The Kamikaze Kid

One of These Things is Not Like the Others

Check out how three Duck coaches handle the same question. Can you spot the difference?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I have said it once and I will say it again. We hit the absolute lottery with DL. Truly an amazing human and is well on his way to taking Oregon to the promise land. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

Thanks for posting that Kamakazi Kid!

I thought the same thing last night, how DL’s predecessors disingenuously answered the same questions.

Isn’t it refreshing to have a coach speak from his heart rather than a script?

Go Ducks, DOMINATE ASU!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Two of those coaches made me develop an eye twitch seeing them in Duck colors.

I'll let you guess which two.

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Disclaimer: I’m being sarcastic about everyone but DL.

IMHO all three said the same thing… 😜

Just because the first two sound like used car salesmen (sorry to anyone who’s a used car salesman) that you’d choke out with your bare hands doesn’t mean a thing.

The problem is DL diverted from “coach speak” (which the other two did beautifully) by being clear, concise, and to the point that him leaving was not happening!

The other two are top tier BLOVIATORS and we know first hand the teams who bought their BS… either regret, or, are regretting ever choosing them. As my grandpa always said “You can’t polish a turd!”

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

As reported by OregonLive....he has 7 million a year, with a million in deferred compensation, meaning it is actually EIGHT million a year.  If he wins either of the next two games--he has a year added to the contract at 8.2 million.

That doesn't suck.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Every time I see slick Willy I get somewhat nauseated. He chased the golden ring and subsequently ended up being discarded to the coaching trash heap. 

It sure would be interesting to hear players speak candidly that played under both Cristobal and Lanning. 

There are obvious differences to the fans that have watched the style of play, but I would love to hear their perspective on the differences.

To me it is obvious that Lanning has a much higher football IQ for today’s college game and uses his key players so much better. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I was at the Hall of Fame ceremony when Rich Brooks was inducted.  It was clear that night he learned how to develop OBD into a perennial title contender.  He figuratively built a Lego Land version of the Duck (think of our mascot lol))  that put Oregon on the list of future Blue Bloods. 

If you include Chip Kelly, three coaches left unfinished business on the table, and all three threw away damn good shots at a national championship.  For each one of them.  

Think about that for a moment.  All three had the talent, and two of them had  the type of offense and defense to make it happen (the third flat out abandoned the most lethal offense Oregon has ever had in the history of the program).

I truly believe Cristobal made the right choice, because, as Miami is learning, he doesn't have the chops to turn a program into a champion   (now he gets paid for their folly).

Taggart was an absolute fool.  He hadn't learned how to develop any school into a champion, and walked away from the best talent he ever coached ( and recruited for that matter).  It was all there for him to put together, and he shattered the paradigm that Oregon couldn't recruit elite talent 

Poor Chip didn't realize professional football players don't give a damn about football.  Watching Chip fundamentally transform that game of football was thrilling to say the least.  Yet Chip proved brilliant football acumen is no match for greed and self interest.

Which brings me to one of the best young minds I've ever seen in the sport.  Always prepared, thoughtful, and diabolically strategic. The guy can motivate, and is a superb leader.  Everything one wants in an executive walks into Oregon's pressroom every Monday and remind us what world class excellence looks like.  

We are extremely fortunate.  We are witnessing history.  Dan Lanning is giving Oregon it's best shot to finish what Rich Brooks started. 

• Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 4
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

I’ll never forgive MariNOO for what he did to Herbert. He should be sued for negligence.

• Like 1

A close listen to Taggert’s and Cristobal’s answers compared to Lanning’s shows the first two throw the question back at the asker (the use of ‘you’), while DL owns his answer by referencing only himself.

Like people with hidden agendas that get caught in their own lies, they defensively deflect, while DL doesn’t hide behind his answer because he has nothing to offer but the truth. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Great post K kid!

I will say this, as much as those 2 coaches left us feeling jilted, disrespected and lied to, I am thankful that they came to Oregon.

