FishDuck Article

I Am Rooting for the Huskies

Scha·den·freu·de (noun): The emotional experience of pleasure in response to another’s misfortune. Now that you have wiped my title-induced vomit off your screen, let me say that I do understand that I am currently the most unliked guy at FishDuck. Call me what you will, but I will be a Pac-12 guy to the bitter end (i.e. this Monday). And, because ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com ventures into dangerous ground as he declares his support of the Washington Huskies in the National...

• Great post! 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

🤢🤮

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I whole-heartedly agree with the argument put forth in the article.   Us wee folk in the PNW don't often have to face this situation, even less so when it's likely the PNW is going to win.  Washington is helping Oregon by association.    Michigan can go pound sand. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can wait for the west to earn the respect we deserve. That respect should come from Oregon winning it all!

All I know is the dawgs will be insufferable for decades if they win. If the dawgs lose then the whining can continue, and that will be all we need to go along with our Fiesta Bowl win.

Darren, I love everything you have written up to seeing this title. I must say I momentarily questioned your Duck loyalty, but my policy is to agree to disagree.

200w.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

IMO Nothing Washington does helps Oregon, Oregon will get its respect on the field on its own.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 1/4/2024 at 6:27 AM, Haywarduck said:

I can wait for the west to earn the respect we deserve. That respect should come from Oregon winning it all!

All I know is the dawgs will be insufferable for decades if they win. If the dawgs lose then the whining can continue, and that will be all we need to go along with our Fiesta Bowl win.

Darren, I love everything you have written up to seeing this title. I must say I momentarily questioned your Duck loyalty, but my policy is to agree to disagree.

200w.gif

They will be insufferable, but the Ducks can cut that short by winning a title. Oregon has the power, need to Just Do It. UW success should be a motivating factor. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:48 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

IMO Nothing Washington does helps Oregon, Oregon will get its respect on the field on its own.

Yes, the way to earn respect and shutup UW is to win it all. We control that, now gotta do it. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:12 AM, Flyin Vee said:

🤢🤮

Love it! ❤️ 

So many points to speculate on. I will touch on 2.

Washington winning a NC sounds wrong. But Michigan winning, due in part to cheating, is even worse!! I will not root for the Huskies. I truly do want them to lose and here's why. Washington winning a Natty will give them 2 banners. When will be the next time Oregon wins 2 NC's, let alone 3 to out rank the Mutts? But. If the puppies lose then they only have a split championship. When we win ours we will have bragging rights. But, I see your point. If Washington wins and by a fair margin, thats going to make everyone sit up and take notice of the freight train coming to the B!G.

Either way, it's the B!G conference Championship next Monday night. 'B!G, It Just Means More!'

• Wow 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

No chance in hell of rooting for the fuskies. I'm rooting for covid to cancel the whole thing.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Oh no! 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

I have a huge amount of respect for the UW football team. Penix is our Bo. Unlike Caleb Williams who seems as arrogant and self centered as you can get. UW beat the Ducks 3 times in a row of which 2 were this year.

That hurts but the Ducks only have themselves to blame. The Fuskies won fair and square with better coaching. Lesser ranked players beat the Ducks. So much for rankings. I will be reluctantly rooting for the Fuskies to win only because I don't like MI more.

It would be the same regardless of who's playing MI. I do want the Fuskies to lose but I want MI to lose worse. If it were the Beavus I'd be rooting for them as well. In bowl games I feel the need to root for the P12. It's the Pacs last dance so it needs to be the best.  

Oregon doesn't need WA to win to make Oregon losses look better but it won't hurt either. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Thanks Darren, I totally agree with your point.  Thanks for writing and sharing it today.  Schadenfreude is my favorite word of 2023!

Two of my three daughters attended OSU.  My favorite cheered for the Ducks.  The Civil War has been loud and spirited whenever we get together. I cheer for the Beavers when they don't play the Ducks. 

