Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cockroach

Brown is the QB for Alamo Bowl

Recommended Posts

According to interim coach the QB for ducks hasn’t changed. Are the other 

QB’s that bad? Are the ducks wanting them to transfer? I can think of no sane

reason to play Brown.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He did just publicly give all his teammates Bose Headphones. Maybe the coaches got some too... 🤔

  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The operative phrase revolves around, at this time. Maybe AB has a specific skill set and needs to play within his abilities and therefore the scheme needs to reflect that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooners by 30.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, let's throw away a development opportunity for our young quarterbacks in a game that means practically nothing and just let them rot on the bench. Smart.

Edited by toketeeman
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, I'm guessing the decision might have DL's input. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Ducks new motto for QBs-- The bench is warmer here. Watch and learn from mediocrity.

  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't help but wonder if McClendon is coaching to leave?  Alamo Bowl feels so anticlimatic and this news feels like a let down.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 7:44 AM, toketeeman said:

Yes, let's throw away a development opportunity for our young quarterbacks in a game that means practically nothing and just let them rot on the bench. Smart.

Let's at least hope that Cristobal's absence will result in an offense that's juiced up a bit from what we've endured most of the season. I do think that the Ducks are missing an opportunity to give our young QBs some valuable game experience. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a confusing and disappointing end to a once sky's the limit season. 

 

I would ask the coach, how much fun are the players having sitting on the bench?

 

Don't understand this..........

 

I wonder if the young QB's can't wrap their heads around the JM offensive scheme?

 

Or maybe they can't execute the plays?

 

Wasting another opportunity for growth in another wasted game. Just realized my basement expectations are Rose Bowl or New Years Six Bowl......

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have a great feeling for what Lanning will bring to Oregon. He's already bringing in coach's, some of the best recruiters that will elevate Oregon's future classes better than Mario. We are also getting Tosh Lupoi who is a great defensive line recruiter and he can really recruit any position with the best of them. Lanning to me seems way smarter then Miami's new coach. If anyone after watching what he brought to the table as a HC think he's gonna bring Miami back to the top are misguided

 

Because I'll give him 4 years there before he's fired and I'll be happy to see that happen because the guys words were getting old and they didn't bring confidence. Lanning's words feel like something big is coming finally to Eugene. I just don't see Oregon winning the Alamo but that's just my opinion and honestly I don't want to watch the game period. They are still telling us that not one of those 4 star QBs can come in and run this offense. That to me with all the money these coach's are getting is a piss poor excuse for telling us AB will start.

 

I would never wish injury on a player but I hope AB gets turf toe or something or cramps that are so bad he can't run period because he clearly has been way to inconsistent. As far as the transfer rule goes they were telling us this guy out of all the QB transfers they didn't already know what they were getting. Heck Utah's QB Riseling was a transfer right so why didn't we bring him on instead. I would have thought that stupid pass he threw when out of bounds that resulted in a interception was the last we'd see of him. NO stupidity over ruled that one. Mario is a stupid HC. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If DL has no film on his young QBs, how can he not grab an experienced QB in the portal?

Link to post
Share on other sites

How involved is Lanning in this game? He's still coaching his GA defense. Just a hunch but I'm betting that as of now AB gives the ducks the

 

best chance to be in the game. It would seem that if it gets out of hand and Oregons down by several TD's that Ty would see some game

 

time. Or if AB comes out looking like he did against UT and he gets benched the coaches would insert Ty or one of the other QB's. Looks like

 

the staff is just staying the course for now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to risk injury to one of the QB's heading into next season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really understand the QB feelings everyone has, but I sincerely hope AB goes and has an all-time career night against Chokelahoma and leaves riding off into the rest of his life as a Duck transfer QB who:

 

-was invaluable in securing last years Pac12 Championship We won thanks to him

-this year Beat UW WSU OSEWE tOsU and maybe OU too??? 

 

all while not being that exceptionally gifted, yet still was able to do enough to put up 250+/gm total offense.    Good for him and go ducks BEAT OU!

 

  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 10:04 AM, Cockroach said:

According to interim coach the QB for ducks hasn’t changed. Are the other 

QB’s that bad? Are the ducks wanting them to transfer? I can think of no sane

reason to play Brown.

 

If this is the case did the Ducks even try to go after Dillon Gabriel, now at UCLA, Penix, now at UW or Rattler? This guarantees that unless the Ducks bring in a QB from the portal the Ducks QB 'at' Georgia will be making his 1st start in CFB.

 

I do not get THIS! Does anyone give a whip about longer range planning?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 8:40 AM, Bearlybalanced said:

Really understand the QB feelings everyone has, but I sincerely hope AB goes and has an all-time career night against Chokelahoma and leaves riding off into the rest of his life as a Duck transfer QB who:

 

-was invaluable in securing last years Pac12 Championship We won thanks to him

-this year Beat UW WSU OSEWE tOsU and maybe OU too??? 

 

all while not being that exceptionally gifted, yet still was able to do enough to put up 250+/gm total offense.    Good for him and go ducks BEAT OU!

 

I would add the best case scenario is he has such a good game he can hand it off in the 3rd quarter to one of the young guns.

