decisions make the difference. Make the other team beat you.

Oregon Poster_Screenshot from ESPN Video (2).jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/14/2023 at 7:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The national stats say that typically teams make one of three 4th down attempts. What is your percentage Dan?  Time to rethink that?

He has passed easy points that could have beaten the Huskies twice, and Oregon State.  (So far)

When teams are so close--these decisions make the difference. Make the other team beat you.

Oregon Poster_Screenshot from ESPN Video (2).jpg

Fusky was 2/3. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Think of it....Dan has only lost four games at Oregon, but three of them because he passed up easy field goals.  Three out of four?  

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On the next to final drive, the Ducks made nothing on 3rd down and 4th down. That hurt. The worst coaching decision was not getting 3 right before the half. Lanning does so many things right that the mistakes get magnified. We zealous fans need to chill. I think the Ducks will run the table and redeem themselves against the Dawgs on a neutral field in Las Vegas. Keep the faith. 

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 9

I just despise losing a game we should have won. Regardless of stats, we should have won that game. 

Our DBs generally need to play the ball in the air better, and unfortunately, more like the Huskies played the balls thrown to our Receivers. I am one of Bo's biggest fans - he thinks, and he does not quit! But,it helps to have a QB with the touch the Husky QB has and therefore to practice against him. I don't know if we could have defended the first two Husky long ball TDs any better, but I believe our coaches need to teach our DBs how to recover and play the ball as it comes in because it was not evident that our DBs knew how to do so when they are trailing an opposing receiver by a 1/2 stride.

A 1/2 stride means the DB must track the ball and jump-reach. As stated, a DB plays the ball. A Receiver does not catch a deflected ball, usually.

Perhaps I saw the receiver/DB competitions wrongly, but I don't think so. Our Receivers played well, but the Husky DBs seemed generally to play the ball better than us. I would enjoy seeing us do that same thing to the Huskies in the Championship game; let's practice that during the next six games, ... please.

Coach DL: I don't appreciate FGs, but they do play a role. I enjoy TDs, but the KC Chiefs have taught me that FGs have a value that accrues to create wins so long as you score several TDs to accompany them. When you are playing with house money, score!

Thanks, and VR,

KCDuck1    This one stung, didn't it!

Go Ducks! 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Go Ducks! I can understand the logic in many of those "terrible" decisions. Whether I would have done the same is a different story. We can say "kick the FG, kick the FG", but at the end of the game, he kicks the FG, and misses. The choice is obvious now, but at the time I appreciated the aggressiveness of going for the throat. 

UW beat us there and here.

IMO a neutral field won't matter.

Ducks have a Penix problem.

Except for Williams there's no QB's left on the schedule that have his accuracy.

Ducks win out the rest of the games and they should play UW again.

Maybe the 3rd times the charm and DL kicks FG's.

Edited by GODUCKS15

I remember going into this game that Ducks were like 8-10 on 4th down. Thats an 80% conversion rate. Pretty sure Dan had that information. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The facts are: he passed up a field goal before halftime, and another in the early third quarter.

Those were winning points.

Take the damn points!

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

This loss is on Lanning. The players won the game and their head coach fumbled the ball. Unfortunately they better go 11-1 or this loss is going to hurt the entire program in a lot of ways. A rematch on a neutral field would be something Oregon should relish. 

Lanning......grow up young man.......it's about the score board.....not your fantasies. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another point!!! Pass and run the ball forward please, If you dont go FORWARD you dont get FORWARD yards. Side to side doesnt work all that often,  Our O line was manhandled by the Fusky D line in the first half. I was very surprised by that.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks like I am going to disagree with most of the duck fans here. I am ok with that. I could also be wrong, I am ok with that too. 

IMO the Ducks played a great game. Went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the country, with arguably the best offense in the country. In a very hostile environment and gave themselves a chance to win till the end.

Lanning coached his a** off. Great job coach. Keep fighting for that one percent and Duck will play for a title.

What I know for sure is that was an amazing game and Ducks should be proud of how they represented to the country.