Likewise, the same goes for all the Pac-12.  Except I do experience Schadenfreude when the Trojans lose.

The best point of your article was, "...the greater war is the war against East Coast (especially the south) bias."

Whatever helps us win that war helps Oregon in the future.

Thanks for all of your excellent writing Darren!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I am rooting for the Wolverines.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/4/2024 at 6:57 AM, Darren Perkins said:

Love it! ❤️ 

❤️❤️

• Thumbs Up 1

Is the enemy of my enemy my friend?

• Cool 1

Go Blue

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Obviously, you are free to root for any team you like. But, I completely disagree with your theory that Washington success helps Oregon. The east coast people do not equate Washington wins to mean Oregon is good. They do not spend any energy or time thinking about such things. Thus, the only thing that helps Oregon is for Oregon to beat Washington, Ohio State and Michigan.

Our ability to be the best program in the west and nation is not helped by having the Huskies win a national title. Do you not realize that winning a national title makes Washington the best team on the west coast and the nation. This is exactly what OBD is striving to accomplish. I will not root for the Huskies to accomplish our goals just because some duck fans feel better if we loose to the eventual national champions.

My dislike of the Huskies did not occur overnight. The Huskies have earned my dislike of them over the past five decades of their arrogance towards all things Oregon. Maybe you and other duck fans can ignore the arrogance and hatred that the majority of Washington fans have for Oregon but I cannot. I will be cheering for Michigan to destroy that hated team from the north. 

Do you think Auburn fans cheer for an Alabama national title? Will Ohio State be cheering for Michigan? Did South Carolina fans feel like the football world gave them credit when Clemson won their national titles? 

I am a Duck fan that refuses to live vicariously thru the success of the Washington Husky football program.

GO DUCKS and on Monday night Go Michigan!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3

On 1/4/2024 at 8:07 AM, Smith72 said:

Two of my three daughters attended OSU.  My favorite cheered for the Ducks.

Priceless.

• Applause 1

My word of the day is cen-tri-fuge.  Like my head will be feeling if the ewe dub wins. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

U of O grad living in Seattle…

Even after losing 12 in a row to Oregon, Husky fans projected an air of superiority and ridiculed the fake “O stands for Zero NC’s” program built by Nike $.

My two favorite teams will ALWAYS be OBD’s and whoever is playing “M”.

946CFDFF-7C7E-4D11-9C90-C5BDD4D021F3.jpeg

4865D919-9EAB-499E-8986-3BA393BD5C44.jpeg

Edited by Chas Man
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Great points DP.

East coast bias is a real thing. The only way to affect it is for a left coast team not named USuC to win.

A UW win might help some, but Oregon is hitting the right notes on its own.

I will say this, there are very few coaches (if any) I detest more than Harbaugh. And for different reasons I don't like Michigan much. This team has so much cheating and disregard for the  rules, they should have been banned from playoff. 

On the other hand, Penix has made a believer out of me. That first game this year we pressured and knocked him down...he still threw dimes. And his quick release south paw style looks so weird, you think his accuracy was a fluke. Except he does it game after game.

So I agree with you Darren.

Attack the east coast bias, don't cheer for cheaters and keep the natty in the northwest. 

After all, they did beat us twice this year.

Which means they must be good, cuz we're awesome!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Nope, them wining a title doesn’t help us at all, beyond lifting us a bit for this year. Long term it’s a huge negative on every front.

I could almost accept the argument of it helping the PAC, but that’s moot and in fact a negative moving forward. The Beavers/PAC2 would claim some kind of ownership of a title, don’t want that.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 4

Chas Man. I am also a Duck grad and fan living in Seattle. I 100% agree with your points. The unending supply of arrogance and - frankly, just willingness to just come straight up to anyone wearing a UO shirt and be rude - is bad enough in any year. Imagine how insufferable they will be if they win it Monday? Cannot abide that. I respect the UW team, but....GO BLUE!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

MUSH you Huskies!   

