Mic

Worried About the Bruins?

It'll probably be the game of the week when the Bruins slide into Eugene on Saturday the 22nd.  Unbeaten, Chip's team comes in to put Oregon "in its place", or so they hope.  I'll likely be one he_l of a shootout in Autzen.

Interesting fact that some of you may have over-looked.  By some 'quirk' of scheduling UCLA has played 5 of their 6 games so far at home this season.  They have only 1 road win: against the worst team in the conference, Colorado.  Pretty nice gig, if you can get it.

The fans at Autzen need to show up in a ferocious (but respectful) manner that day and "welcome" the Bruins to just their 2nd game away from the friendly confines of home.  It's poetic justice they get that 2nd road trip to Eugene.  It'll be time for them to get a taste of how hard it is to win on the road in this conference.

GO OREGON!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

I suppose you need to take every PAC-12 opponent seriously. They probably surprised most of us by beating Utah. 

UCLA’s schedule has been favorable for them. Looking at their schedule do they actually have 8 home games this season?  That seems crazy. 

After the Oregon game their only road games left are ASU and Cal. 

Edited by Drake

Who's in charge of game time?

I'm being pressured to provide a time for my own funeral, but I can't until I know I can watch this Chip 'n Dan game, first!

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2

If UCLA stays healthy and beats Oregon at Oregon they will be in playoffs IMO. 

They will beat defenseless USC.  

• Yikes! 1

They haven't announced it yet, but ESPN College Gameday is likely to be in Eugene.  The Pac 12 hasn't had a team in yet this year.  They aren't going to have Alabama 2 games in a row.  The Big 12 just had it in Kansas.  The only ACC game with 2 ranked teams is Clemson vs Syracuse, but Clemson already hosted Gameday.  B1G TEN has no good games that week.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes.  Yes I am.  

Whatever sketchiness they showed early seems to be in the past.

They just hammered Utah and have a prolific passing attack which plays right into the weakness of the Ducks’ defense.  

Their 17th year starting QB can run which makes getting pressure a double edged sword.  We need to speed up his clock to protect the secondary but can’t risk losing containment by being too aggressive.  

And because they can pass they won’t be uncomfortable playing in a high scoring game (unlike Utah which relies on them being able to feature the run to grind opposition and win games)

We will see how they perform in a hostile environment against a good team but the Bruins look legit.  

So, yes, quite concerned 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

If I wasn't nervous, it wouldn't be fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

I worry about Chip. Despite his "faceless opponent" talk, I think he's going to be really up for this game. Watch out Tosh, evil lurks in the mind of Chip.

Edited by jrw
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just announced.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The game time has officially been released for No. 12 Oregon's big-time showdown against the No. 11 UCLA Bruins.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

On 10/10/2022 at 10:10 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

If I wasn't nervous, it wouldn't be fun.

This is going to be very fun then!  UCLA has had a very favorable schedule, but against Utah they showed what Bill Parcell said, 'You're as good as your record says you are'. I didn't see a weakness in their game against the Utes to exploit. 

Edited by 30Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

We have proved we can win a tough game at home. We have also proved repeatedly we can win on the road, and to a decent team. 

UCLA hasn't proved they can win a tough game on the road, yet. The program hasn't even been in a bowl game under CK. Their biggest away win last year was against the 4-8 dawgs and that was by 7 points. 

I will take the team that knows how to win at home against a team with an inflated sense of itself after mainly winning in the bubble of Westwood.

I have a feeling the home crowd may not be needed, but will play a big role. We learned from going to Georgia and the bruins will learn from their loss at Autzen.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Going to be a good game. We held Arizona, which had a highly rated passing game, to well below their average. I've also felt that Utah wasn't as strong as they were made to be (lot like USC) and the UCLA game proved that. I'm glad our matchup is at Autzen. I do think UCLA is better than WSU.

• Thumbs Up 1

If we can make Autzen feel like AUTZEN the Bruins will collapse. But, if Chip gets his team to silent the crowd it will be a long night for our Ducks.

We need to do our part and make sure that does not happen. Get to the stadium early, get primed, and be LOUD!

Lets remind Chip of what he walked away from.

• Thumbs Up 3

UCLA has a solid physical RB, a good passing game with an experienced QB. They are a formidable opponent. 

Add in an improved and successful run defense and UCLA has good reason to concern Duck fans. 

This like every game is just another test of the coaches and players. I trust the process. The Ducks are getting better.