• Great post! 4
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 8

I purposely stayed off the forum until now, just had to work through this one a little bit.  This one hurts because Oregon had this game.  But, next week is a new game.  In regards to play calls this is my $0.01 (inflation and all):

IF the 4th down conversions had been successful, DL's aggressive strategy would have been applauded for pursuing the win.  They weren't when Oregon needed it most, specifically the fourth down call that would have ended the game.  I was okay with that call because Penix was playing tremendous and I wanted UO to keep him in the bench.

I can certainly see the reasons for taking the points given the ending score.  But there is a definite part of me that appreciates his "step on the throat" attitude...and I think sometimes that WILL backfire.

I know we all applauded his hutzpah for the fake punt that he ran two weeks ago.  Granted, I realize that game didn't have quite the significance of this one.

The outcome sucks, there is no way around it.  I won't sugar coat it.  We left 6 points in the field that would have made the difference.  I am not sure I would have called it differently if I am honest.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

In the end Oregon lost to Washington -can we learn from it?

On 10/14/2023 at 9:23 PM, cartm25 said:

I think those percentages are much lower than the near certain 6 points.

Maybe, maybe not. Ducks were converting at an 80 pecent clip coming into the game. Those percentages are pretty high.

Cam was 6 of 7 coming in, thats an 85.7% clip. Almost a wash.

What we dont know is how Cam looked in practice the last couple weeks. We do know is he showed signs of struggle starting in the Stanford game. 

Lanning showed support for Cam in his post game. Thats what coaches do. They don't sit up there and toss their players under the bus. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This is why I wasn't crazy about Lanning's extension.  Love the guy.  Not sure about his coaching chops.  Everyone says he's young and he'll learn.  I'm not so sure.  His coaching reminds me a bit too much of Brandon Staley of the Chargers, who I cannot stand.

I hope he learns...

Edited by Cacker Guy
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2023 at 9:30 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

In the end Oregon lost to Washington -can we learn from it?

Unfortunately, we lost for the same reason as last year, and did not learn from it. That is what worries me going forward…

Always…take the damn points!  How many MORE games do you need to lose before you learn?

You have already lost three games in two years over this..,isn’t that enough?

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

My question to Dan is what do championship team do? They take the points at halftime and go into the locker room with the momentum.

When your down 2 scores instead of 1 it feels like you have to go for it, if your only down 8 you kick the field goal and that puts you in a game winning situation next drive. This is what Sabin would do.

Game management is what separates the men from the boys and the champs from the runner-up. I get the impulse to want to go for the big points in a shootout but this game is the textbook example of why you take the points.

Let's say you do want to go for it on 4th and goal and your QB just threw one in the dirt on 3rd down, don't you at least handed it off to James who is almost automatic from 3 yards?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2023 at 9:33 PM, Cacker Guy said:

This is why I wasn't crazy about Lanning's extension.  Love the guy.  Not sure about his coaching chops.  Everyone says he's young and he'll learn.  I'm not so sure.  His coaching reminds me a bit too much of Brandon Staley of the Chargers, who I cannot stand.

I hope he learns...

I'm glad we gave him the extension. Today's loss and last year's losses to UW and OSU are frustrating but I believe he is the right coach for us. Without the extension we would loose him to someone else.

I would love to go undefeated and win a national championship but even with today's outcome I truly enjoyed watching the game. I've seen to many programs striving for the National championship give up on a good coach to only fall into 10 years of crappy football.

When we suffered thru the Helfrich final years it was not a guarantee that we would get back to this caliber of football. While I will complain about him for making poor coaching choices, I am happy that Oregon made sure Dan Lanning will be our coach for many more years.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I am firmly in the take the damn points camp. But the biggest brain fart in this game was the decision not to punt the damn ball with 2:16 left. It is bad enough to have to give Penix and those elite 

WRs the ball with that much time remaining, but I'd sure as hell rather have them possessing the ball down field deep in their own territory than around midfield!!  I was pretty confident about winning this game until the "no punt" decision unfolded. 

Having said this, I also think points would have been nice inside the 10 at the end of the first half, even though it would not have immediately given us the lead. This decision on Lanning's part was even harder to justify than "no punt" in the 4th IMHO because at least he could argue that had the first down been made at the end of the game, it is almost certain that Washington, with either only 1 or no TOs, would never have possessed the ball again.