 

AB deserves to start, and the offense has been built around his skills. He has also been a warrior within this system, we should be grateful.

 

I get, am in that camp, we want our offensive output again. The problem is this is what has been built and we need to let it play out. 

 

We can wish for what we will see next year. We need to show the patience Ty and others have shown, it will come!

  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 8:40 AM, Bearlybalanced said:

was invaluable in securing last years Pac12 Championship We won thanks to him

-this year Beat UW WSU OSEWE tOsU and maybe OU too??? 


This is a great reflection of what we have to be thankful for.  Same with Mario.  Despite clear deficiencies so am glad Lanning is here…Mario did go undefeated against UW and the LA schools, got our best road win ever (tOSU), 2 Pac12 titles, and a Rose Bowl win.  Those are to be appreciated (though I am glad he is gone).

  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 11:40 AM, Bearlybalanced said:

Really understand the QB feelings everyone has, but I sincerely hope AB goes and has an all-time career night against Chokelahoma and leaves riding off into the rest of his life as a Duck transfer QB who:

 

-was invaluable in securing last years Pac12 Championship We won thanks to him

-this year Beat UW WSU OSEWE tOsU and maybe OU too??? 

 

all while not being that exceptionally gifted, yet still was able to do enough to put up 250+/gm total offense.    Good for him and go ducks BEAT OU!

 

 

He had his career day when he started against and defeated Ohio State; the only game he has started vs a top 25 team and won. And in the OH ST game he completed fewer than 50% of his throws.

 

For goodness sakes. Does anyone on the Oregon coaching staff give a whip about 2022? This is not a playoff semi or even an exhibition Rose Bowl,  this is a game for runners up.

 

I guess no one wants to see Thompson or another youngster start a game before stepping on the field in Mercedes Benz Stadium vs Georgia?

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean don't think there is a perfect answer to this.

 

Let's look at the Pro's of starting a freshman...

1. Gets him practice before next season

 

Now the con's

1. Risk Multiple QB's transferring out.

2. The new coaching staff isn't their to make the decision.

3. could alienate players

 

Here is my solution to the game. Let Brown get his final start(first drive) and final finish(final drive) of his time at oregon. Look I don't blame brown at all during his time at oregon, He helped us win in columbus. He lived out his dream to be a starting FBS QB. I do blame the coaching staff(namely cristobal) for never benching him. The alamo bowl is a meh bowl, so I don't really care. Let him get his final minutes of play time and maybe he can up his canadian football stock.

 

Also by not declaring a freshman a starter you aren't forcing a hard decision on the next head coach. Just coin flip the drives for the freshman and let them all play. This gives live game time film that will actually help Lanning as he moves forward into spring.

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 8:55 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I guess no one wants to see Thompson or another youngster start a game before stepping on the field in Mercedes Benz Stadium vs Georgia?

 

It is ironic that Coach McClendon wants to make the Alamo Bowl a great "experience" for the players, but apparently is passing on the opportunity for Thompson and the other young QB's to get some in the game?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the argument for switching QBs.

 

However, selfishly, I want to see AB at QB so we can witness the offense pre- and post-Mario Cristobal with as many of the same variables as possible. We have been debating for years who was to blame for the offense's lackluster performance: OC's or MC's throttling? I'm obsessed with getting a definitive answer to this, so much so, that I'm ok with Ty Thompson waiting one more game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 12:09 PM, 30Duck said:

 

It is ironic that Coach McClendon wants to make the Alamo Bowl a great "experience" for the players, but apparently is passing on the opportunity for Thompson and the other young QB's to get some in the game?

 

 

 

30, I'd go with another I word: Idiotic.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2021 at 12:08 PM, UtahDuck said:

I mean don't think there is a perfect answer to this.

 

Let's look at the Pro's of starting a freshman...

1. Gets him practice before next season

 

Now the con's

1. Risk Multiple QB's transferring out.

2. The new coaching staff isn't their to make the decision.

3. could alienate players

 

Here is my solution to the game. Let Brown get his final start(first drive) and final finish(final drive) of his time at oregon. Look I don't blame brown at all during his time at oregon, He helped us win in columbus. He lived out his dream to be a starting FBS QB. I do blame the coaching staff(namely cristobal) for never benching him. The alamo bowl is a meh bowl, so I don't really care. Let him get his final minutes of play time and maybe he can up his canadian football stock.

 

Also by not declaring a freshman a starter you aren't forcing a hard decision on the next head coach. Just coin flip the drives for the freshman and let them all play. This gives live game time film that will actually help Lanning as he moves forward into spring.

 

Great take. But my 1st solution is that you do not send your 2nd best team into B12 country to play a B12 team. 2nd, hurry up and get the playoff expanded. 3rd, vote with your pocket book and don't attend these after-thought, meaningless exhibition games.

 

I 'll tape it and if the Ducks win which I doubt, I'll watch. Otherwise, Delete. Mario's gone, let's move the hell on!

 

BTW, with Brown starting at QB how long do you think it will take Bob Stoops to figure our his plan on D for this game?

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I proposed this before:

 

Give the three QBs each one quarter to play, then award the 4th quarter to the best performer as decided by the coaches. Oh, sh*t, that's way too practical. Sorry.

Edited by toketeeman
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top