Massduck

What Did ASU Do That We Didn’t or Couldn’t Do?

I did not get to see the Washington versus Arizona State game. But looking at the stats and scoreboard had me wondering how the Sun Devils could hold the Huskies to only field goals while our Ducks gave up touchdowns?

Were the Huskies just hung over or did Arizona State expose something in the Fusky offense that we missed?

Just curious as to your thoughts. 

Edited by Smith72
capitalize titles

Penix played awfully and couldn't hit throws he'd normally make in his sleep. The Husky defense played ok... Though they got away with murder in terms of the non called penalties. 

But really if we had this Husky team that was fast asleep for the majority of the game Oregon would have won 42-6. The Huskies were just not taking ASU seriously and were sleep walking expecting to put up 50+ for no work. 

The fact that the game was a 7:30 start time was probably a factor as well.

Washington played poorly against Arizona as well and that was another late night game. They may be like Colorado... They only want to play in prime TV spots and won't wake up for a game late at night. 

• Like 1

Penix did not look remotely like the same QB that we saw.  I really think that UofO broke him a little bit.  He was tentative, not crisp with his throws, and didn't seem to have the connection with his WR's that he had previously.

Without that pick-six, ASU wins that game.  UW did NOT score an offensive touchdown and that was due to Penix's ineffectivness.  

Again, I think he was hurt in the UofO game by the hits he took.

• Thumbs Up 3

I watched the game and ASU was just absolutely more physical than Washington. I think Washington was a little hung over from the Oregon win. However, I think this also goes to show how talented the PAC is this year. 
If ASU plays Oregon the way they played Washington, then I am nervous really nervous about this match up.

Hung over, had a week off prior, and ABSOLUTELY horrible swallowing of flag late in 4th with ASU up 7 - 6 a few plays just before pick 6.

It just doesn't get any worse than this.

This is one of the only things I will miss about Pac 12.

• Wow 4
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Penix didnt look very good the whole game. I think Oregon's D last week had something to do with that.

On 10/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, Steven A said:

Hung over, had a week off prior, and ABSOLUTELY horrible swallowing of flag late in 4th with ASU up 7 - 6 a few plays just before pick 6.

I think the pac-12 refs got a lot of flack over the past couple years for throwing too many flags and doing too many replays and slowing the games downtown ok much... Which they were doing. 

But now they just let way too much stuff go without flagging the blatant stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe that the refs picked up the PI flag.  It was one of the most blatant PIs that you'll ever see with the CB pulling on the WR's jersey not once but twice, while the ball was in the air.

• Thumbs Up 1

Washington flat out SUCKED last night.

Without their servile PAC12 refs this game goes to ASU.

• Thumbs Up 2

Besides playing an abnormal amount of late games, the PAC 12 also covers the most diverse geographical footprint of any conference.

Pac teams could be playing in desert heat, snow, rain, high winds, and my eyes are burning smog all in the same weekend. 

Just another reason it is difficult to go undefeated. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

ASU had a solid top 10 team go in and beat the crud out of their opponent the week before. That usually helps.

• Thumbs Up 3

I am sure Lanning and Dilly had a good chat last week.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 10:50 AM, David Marsh said:

Though they got away with murder in terms of the non called penalties. 

A touchdown was denied ASU because the back judge could not see the holding of the jersey in two places by the UW DB on the ASU receiver.  ASU went for it on 4th down and failed...  Like the ball on the ground by a Husky receiver against us that was counted as a catch and was crucial in one of their drives.  They are getting the key calls or ignored calls that change games...

Husky cheating.jpg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Penix had to receive medical attention during last game. This game, he looked like a wounded QB trying to play through injury. 

• Thumbs Up 2

There are hangovers, and then there are massive, migraine hangovers.

ASU is UW's nemesis. UW is now 5-19 all-time vs. ASU. Last year's loss at ASU denied UW a trip to the 2022 champ game.

UW's 1st win in 22 years without scoring a TD on O. 13 rush yards by UW is the lowest total in a win in 25 years.

Another 4th down folly, this time by Dilly.

ASU was up 7-6 late in the 4th quarter and had the ball 4th and 3 on the UW 12-yard line. ASU's D had dominated the Huskies. Instead of kicking a FG to push the lead to 4, Dilly goes for it and it's a Pick 6 and the winning points for UW. SIGH.