Yes fellow Duck fans, this was a tough cross to bear. But I am already looking ahead to the next game and the need to keep chopping wood in pursuit of a berth in the Championship game in Vegas. Only now, there is no margin for error.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

I don't think we should assume that Cam automatically makes those untried field goals.

Maybe Lanning knows something we don't.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 10/14/2023 at 10:13 PM, JB89 said:

I'm glad we gave him the extension. Today's loss and last year's losses to UW and OSU are frustrating but I believe he is the right coach for us. Without the extension we would loose him to someone else.

I would love to go undefeated and win a national championship but even with today's outcome I truly enjoyed watching the game. I've seen to many programs striving for the National championship give up on a good coach to only fall into 10 years of crappy football.

When we suffered thru the Helfrich final years it was not a guarantee that we would get back to this caliber of football. While I will complain about him for making poor coaching choices, I am happy that Oregon made sure Dan Lanning will be our coach for many more years.

You know, JB, you're right.  I'm glad he's our coach as well.  

• Applause 1

On 10/14/2023 at 10:18 PM, Wood Duck said:

I don't think we should assume that Cam automatically makes those untried field goals.

He only needed to make one of those chip shots and if Dan new something he should put someone else in there.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2023 at 10:22 PM, Dave23 said:

He only needed to make one of those chip shots and if Dan new something he should put someone else in there.

Good Lord yes! I am 77 years old and probably had a 80% chance of making at least one of those two FGs at the end of the half (disclosure, I enjoy placekicking every now and then at a local venue when I can get someone to go with me).

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

So what happened today? Well, No more Bo for Heisman and we just played the toughest team on our schedule and lost so no more NCG game talk. So we just win out and play another Alamo Bowl. Am I angry? No, disappointed? yes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no complaints.  The team played their hearts out.  The coach was aggressive and there is no looking back.  This game showed me that the boys played with a lot of grit ... getting a couple of bad non-calls from the refs and down a couple of DBs.

Great game.  We just ended up on the short end to a very good team.  NEXT UP!  GO DUCKS!!

• Thumbs Up 4

I do not see this game as program defining at all.  Nor last year's or the damn Beaver game (almost pun intended). 

We just witnessed a duplication of last year's game on steroids.  It is absolutely improbable that Penix would not only duplicate the TD fest, but against in your face pressure and on your WR's sleeve coverage (several times).  Against a far better defense than last year's. 

I am proud of this team, this effort and though I would have punted and taken the two FGs, I am going to give the Fuskies their due.  They earned this victory. That is going to tick some people off. 

Well I say this:  The Fuskies had to convert TDs and third downs with guys all over them, and Penix had to gut up and execute in pain.  There are a handful of teams capable of coming close to what the Fuskies did today.  I don't see Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State or Alabama putting us under that kind of duress all game.  Not one iota.  

I do see us hanging with all four of those teams RIGHT NOW-in spite of Lanning's aggressiveness.  We passed the eye test today.  Offense, Defense and Special Teams. I do not see any coaching disadvantage -point blank.  The five teams not called Oregon in this post will have to play exactly like the UW players did today to beat us. They will have to catch passes well defended.  They will have to pressure Nix into an imbalanced throws enough times to slow us down.  They will have to play damn near flawless, because it is obvious the Fuskies played a damn near flawless game (and we still should have tied it).  

I believe this team has a high probability of reaching the conference title game, and the playoff.  They are playing championship quality ball in the face of massive pressure against an opponent that forced them to play a perfect game.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 6
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 6

For me is, now that this game was lost, how will this team respond the rest of the way. Certainly there are no gimmies left on the schedule.

Win out sounds good but it will not be easy.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Most, myself included, discounted just how good the dawgs were. Most still are discounting how hard it is to win in a hostile stadium. How else could so many have predicted a decisive win in Seattle?

In a few weeks maybe more people will see Oregon is an extremely good team, getting better every week, led by young warriors.