Preach, Brother Darren, preach.

UW wins and the perception of Left Coast ball, all finesse, glitz not guts, does not disappear but it will have an impact on the eve of the Pac-4 headed to the B1G. And it will be a small bow but UW win will tie a small bow on Oregon's season; 2 Ls to the 2023/24 champion by 6 points. Whether or not UW wins Monday night, the Ducks will be a 2024 preseason top 10 team and UW will not.

I have seen two expert predictions that have Michigan winning by 10 plus points and holding UW to 16 points in one prediction and 17 in the other. Huh? Bama put up 20 points on Michigan with a QB and an offense no where close to the abilty of UW. 

In all of football, particularly in CFB, the team with the better QB and O most often wins the game. The best QB Michigan played against OCC and in the B1G was Maryland's Taulia Tag. UM defeated Mayland by 7 points. UM won the game because of its D. Behind McCarthy UM's O was stagnant against Maryland just as it was for but for 1 drive in the 2nd half vs. Bama. And Bama while it gets props for the usual Saint Nick win over UGA and Kirby, was fortunate to beat an Auburn team, a team that lost to NM State, a team with a dysfunctional QB, that was able to consistently run the ball against Bama's D. 

Michigan has not faced a QB as talented as Penix. Played against no O close to level of UW's O. And while the Right Coast media can not stop talking about how great Michigan's D is, the level of competition UM played against in the B1G this season was not close to the level of talent UW played against in the Pac-12. UW won road games at Arizona, Oregon State and USC and a neutral site game against OBD where it was a 9.5 dog. UM defeated Penn State on the road but PSU's O was MIA for most of the season. The Michigan O struggled against an Iowa team that 8-4 Tennessee with a true frosh making his first start at QB destroyed in the Citrus Bowl. Michigan averaged less than 3 yards a carry against Iowa. 

Post game x-rays on Johnson revealed no major damage. Johnson reaggravated a foot injury he has been dealing with for the 2nd half of the season. And as Charles recently pointed out, Penix was a run threat vs. Texas. The UM DL mauled Milroe but Milroe despite the lost yardage on 6 sacks and having to play shortstop on many snaps ran for 63 yards. Bama ran for 172 yards notwithstanding the yardage lost by the UM DL overwhelming the Bama OL on many passing downs.

Will UW fans be insufferable if UW wins the title? Yes. But what's new with that. I want the Pac-12 to go out with perhaps the most ironic championship in the history of CFB. How did 'these guys' screw 'this' up?

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

UW fans be insufferable either way!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 7:06 AM, 1Funduck said:

So many points to speculate on. I will touch on 2.

Washington winning a NC sounds wrong. But Michigan winning, due in part to cheating, is even worse!! I will not root for the Huskies. I truly do want them to lose and here's why. Washington winning a Natty will give them 2 banners. When will be the next time Oregon wins 2 NC's, let alone 3 to out rank the Mutts? But. If the puppies lose then they only have a split championship. When we win ours we will have bragging rights. But, I see your point. If Washington wins and by a fair margin, thats going to make everyone sit up and take notice of the freight train coming to the B!G.

Either way, it's the B!G conference Championship next Monday night. 'B!G, It Just Means More!'k 

Well, if the Ducks can "fulfill their destiny," and win one and beat the Huskies on a regular basis then all (for the most part, is silenced). UW fans weren't really mentioning 1991 during the 13 game losing

streak earlier this decade. We are severely out recruiting UW, so i feel good about regularly beating them. And, Pennix is their Mariota, pretty hard to replace, so you have expect some drop off at QB.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not being able to stomach either program, my new year’s wish is that the championship game end in a tie, and before overtime can begin, disgruntled Texas fans in the Houston area sabotage local power stations causing an outage that forces a premature end to the game, leaving neither team a winner.  This would be followed by Jim Harbaugh’s firing, and an announcement by Michigan that Kalen DeBoer has accepted their offer. 