It was an uncomfortable time, but coach Lanning wasn't ready for us yet.

Slick Willy broke the barrier of elite talent wanting to come to Oregon. 

Mari0 expanded that and showed what good recruiting could do.

And both left.

Giving AD Mullens the opportunity to stumble into the hire of the century.

For that, I will never hate on those previous two, without them, we might never know how great being a Duck can be.

So go get ASU coach and then pound those river rats! I want them dawgs!

• Applause 1

On 11/14/2023 at 6:57 PM, TXDuck said:

As my grandpa always said “You can’t polish a turd!”

Very true. But you can flush it so it ends up somewhere else. 

All sales are final!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/14/2023 at 11:44 AM, DanLduck said:

Giving AD Mullens the opportunity to stumble into the hire of the century.

The single most important thing Mullens ever did was hiring Lanning.  Our gripes about Rob should end immediately, because he did not do just one thing right...

He did the most important thing right for the entire athletic program.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/14/2023 at 10:09 AM, Charles Fischer said:

As reported by OregonLive....he has 7 million a year, with a million in deferred compensation, meaning it is actually EIGHT million a year.  If he wins either of the next two games--he has a year added to the contract at 8.2 million.

That doesn't suck.

And incentives if he wins the conference, makes the playoff, wins a major bowl game (of which a CFP semi final counts) and another bonus if he wins a national championship. 

He gets a bonuses for appearing in those games and another for winning them! 

Slick to FSU and MariNo to Miami both made tons more sense than DL going to aTm.    I just don't see the upside here for DL.

The only thing that would've made Lanning's presser better is if he had made some kind of memory quote like, "They can pry this Oregon football from my cold, dead hands!"

• Cool 1

On 11/14/2023 at 1:35 PM, kirklandduck said:

The only thing that would've made Lanning's presser better is if he had made some kind of memory quote like, "They can pry this Oregon football from my cold, dead hands!"

How about " Prop me up beside the goal post if I die: Joe Diffie" 

• Thumbs Up 1

The best thing about Coach Lanning is that he really is only focused on 2 things:

The 1% improvement by the staff and players!

Beating ASU.

No Natty without improvement and destroying ASU. OBD's get passed by bama and texas with a mediocre win in the desert.

Go Ducks.........

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dan Lanning is awesome!

In an interesting note, Kalen DeBoer confirmed that he's in contract extension talks with the University of Washington... he's posturing himself for a big payday if he doesn't leave for ATM... I think he'll leave. He knows when Michael Penix is gone that he no longer has a competitive QB and his long-term value will go down below what ATM would offer. It really comes down to then, in my opinion, if ATM wants DeBoer or Elko.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry in advance for being long winded!!

I was thinking about this last night and thought I'd start a new topic but it's just as easy to add to this.

DL is a breath of fresh air (so to speak) to the Oregon program!  He's bringing back stability some of us old folks were accustomed to.  After Brooks and Belotti staffs, did you think any of their successors truly bought into the Eugene/Oregon lifestyle?  Of course MH did if he could only coach.

Chip was salivating over a chance to do his thing in the NFL.  I met a huge eagles fan on vacation after they hired Chip.  He was so excited they got him.  I said be careful of what you wish for, he might do well his first year till the speed of NFL defenses figure it out, then he'll get ran out.  

Free Willy had some great quotes I think he stored away his whole life that I admit I fell for.  Mario was the badass dude from Miami glory days with a great story.  Obviously, he must've been liked by the players enough to keep him around.  I saw about 5 minutes of the FSU/U game.  Long enough to see a run play up the middle on 3rd and 8 at a crucial part of the game.  SAME OL MARIO!

Now Mullens goes out and gets DL!!  Many were saying who the heck(keeping it clean) is this guy!  We need someone bigger with head coaching pedigree!  He's only 30 something.  How's he going to lead this program?  I even saw one post on here saying he can't hire  a good staff because it wasn't diverse enough.  I wasn't posting but I was thinking, dude, I don't care what a person's skin color is as long as the coaches can coach!!  Low and behold, he has an extremely diverse staff and they all can coach!!