So far the Ducks are best at running the ball and stopping the run. That usually matters a lot. 

I think this game once again comes down to the Ducks needing above average man coverage and a meaningful pass rush. Both offenses will score points. 

Offensively the secondary, like Oregon, is the perceived weakest area for UCLA and Bo needs to be smart and accurate and take advantage of that.

Running the ball well opens the passing game up and with Bo’s running ability in the forefront of Dilly's mind there are innumerable ways to exploit any weakness. The Ducks are explosive and versatile as a result. 

I think this week is football 101.  Run the ball, stop the run, pressure the QB. Good on Good

This team is the same players but a very different team from week one. UCLA will be another great measuring stick. Let’s just hope the Ducks aren’t beat with that stick. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks should and will win this game as long as the Ducks offense doesnt stop scoring drives with mistakes and penalties. The Oregon O should score 7 or 8 TD's. The Bruins haven't played any team with an O line like the Ducks. Or against a truly high powered offense being executed at a high level by a top QB.

The Ducks D will have its handful with the Bruins offense and DTR. If they hold the edges and pressure DTR then the Bruins will make mistakes. This game may hinge on just a turnover or a few 3 and outs.

Gonna a be a long 2 weeks but we should feel good about the improvements the Ducks have made since Georgia. No reason to worry! Reason to be excited. Want to be in the PAC title game? Beat UCLA..

Game day would be nice but why would ESPN promote a big game that Fox will be televising nationally? Hope I am wrong, the PAC needs the exposure and the Ducks need Herbie and the crew to picl against us.

GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1

Not worried at all. Going to be a great game. Oregon will win this by 2 scores. After first Q UCLA will be playing from behind all game.

• Applause 1

On 10/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, CalBear95 said:

They just hammered Utah and have a prolific passing attack which plays right into the weakness of the Ducks’ defense.  

Easily the most favorable schedule in the conference, maybe of the entire Power 5.  But a lot of pundits expected Jayden DeLaura to have a big day with is 4 athletic WR's including the 6'5" Wilson against the Duck's secondary.  They didn't.  The Duck's 'weakest' point wasn't so weak after all.

Oh, Chip will have them ready, all right and with 2 weeks to prepare, he'll have wrinkles Dillingham can only dream of (maybe).  But so will Oregon.  It'll be a chess game on the sidelines and a WAR on the field.  But they're in the Duck's house, not the Coliseum this time.  Keep faith. 😉

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1

Worried about the Bruins?  I think Colorado is the only game I'm not worried about.  The rest, cautiously optimistic. 

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2022 at 11:24 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

I think this week is football 101.

Not to me.

Dilly needs to surprise the Bruins with a new play, with constraints off of it like he did against Stanford IMHO.  That can flip the game in our favor...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/10/2022 at 1:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Dilly needs to surprise the Bruins with a new play, with constraints off of it like he did against Stanford IMHO.  That can flip the game in our favor...

And you just know that Chip (as we write) is scheming & plotting a whole new devious plan to take Tosh Lupoi by surprise as well.  "Saddle the Lagonda, Lugg."  

Let the chess game begin.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a Ute fan.......I'd be a bit worried about them if I were a duck fan. They not only beat us, they were a LOT more physical than we were. That hasn't happened to a Ute team in a long time.

I'll bet it's a great game that comes down to the final minutes. Looking forward to it and I'll be nervous and excited even though I have no dog in the fight.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just one of my favorite Duck moments vs UCLA!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 2:11 PM, FreddyD said:

I'm a Ute fan.......I'd be a bit worried about them if I were a duck fan. They not only beat us, they were a LOT more physical than we were. That hasn't happened to a Ute team in a long time.

I'll bet it's a great game that comes down to the final minutes. Looking forward to it and I'll be nervous and excited even though I have no dog in the fight.

So tell us Freddy, who ya pulling for?  We're all marvelous guys and gals here, we won't bite!  We may Quaaaaak! But we don't bite.

A huge X factor - as many have highlighted - is how the Bruins do on the road not to mention the (un)friendly and non-rainy confines of Autzen. 

Their RB and QB will be fine as they are experienced in big games on the road.  The rest?  Dunno.  UCLA hasn’t experienced adversity (nor a loud crowd anywhere when you consider what a mausoleum the Rose Bowl is for their home games).   

At this point I doubt the Ducks have any big game issues given their beat down, recovery, and exorcism of road game demons.  They don’t have the recent SOS wins as does UCLA but they are definitely battle tested.  Until the Bruins win a meaningful road game, they cannot say the same.  