Not perfect, but would help a little with my pain as a Duck fan.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/4/2024 at 9:23 AM, Steven A said:

Priceless.

I noticed that too.  LOL!

• Thumbs Up 1

May be an image of text that says 'MK M #GoBlue'

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 10:22 AM, SeattleDuck92 said:

Chas Man. I am also a Duck grad and fan living in Seattle. I 100% agree with your points. The unending supply of arrogance and - frankly, just willingness to just come straight up to anyone wearing a UO shirt and be rude - is bad enough in any year. Imagine how insufferable they will be if they win it Monday? Cannot abide that. I respect the UW team, but....GO BLUE!

Yeah, I was exhorted to “Bow down to Washington” in the office this week. And we are supposed to find some level of elevation in their success?

Not I!

GO BLUE!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully Charles relaxes the rules on Monday night, so I and others can troll the closet fuskie fans on here.

On a side note, I hope Michigan wins, but then has to vacate the wins just like USuC did. That way, both sides suffer.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:07 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks Darren, I totally agree with your point.  Thanks for writing and sharing it today.  Schadenfreude is my favorite word of 2023!

Two of my three daughters attended OSU.  My favorite cheered for the Ducks.  The Civil War has been loud and spirited whenever we get together. I cheer for the Beavers when they don't play the Ducks. 

Likewise, the same goes for all the Pac-12.  Except I do experience Schadenfreude when the Trojans lose.

The best point of your article was, "...the greater war is the war against East Coast (especially the south) bias."

Whatever helps us win that war helps Oregon in the future.

Thanks for all of your excellent writing Darren!

Thanks for your support. I just can't bring myself to root for the likes of Michigan and don't even get me started if it was Alabama instead. I do feel the regional, NW, pride. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/4/2024 at 10:14 AM, DanLduck said:

Great points DP.

East coast bias is a real thing. The only way to affect it is for a left coast team not named USuC to win.

A UW win might help some, but Oregon is hitting the right notes on its own.

I will say this, there are very few coaches (if any) I detest more than Harbaugh. And for different reasons I don't like Michigan much. This team has so much cheating and disregard for the  rules, they should have been banned from playoff. 

On the other hand, Penix has made a believer out of me. That first game this year we pressured and knocked him down...he still threw dimes. And his quick release south paw style looks so weird, you think his accuracy was a fluke. Except he does it game after game.

So I agree with you Darren.

Attack the east coast bias, don't cheer for cheaters and keep the natty in the northwest. 

After all, they did beat us twice this year.

Which means they must be good, cuz we're awesome!

The reality is, any successful programs fans are going to be labeled as  "arrogant" by the WSU and OSU's of the world. Let's be honest, Oregon has its share.... just not as many as the Huskies. 

On 1/4/2024 at 11:18 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Hopefully Charles relaxes the rules on Monday night, so I and others can troll the closet fuskie fans on here.

Good idea, since most will not have a dawg-in-the-fight.

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Life is good, and discussion is better when Darren Perkins is writing for FishDuck....

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/4/2024 at 10:44 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Preach, Brother Darren, preach.

UW wins and the perception of Left Coast ball, all finesse, glitz not guts, does not disappear but it will have an impact on the eve of the Pac-4 headed to the B1G. And it will be a small bow but UW win will tie a small bow on Oregon's season; 2 Ls to the 2023/24 champion by 6 points. Whether or not UW wins Monday night, the Ducks will be a 2024 preseason top 10 team and UW will not.

I have seen two expert predictions that have Michigan winning by 10 plus points and holding UW to 16 points in one prediction and 17 in the other. Huh? Bama put up 20 points on Michigan with a QB and an offense no where close to the abilty of UW. 