Then came Will Stein...once again, why would DL hire this young guy from UTSA??  Well we found out why real quick.  Bo's had two OCs that could potentially land him and the Ducks another Heisman.

Yes DL is all football but all family too!  Two very hard things to balance but it looks like him and his family, Eugene and the state of Oregon are a great fit for each other!

The reality is Tosh and Will will eventually leave in today's age of coaches being pulled away from solid for HC positions but something tells me DL is 5 deep in candidates at each coaching position on his list.  Heck, DL is so detailed, he's probably got someone lined out to make Phil's game day meals if his current chef leaves.

Yeah he's had some crushing defeats for us Duck fans but I'm sure he's learned from each one.  I doubt he'll be 0-fer in rivalry games much longer if you know what I mean.  Think he looked into some of those players eyes after the dub game and said I don't ever want to see this again!

He and his staff are going to battle every day for every player that sticks around now and forever...something many young men have never been exposed to.  Willie and Mario love the flashy quotes and money.  DL is perfectly fine making a great wage and a place to raise his family.  Again something that resonates with players who want to be leaders.  Players who want to be followers and want to look good doing it will go elsewhere.  See Lincoln and SC or even TAMU.

Mullens struck out a few times but he's hit a home run with DL.  Us fans are in for a fun ride for a long time in my rambling opinion!  Of course I'm a homer but at his age is an all time wins record a possibility...maybe?

I promise I'm done now!!

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2023 at 2:53 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

Dan Lanning is awesome!

In an interesting note, Kalen DeBoer confirmed that he's in contract extension talks with the University of Washington... he's posturing himself for a big payday if he doesn't leave for ATM... I think he'll leave. He knows when Michael Penix is gone that he no longer has a competitive QB and his long-term value will go down below what ATM would offer. It really comes down to then, in my opinion, if ATM wants DeBoer or Elko.

Wouldn't that be hilarious that USC, UCLA, and UW would be in various stages of dumpster fires going into the B10 next season?

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/14/2023 at 6:25 PM, kirklandduck said:

Wouldn't that be hilarious that USC, UCLA, and UW would be in various stages of dumpster fires going into the B10 next season?

I really don’t think A&M is serious about DeBoer. He’s a great coach, but they need someone who can recruit Texas and the South. DeBoer hasn’t done a really great job of recruiting the West Coast. Transfers are fine for filling gaps, but you need a solid foundation. 

IF Kalen DeBoer (and that's a big IF) is half the man Dan Lanning is why would he want to leave UW?  He's practically worshipped there right now and Penix has one more year of eligibility (assuming he doesn't leave, which he shouldn't if he's smart).  But even if Penix does declare for the draft DeBoer will find or develop another QB.

It's a hard thing for me to say but DeBeor is a darned good football coach and if given the support at UW that Lanning's getting here at Oregon, UW should be just fine with him at the helm.  I think if another team like A&M comes knocking (or even if not) DeBoer is in for a very nice compensation package regardless of whether or not UW wins the Conference Championship.  The UW program is in a place right now it hasn't been for a very long time.  

I hate the Huskies but I respect them as a football team and DeBoer as a coach.  I don't think UW will want to let him get poached.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2023 at 4:11 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I really don’t think A&M is serious about DeBoer. He’s a great coach, but they need someone who can recruit Texas and the South. DeBoer hasn’t done a really great job of recruiting the West Coast. Transfers are fine for filling gaps, but you need a solid foundation. 

I don't think DeBoer would leave UW either, I don't think he really has recruiting connections practically anywhere let alone in Texas.  He's probably going to get a large contract extension by the end of the season then continue his crappy recruiting ranked in the 50's because he's got his payday.  Then it'll be interesting to see how his QB situation turns out after Pennix leaves.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2023 at 5:49 PM, Mic said:

He's practically worshipped there right now and Penix has one more year of eligibility (assuming he doesn't leave, which he shouldn't if he's smart).