As Charles so noted, bad referring (what's new out West) but kick the darn FG. In the last 2 seasons J. Smith, Dan Lanning, and Dilly, have left points on the board in one score defeats in Seattle.

Fortunately for UW, the game was played late at night on FS1. AP voters must have been asleep and not watching because UW remains ranked at #5. 

I think this game was more of a case of what UW did not do instead of what ASU did. 

Next up for UW, at Stanford at 7 PM Saturday again on FS1.

Meanwhile, 9. Oregon trips to 13. Utah to play The Wizard of the Wasatch in the game of the day. (Thank you, Jon Wilner, for the Wizard reference.)

Oregon opened at -3.5. This is only 1 of 2 top 25 vs. top 25 games being played on 11/28. (The other is 18. Louisville vs. 20. Duke.) If GameDay is not in SLC, where else is it going to go?

Kyle Whittingham had a terrific comment after the great and gutty win by Utah against now 24. ranked USC - (paraphrase) 'Our pig farmer QB (UTES walk-on QB Bryson Barnes grew up on a pig farm) beat the Heisman-winning QB.'

This was Utah's 4th straight W over USC. One program has guts and is greater than the sum of its parts, and then there is USC.

Oregon best show up in SLC with a bad attitude and ready to play ball from the jump. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sounds like a consensus- Huskies and Penix played like their old Butt sniffing selves aided by the PAC 12 refs. 

thank you Duck buddies for the summary!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ducks would have breezed past UW had they come out wearing ASU uniforms.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/22/2023 at 10:51 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Again, I think he was hurt in the UofO game by the hits he took.

I agree with this statement! Penix was in pain by the middle of the 4th against OBD. If the Beavis continue to hit him he will not be available for Fuskies v OBD in Lost Wages!!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2023 at 12:20 PM, Tjack said:

Ducks would have breezed past UW had they come out wearing ASU uniforms.

Now THAT is a great first post.  Welcome to the forum, and do post often--especially if there is humor!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

All of the above plus the mongrel masses in the stadium sounded more like a Stanford crowd until the last couple of minutes.

• Applause 1

Crap-12 officiating is one thing I'll be happy to see fade into history

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It was raining too...Penix not built for mutt land 

• Like 1

The luck of the refs is another thing you can't count on all season. We are not the only ones who are looking at this today and wondering why they blew it.

Next time the dawgs may not get that call, then again this is the Pac-12 refs.

J Duck, did you watch the Penn State/Ohio State game yesterday? Woefully inconsistent on calls and non-calls.

The B1G refs in Iowa stole the Hawkeyes game-winning punt return. The only ones confused by whether or not the player signaled for a fair catch were the refs. None of the Minnesota players thought that a fair catch was called or held up on the play because of a fair catch signal.

And I still haven't forgiven B1G refs for not calling Dyer down.

I think there is equal opportunity for bad refereeing across the CFB landscape. 

But Pac-12 refs are always in contention to be the most rotten apples in the barrel. Dilly's 4th down attempt in the 4th quarter last night was another case of not taking the points. But how the refs could have waived off PI the play before is beyond me.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2023 at 5:10 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And I still haven't forgiven B1G refs for not calling Dyer down.

💯

• Thanks 1

As much as I would have loved to see the fuskies get beat yesterday. I think the Ducks path to the CFP is through a no loss fuskie team in Vegas. I might be wrong, but it would be to our advantage to beat stronger better ranked teams down the stretch. I was happy that the Utes beat USuC because I think everyone in the nation except the USuC fan base know the real condoms. We will be heavely favored in our home game against them. Provided we can beat the Utes in the hostile confines of Eccles stadium and win the two games we should win before the condoms come to Autzen. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 5:10 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Dilly's 4th down attempt in the 4th quarter last night was another case of not taking the points.

The announcers were saying how much trouble ASU has had in field goal attempts this season.  Perhaps Dilly does not have confidence in his field goal kicker and that is why he went for it on 4th down.

• Thumbs Up 1

ASU would've ran away from dub with a legit QB.  Dillingham's game plan was brilliant! 

I agree with earlier post about Penix being not being full speed after Oregon game.  Sadly Pac 12 beats the crap out of each other with that 9th game unlike the SEC who schedules SW Missouri to rest up.  Probably the main reason the PAC hasn't been represented well in the CFP.

BTW the dawgs got beat up a couple times on PI calls too.  The refs were definitely not throwing the flags last night like they were happy to do against the ducks and Bridges last week.