In all of football, particularly in CFB, the team with the better QB and O most often wins the game. The best QB Michigan played against OCC and in the B1G was Maryland's Taulia Tag. UM defeated Mayland by 7 points. UM won the game because of its D. Behind McCarthy UM's O was stagnant against Maryland just as it was for but for 1 drive in the 2nd half vs. Bama. And Bama while it gets props for the usual Saint Nick win over UGA and Kirby, was fortunate to beat an Auburn team, a team that lost to NM State, a team with a dysfunctional QB, that was able to consistently run the ball against Bama's D. 

Michigan has not faced a QB as talented as Penix. Played against no O close to level of UW's O. And while the Right Coast media can not stop talking about how great Michigan's D is, the level of competition UM played against in the B1G this season was not close to the level of talent UW played against in the Pac-12. UW won road games at Arizona, Oregon State and USC and a neutral site game against OBD where it was a 9.5 dog. UM defeated Penn State on the road but PSU's O was MIA for most of the season. The Michigan O struggled against an Iowa team that 8-4 Tennessee with a true frosh making his first start at QB destroyed in the Citrus Bowl. Michigan averaged less than 3 yards a carry against Iowa. 

Post game x-rays on Johnson revealed no major damage. Johnson reaggravated a foot injury he has been dealing with for the 2nd half of the season. And as Charles recently pointed out, Penix was a run threat vs. Texas. The UM DL mauled Milroe but Milroe despite the lost yardage on 6 sacks and having to play shortstop on many snaps ran for 63 yards. Bama ran for 172 yards notwithstanding the yardage lost by the UM DL overwhelming the Bama OL on many passing downs.

Will UW fans be insufferable if UW wins the title? Yes. But what's new with that. I want the Pac-12 to go out with perhaps the most ironic championship in the history of CFB. How did 'these guys' screw 'this' up?

Great points, Jon. And, I agree, UM will be in for a surprise for how lethal the Husky offense is when seeing it person. "Go Pac-12!" That's what I'll chant when the Huskies roll it up on UM. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Life is good, and discussion is better when Darren Perkins is writing for FishDuck....

Thanks. I had a "small" hunch the title might grab a few people's attention.  Oops. ; )

• Applause 1

A fusky win just makes us little brother of the NW.  Frick that.  Won't do a thing to change East Coast/SEC bias (well Georgia would have beaten them both blah blah blah).

Grudging respect for Penix and Deboer, at least they're not Huard or New-Weasel or Lame-Fright.  Still wouldn't make me pull for them if you put a gun to my head.

Now ask me how I really feel ha ha.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:27 AM, Haywarduck said:

All I know is the dawgs will be insufferable for decades if they win.

No. They will be insufferable as long as they have more championships than the Ducks. That, hopefully, will not be decades.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Thankfully, with the advent of the 12-team playoff next year, the short straw will be burned at the stake."

Thus ended the article. What I've been thinking since the teams were announced, is that if we were in the 12 team playoff started this year, the Liberty Flames would have been in it. One of the other teams would have played them first! That team would be counting their lucky stars to be able to play Liberty in the playoff. That team, by the way, would not have been Oregon. I assume it would have been the #5 rated team in the playoff. Hopefully, next year, if we are not one of the top 4 with a bye, we will be #5 with next year's "Liberty".

On 1/4/2024 at 11:40 AM, Darren Perkins said:

The reality is, any successful programs fans are going to be labeled as  "arrogant" by the WSU and OSU's of the world. Let's be honest, Oregon has its share.... just not as many as the Huskies. 

OBD football use to be worse than what OSU and WSU are currently. I have been a Duck fan long enough, 50+ years, that I can remember opening up the local newspaper and seeing OBD being in the Bottom 10 rankings along with Oregon State every week. My State of Oregon pride would cause me to root for any win by Oregon or Oregon State.