Huh?  This is the final year at Montlake for Penix. It was considered a bit of a surprise that he even returned for his senior season.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2023 at 7:11 PM, ElPatoUO said:

Huh?  This is the final year at Montlake for Penix. It was considered a bit of a surprise that he even returned for his senior season.

Oh.  I was under the understanding that he had one more year.  Thanks for correcting me.  Well, I still think DeBoer will likely stay but seriously, who really knows nowadays given the insane salaries some schools are willing to cough up for a good coach?  Has anyone heard any rumors to the effect T A&M is interested in him?

There are a lot of people that are saying he's in their top few or so, alongside the likes of Mike Elko, Lane Kiffin, and Jeff Traylor of UTSA. Then there's him saying that he's in contract extension talks with UW, instead of emphatically stating that he's not going to leave UW.

The most interesting I think leading candidate is actually Dabo Swinney. He seems tired of Clemson and when asked about ATM, he said: 

"I'm just focused on this job ... Always have been. Just trying to beat North Carolina. It must be November—that's all I can say."

Very interesting reply. So I think it's going to be either DeBoer, Dabo, Kiffin, Elko, or Traylor.

Although Josh Pate just posted a video 12 minutes ago. So I haven't watched it yet, but he's usually pretty good so I'll post the link here.

https://youtu.be/syoLEL7iUcY?si=lxNa8fVbNi1hc8NT

On 11/14/2023 at 8:12 PM, Mic said:

Oh.  I was under the understanding that he had one more year.  Thanks for correcting me.  Well, I still think DeBoer will likely stay but seriously, who really knows nowadays given the insane salaries some schools are willing to cough up for a good coach?  Has anyone heard any rumors to the effect T A&M is interested in him?

Or some schools are willing to cough up to get rid of a coach!!  Glad Oregon has made millions from schools or the pros who have hired the likes of Chip, Willie and Mario away from Oregon.  Best stock tip ever...hire a crappy coach, let "their" university hire them away, take the buyout money and invest in a real coach. 

Jimbo's the happiest person in Texas right now!  $76 million to walk away?  He's pretty smart if you ask me.  A man of integrity would say, I didn't get the job done.  How bout you give me 20 million(being generous to him)? I'm good!

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 11:27 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

Although Josh Pate just posted a video 12 minutes ago. So I haven't watched it yet, but he's usually pretty good so I'll post the link here.

https://youtu.be/syoLEL7iUcY?si=lxNa8fVbNi1hc8NT

This is a great video. Pate always has his finger on the CFB pulse, so I find his stuff very informative. The biggest takeaway from this is when he said he knows “definitively” there are coaches in the mix that aren’t on anybody’s radar. We’re talking Riley to USC type of stuff. It’s at the 5:30 point in the video.

• Applause 1

On 11/14/2023 at 11:51 PM, candyduck said:

Or some schools are willing to cough up to get rid of a coach!!  Glad Oregon has made millions from schools or the pros who have hired the likes of Chip, Willie and Mario away from Oregon.  Best stock tip ever...hire a crappy coach, let "their" university hire them away, take the buyout money and invest in a real coach. 

Jimbo's the happiest person in Texas right now!  $76 million to walk away?  He's pretty smart if you ask me.  A man of integrity would say, I didn't get the job done.  How bout you give me 20 million(being generous to him)? I'm good!

Diogenes is still searching for that elusive man with integrity.

Some of these in-season firings because of the early signing day in December I get. But why fire a 6-4 coach coming off of a beatdown win until after December signing day?

It is now early season for poaching  A+M recruits.

BTW for $76M instead of $20M? Dio, don't waste a trip to my door.

There are Fanatics and then there are A+M oil money guys with zero sense of proportion and history-ignorant zealots who believe that A+M is a top-drawer program.

And Danno was supposed to want a part of this? LOL!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

I saw a comment on a story earlier that stated:

”Never pay a man who goes by Jimbo any more money than what is required to fix your car.”

• Haha 1