OregonDucks - Great point in Dilly having perhaps, no confidence in his kicker, who did have an FG blocked earlier in the game.

But from the 12-yard line, you have to think that the kicker had a better shot of kicking the ball than going for it on 4th and 3.

And your D has been playing tremendous football it's late in the game. Worst case, you turn the ball over to UW on its own 12. 

In my old-school opinion, kick the darn FG!

• Applause 1

What the Ducks couldn't do:

They couldn't go into the game as a 1-6 total rebuild team, after UW just escaped the previous week with a very emotional win against a top 10 team and arch rival.

They couldn't play against a Penix that was totally banged up from the many hits he took in the 4th quarter the previous week.

They couldn't play against a Penix that, for the first time this year was mostly ineffective, throwing several picks and no touchdowns.

They couldn't surprise the Huskies with an unexpected very good defense, because the Huskies KNEW we had a very good defense and prepared for it.

What the Ducks did do:

They followed the extremely close and emotional UW vs UO game with an impressive and dominant win over a very good WSU team who was ranked most of the year... while UW DID NOT play well at all and almost fumbled the game away against one of the worst teams (this year) in all of D1 college football.

See ya in December, Dawgs.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

A bit more on ASU.

In its last 3 games, ASU has held opponents to 4.5 yards per play (YPP) and overachieved SP+ D projections by 13.2 points a game.

UW averaged 5.2 YPP after giving up 6.8 YPP to OREGON, which was its lowest total of the season before the ASU game.

Against WSU, the OREGON D surrendered 7 YPP.

At Stanford should not be a problem for UW. But then it's at USC, Utah, at Oregon State, and the Apple Cup vs. a fired-up WSU.

As many of us noted in the preseason, running any schedule with 1 L with 9 conference games this season will be one heck of a feat.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 10/22/2023 at 5:49 PM, candyduck said:

ASU would've ran away from dub with a legit QB.  Dillingham's game plan was brilliant! 

If Jaden De Laura were not injured they definitely would've had the upset of the year.

On 10/23/2023 at 1:17 PM, kirklandduck said:

If Jaden De Laura were not injured they definitely would've had the upset of the year.

He's actually the Arizona QB.  Think they would've beat dub with him in there too.

From what I watched of the game their dbs were 8 to 10 yards off. So they were impossible to beat deep.

it also meant they were engaging mid routes as they were developing. So were in position to make a play.

I saw NO short crossing or hook routes the entire time I watched.

Thus Washington had to sustain drives. Something that is hard to do with no running game.

Add to it the pain Penix was in after our game. I still don't know how he finished. Adrenaline is something else.

I didn't watch the Arizona game , but heard they used a similar approach.

We have better corners so decided to stay in press coverage all game.

On 10/23/2023 at 1:35 PM, candyduck said:

He's actually the Arizona QB.  Think they would've beat dub with him in there too.

Oops I meant Jaden Rashada. It's getting hard keeping track of all the players nowadays...at least for me lol

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2023 at 1:42 PM, Fitnessczar said:

From what I watched of the game their dbs were 8 to 10 yards off. So they were impossible to beat deep.

it also meant they were engaging mid routes as they were developing. So were in position to make a play.

I saw NO short crossing or hook routes the entire time I watched.

Thus Washington had to sustain drives. Something that is hard to do with no running game.

Add to it the pain Penix was in after our game. I still don't know how he finished. Adrenaline is something else.

I didn't watch the Arizona game , but heard they used a similar approach.

We have better corners so decided to stay in press coverage all game.

ASU was also sending 5 linemen to pressure Pennix often, resulting in him having to scramble out of the pocket and throw under pressure while moving.  That greatly diminished his accuracy and made the job easier for the DBs.

On 10/23/2023 at 2:09 PM, kirklandduck said:

Oops I meant Jaden Rashada. It's getting hard keeping track of all the players nowadays...at least for me lol

Completely understand!😁  I wasn't sure what was going on with him.  Thought maybe they didn't think he was ready.  Just saw he was injured!

As far as the 💩 muts are concerned it’s hard for me to picture them winning out. Stanford is a gimme but Utah, SC, OS, and WSU are all quite capable of beating the mutskys. 

• Let’s hope! 1

Kirkland, What was the 2nd thing?

You say 'Rashada.' I say, 'I can't remember Momma.'