I have entered Autzen Stadium to see both endzones covered in purple. It was sickening to see that much purple inside Autzen and their disrespect towards Oregon made it even worse. I was at the Seattle Bowl and witnessed Husky fans confronting the Ngata family prior to the opening kick off. Yes, husky fans paid for tickets just to be able to talk crap to Duck fans. During the great Jody Runge era the Husky coach couldn't beat the Ducks on the court so she falsely accused Duck fans of spitting on her throughout the game.

These are some of the reasons I will never hope for Husky success. Some Duck fans are willing to forgive and forget but not me.

GO DUCKS, Go Michigan

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Enemy's enemy = friend.   That's just basic common sense.  Don't overthink it.   OBD needs to and will earn its own championship.   Counting on our enemy to earn points for us is not the way to think.  I root for both teams to lose next Monday.  😂

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/4/2024 at 9:12 AM, JB89 said:

Obviously, you are free to root for any team you like. But, I completely disagree with your theory that Washington success helps Oregon. The east coast people do not equate Washington wins to mean Oregon is good. They do not spend any energy or time thinking about such things. Thus, the only thing that helps Oregon is for Oregon to beat Washington, Ohio State and Michigan.

Our ability to be the best program in the west and nation is not helped by having the Huskies win a national title. Do you not realize that winning a national title makes Washington the best team on the west coast and the nation. This is exactly what OBD is striving to accomplish. I will not root for the Huskies to accomplish our goals just because some duck fans feel better if we loose to the eventual national champions.

My dislike of the Huskies did not occur overnight. The Huskies have earned my dislike of them over the past five decades of their arrogance towards all things Oregon. Maybe you and other duck fans can ignore the arrogance and hatred that the majority of Washington fans have for Oregon but I cannot. I will be cheering for Michigan to destroy that hated team from the north. 

Do you think Auburn fans cheer for an Alabama national title? Will Ohio State be cheering for Michigan? Did South Carolina fans feel like the football world gave them credit when Clemson won their national titles? 

I am a Duck fan that refuses to live vicariously thru the success of the Washington Husky football program.

GO DUCKS and on Monday night Go Michigan!

I don't care how other fans cheer, especially those down south. And, I don't care about how a Husky win might make the Ducks look better for this season.

Eadt Coast bias is real. Perception is reality. If west coast teams win more often then that would help the case for all west coast teams. The reality is that west coast programs have not won enough, hence they (i.e. Oregon) does not get the benefit of the doubt.

Case in point: If the Ducks had won this year's Pac-12 Championship game, they absolutely would NOT have been invited to the CFP. Lack of Pac-12 success would have been a big reason why. 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/4/2024 at 2:26 PM, Darren Perkins said:

I don't care how other fans cheer, especially those down south. And, I don't care about how a Husky win might make the Ducks look better for this season.

Eadt Coast bias is real. Perception is reality. If west coast teams win more often then that would help the case for all west coast teams. The reality is that west coast programs have not won enough, hence they (i.e. Oregon) does not get the benefit of the doubt.

Case in point: If the Ducks had won this year's Pac-12 Championship game, they absolutely would NOT have been invited to the CFP. Lack of Pac-12 success would have been a big reason why. 

I was giving examples of other heated rivalries were they do not relish in the success of their hated rival. I am disappointed so many Oregon fans can find joy in watching the Huskies have so much success.

I agree that east coast bias is real. Washington winning a national championship will not change east coast bias. Washington winning a national championship will have an immediate negative impact on Oregon's ability to recruit against the Huskies.  A Washington National Championship will bring bragging rights for many many years to the Huskies. I am not willing to cheer for Washington Husky success to try and piggy back on their success.

I want Oregon to be the best team on the west coast and in the nation. I am willing to wait for OBD to earn a national championship on their own. In my opinion Washington success does not help Oregon attain their goals.