In the ensuing weeks the anticipation of a rematch will be palpable. I know I can already taste revenge, and it will be sweet.

angry-upset.gif

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2023 at 9:25 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

IF the 4th down conversions had been successful, DL's aggressive strategy would have been applauded for pursuing the win. 

I am glad they all failed.  Evidently Dan needs learning moments and these are them.

At the end of the half INEXCUSABLE, PERIOD END OF FREAKING SENTNECE.

The second to last one, PI, but you can't count on Pac 12 zebras.  Plus we did get the ball back after a stop and scored a TD.

The last one, I'm ok with that one.  Punt, and Penix & Co. use the entire clock to beat us.  Instead, time left to drive for what should have been the tying FG. 

Hey Dan, learn baby learn, and then win baby win will follow.

I do see a rematch in Vegas and then we'll see if our coaches did their homework.

This game also reminded me a bit of the BCS vs Auburn where Cam was damaged at the end ofthe game, Penix looked that way too.  It is just a shame we didn't get to OT to see if that was the case.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 9:33 PM, Cacker Guy said:

I hope he learns...

DL may have a bit of a stubborn streak. How else can you explain him making the same mistake 2 years in a row against the same team.

I am glad the Ducks extended Dan. He has upgraded the talent on this team to the point that the Ducks are capable of competing against anyone.

But he is an inexperienced head coach…..and it is showing. This is only his 2nd year as a head coach. I am making an assumption that after a few more years on the job, hopefully very few, he will not make the same boneheaded calls that cost us two wins against the Huskies.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2023 at 8:23 AM, DUCKED said:

DL may have a bit of a stubborn streak. How else can you explain him making the same mistake 2 years in a row against the same team.

I am glad the Ducks extended Dan. He has upgraded the talent on this team to the point that the Ducks are capable of competing against anyone.

But he is an inexperienced head coach…..and it is showing. This is only his 2nd year as a head coach. I am making an assumption that after a few more years on the job, hopefully very few, he will not make the same boneheaded calls that cost us two wins against the Huskies.

How did Saban or Smart look at this point in their careers?

"Methinks thou dost protest too much."

I am as disappointed in the outcome as anyone, but we are going to have a few growing pains, and if CDL can keep this transport on the right trajectory, he could definitely prove to be Mr. Right... Just maybe not Mr. Right NOW! (How's that for a mixed metafor?)

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/15/2023 at 8:23 AM, DUCKED said:

Completely agree; DL has transformed this team like none other could.  I certainly want him as our coach long-term, but three losses to rivals in two years over passing up field goals?

When do you learn?  How many more losses does it take? 

Cristobal blew a game or two a year to teams we should not have lost to, and Lanning is doing the same thing via a different method.

The Huskies were better on defense than I thought they would be, and Oregon’s defense was not as strong as I thought we’d be.

Take the damn points!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I don't feel any differently about this team, I'm not sure how you could ask much more out of the players.

That said, Lanning's in-game decisions are a work in progress.  All 4th down attempts are not the same, I totally agree with that last attempted conversion, it was very makable and if it succeeds then it's victory formation.  Penix is too good to give him the last possession, even if it does wind up being a long field for him our corners were pretty dinged and he has more than enough time to put together a game-winning drive.

However I hated not taking the field goals earlier, especially the one right before halftime.  There was no advantage to giving them a long field if we failed on the TD conversion since it was the last play of the half.  Sure Cam has struggled a bit as of late, but that was essentially an extra point which he hasn't missed yet this year.  Take the damn free points and go into haltime with some momentum.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2023 at 7:55 AM, Steven A said:

I am glad they all failed.  Evidently Dan needs learning moments and these are them.

At the end of the half INEXCUSABLE, PERIOD END OF FREAKING SENTNECE.

The last one, I'm ok with that one.  Punt, and Penix & Co. use the entire clock to beat us.  Instead, time left to drive for what should have been the tying FG. 

100% agree. Thank you. No way you voluntarily give the ball back to Penix with 2 minutes to go even on their 1 yard line.

Definitely take the points at the end of the first half. It FEELS like you are playing with house money since you get the ball back in the second half, but that is a fallacy.