There is no way of knowing, if Oregon would have made the four team playoff this year with a win in the Pac12 Championship game. It's fine to state an opinion but it is not a fact. Oregon could have absolutely made the playoffs, if they had finally beaten the huskies in the PAC12 Championship game. If OBD had been kept out the playoffs, pro SEC bias not anti west coast bias would have been the reason.

ESPN and pro SEC bias is the reason FSU was kept out of the playoffs and it why Penix did not win the Heisman. ESPN controls the SEC bias and Washington winning on Monday night will not change it.

The move to the B1G greatly reduces the chance of west coast bias keeping the west coast teams out of the expanded playoffs. We are now part of the two chosen conferences.  We do not need a Washington National Championship for Oregon to achieve their goals. Thus, why in the heck would any duck fan want to see their hated rival win a national championship?

GO DUCKS, Go Michigan

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just saw post season rankings that show Oregon at #7... including behind FSU.

The Flames apparently only lost 2 spots, to #25, after that massive blowout, which could have been far worse, had Oregon not pulled several of their star players.

The disrespect is almost palpable.

On 1/4/2024 at 3:29 PM, woundedknees said:

Just saw post season rankings that show Oregon at #7... including behind FSU.

The Flames apparently only lost 2 spots, to #25, after that massive blowout, which could have been far worse, had Oregon not pulled several of their star players.

The disrespect is almost palpable.

Link?

The Pick...The Finger.

Those two events changed the game from a contest to a rivalry.  Washington fans are no more insufferable than we are.  We absolutely have out of control, arrogant fans.  Especially the kids that experienced a 70-14 whipping for the first time ever. 

When we win a Natty, that will make the day the entire country recognizes how arrogant our fans are.

Washington gets no respect for their shared Title.  In fact, the PNW is such an afterthought, I believe a 12-1 UW or Oregon would have been left out of the playoffs.  Mind you, there was plenty of discussion early in the year about how lethal UW was.  Excellence recognizes excellence.  That being said, there was no way Alabama was out of the playoffs.  OBD were on razor thin margins getting in.

For all the criticism of Michigan, they are getting more hype than Washington. East Coast and Southern football bias is massive.  Both playoff appearances for OBD. and Washington had the same narrative after they lost: not physical enough.  Washington still has that tag, despite dismantling a much more physical Texas team( and the score was no indication of how much UW dominated the game).

USC and UW are the reason OBD are in the national conversation.  You can thank both programs.  We see tons of hate for those schools.  Let's face it, we hate programs more successful than ours.  They are the most motivating factor for our success.  That will not change as we enter a conference than spans both coasts.  

Last I checked, not one recruit has left OBD since UW defeated us twice. Not one.  24' or 25'.  By the way, I believe UW recruits like Utah does.  They look for inner and intangible qualities as much as raw ability. I don't see them raising to top ten level status - it's not their priority.

Now all that logic will be dispensed because our emotions rule the roost. We hate teams as good as, as arrogant as, and with as good as a reputation as we have.  We just don't like competition. Granted, UW fans have p*sssd all over Autzen for decades.  We do the same to our little brother up north. Because we can.  

That's the rub of it all.  We want the whole cake, the whole pie, the whole world to ourselves.  Nobody deserves to be in the conversation when it comes to OBD.  That's how I see the world.  Because it's the same in Tuscaloosa, Columbus, Ann Arbor, Los Angeles, Seattle, Athens, Gainesville and Tallahassee. Nobody deserves to be better than "my college team". 

And that's why I love college football.  Excellence fosters excellence.  Competition brings out the best in us.  

My Dad used to go to Portland to bet on the dog races.  I used to laugh at those greyhounds chasing that electric rabbit shooting down the left side of the track.  That's how I see UW and the rest of the Blue Bloods- we're trying to catch and surpass those damn rabbits.  I don't want complacency in our program.  That's what happens when you don't have hated rivals.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

This is one of the few times that I wish there was a thumbs down on FishDuck. 

Huck the Fuskies!  👏 👏   👏👏👏