Your behind and there is half a game to go with two competitive defenses. That's reality. Same could be said in the 3rd quarter although we were in bigger trouble at that point.

• Thumbs Up 2

The decision at the end of the first half? I would have kicked it. Oregon would have entered halftime with the lead ready to receive the ball at the start of the second half. Given the way the first half had gone, this would not have been a bad outcome. 

Why did DL try to score a touchdown instead? Perhaps he lacked confidence in his defense's ability to limit the UW. Florence was not having much success (apart from the INT); Khyree may not have been in good health. The defense had not achieved many stops between the first series and the interception. He may have applied the adage "you can't beat an explosive offense kicking fieldgoals." 

The decision at midfield at the end? I agreed with the decision. My problem was with the playcall or execution. Franklin had single coverage to the right, but not appear to the the primary read. Our two receivers on the left side appeared to run to the same spot. Curious. 

The third decision to "go for it"? Honestly, I can't recall, and I do not have the heart at this point to watch the game in review. 

Edited by Triphibius

Coming into the game Oregon was 8 for 10 when going for it on 4th down. This no doubt influenced DL's decision-making. 

My biggest beef with the coaching? Before going for it on 4th down from mid-field with UW out of TOs, why on 3rd and 2 did Bucky not get the handoff instead of James? Bucky is far better at creating his own run lanes and in yards after contact. 

And in general, I think there was more opportunity, especially with Oregon rushing for 204 yards for Bird Bomb throws.

OK, Danno, that's 2. Kirby, no one deeper than the deepest on Tua's championship game walk-off TD throw, And the ridiculous Justin Field's fake punt attempt. 

We rush for over 200 yards and LOSE?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/15/2023 at 9:07 AM, Triphibius said:

The decision at the end of the first half? I would have kicked it. Oregon would have entered halftime with the lead ready to receive the ball at the start of the second half. Given the way the first half had gone, this would not have been a bad outcome. 

Why did DL try to score a touchdown instead?

I'm in the minority here but I didn't mind Dan Lanning going for it on 4th and short at the end of the first half.  We received a "free possession" from a gift interception (i.e., playing with house money) and a TD would have given Oregon a lead heading into halftime and we were going to receive the ball to start the second half.  As someone mentioned, Oregon was converting ~80% of fourth down heading into this game.

The play calls on fourth downs were head scratching in both design and execution. 

On 10/14/2023 at 8:02 PM, Duck 68 said:

On the next to final drive, the Ducks made nothing on 3rd down and 4th down. That hurt. The worst coaching decision was not getting 3 right before the half. Lanning does so many things right that the mistakes get magnified. We zealous fans need to chill. I think the Ducks will run the table and redeem themselves against the Dawgs on a neutral field in Las Vegas. Keep the faith. 

Agreed. We get another first down and we are taking a knee and running out the clock.

Not taking the three points going into the half seems foolish. As well as Bo not running in that situation. Bo not running limits us in those situations

Our defense was getting home at the end. Penix was barley able to fish that game with hits we were putting on him in the fourth quarter. Dude was clearly the difference.

We are the better team. Which includes coaching. We both get to Pac 12 title game we win by two scores.

Edited by Fitnessczar
misspelled words

On 10/15/2023 at 12:06 PM, Fitnessczar said:

Penix was barley able to fish that game with hits we were putting in him in the fourth quarter. Dude was clearly the difference.

As much as it pains me to admit, perhaps Penix should win the Heisman this season.  What would the score have been yesterday (or last year) without him? 

Overall, Washington would be a middle of the Pac team without Penix.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/15/2023 at 12:16 PM, OregonDucks said:

As much as it pains me to admit, perhaps Penix should win the Heisman this season.  What would the score have been yesterday (or last year) without him? 

Overall, Washington would be a middle of the Pac team without Penix.

In my mind, Penix won the Heisman yesterday. Dudes a warrior. Hats off to such a gritty performance

There is a thin line between ego and analytics, and a wise coach will know which side to employ in a given game-time moment.   Tough loss.

This is still an awesome team and I'm looking forward to a rematch in Vegas. 

Hey that #11 backup corner is better than the starter he replaced. 

• Thumbs Up 1