I think UCLA answers the bell for a nail biting game but I hope the Ducks can put them to the test early and get a mineral check.  

On 10/10/2022 at 11:24 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

UCLA has a solid physical RB, a good passing game with an experienced QB. They are a formidable opponent. 

Add in an improved and successful run defense and UCLA has good reason to concern Duck fans. 

This like every game is just another test of the coaches and players. I trust the process. The Ducks are getting better.

So far the Ducks are best at running the ball and stopping the run. That usually matters a lot. 

I think this game once again comes down to the Ducks needing above average man coverage and a meaningful pass rush. Both offenses will score points. 

Offensively the secondary, like Oregon, is the perceived weakest area for UCLA and Bo needs to be smart and accurate and take advantage of that.

Running the ball well opens the passing game up and with Bo’s running ability in the forefront of Dilly's mind there are innumerable ways to exploit any weakness. The Ducks are explosive and versatile as a result. 

I think this week is football 101.  Run the ball, stop the run, pressure the QB. Good on Good

This team is the same players but a very different team from week one. UCLA will be another great measuring stick. Let’s just hope the Ducks aren’t beat with that stick. 

UCLA’s running back will go in first or second round of NFL draft.  I think he’s the best back in college football.  

• Go Ducks! 1

Their two 'tough' tests have both been at home, unlike Oregon who's had all their toughest tests out there on the road.  When UCLA beats us or a team like us on the road, then I'll give them a nod.  They certainly have the right coach to get them there but so do we.

• Applause 1

On 10/10/2022 at 12:41 PM, Log Haulin said:

After first Q UCLA will be playing from behind all game.

So far this season, once the Ducks have taken a lead, they've kept it. This is what happens when you aren't employing prevent offense. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/10/2022 at 2:30 PM, Mic said:

Their two 'tough' tests have both been at home, unlike Oregon who's had all their toughest tests out there on the road.  When UCLA beats us or a team like us on the road, then I'll give them a nod.  They certainly have the right coach to get them there but so do we.

They made UTAH look like a  B team.  The game was over mid way through third quarter. Any team that can do that better be taken seriously. 

Edited by debbieduck
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 10/10/2022 at 1:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

a new play

Or 2, or 3, or 4, rise and repeat.

Another big matchup ahead with Jake Bobo & Christian Gonzalez to look forward to.  Both Bobo and Az's Mike Wilson are supposed to be the 2 best in the conference.  Both are 6'5" to Gonzalez's 6'3".  

We need a pass rush.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, 3 weeks ago I wasn’t too worried about UCLA.  But now they’ve beaten Washington and Utah by out scoring them.  Their offense is for real, and to say Charbonnet is a good back is a massive understatement. That being said, I think if the Ducks offense plays to potential and the defense tackles well the Ducks win.  I’m very glad the game is in Eugene though. 

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 10/10/2022 at 8:49 AM, Mic said:

Interesting fact that some of you may have over-looked.  By some 'quirk' of scheduling UCLA has played 5 of their 6 games so far at home this season.  They have only 1 road win: against the worst team in the conference, Colorado.  Pretty nice gig, if you can get it.

As we saw with Washington... some teams just don't travel well. UCLA traveled to Colorado which is rather tame as they are having a bad season. Autzen will be a hostile game environment and Oregon is a far better team than Colorado and Washington... and I suspect Utah. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2022 at 11:49 AM, Mic said:

The fans at Autzen need to show up in a ferocious (but respectful) manner that day and "welcome" the Bruins to just their 2nd game away from the friendly confines of home.  It's poetic justice they get that 2nd road trip to Eugene.  It'll be time for them to get a taste of how hard it is to win on the road in this conference.

This game already a sell-out, standing room only tickets available.  Autzen will be rocking!

Utah's defense lost some great players from last year's team.  They are without their talented TE playmaker.  I think this made a difference in the UCLA game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not worried about the game. I guess somewhat concerned would be my feelings. Can't take em lightly because they do have talent and Chips good enough to make things difficult for the D. But they just haven't played anyone good except UT and that was a home game. 

UCLA's SOS is way down on the charts. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being scared to death I'm giving it a 7.

• Cool 1

On 10/10/2022 at 3:42 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

UCLA's SOS is way down on the charts. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being scared to death I'm giving it a 7.

It'll be a very tough game but one that I think Oregon can win if they continue to improve like they have every week so far this season.  Each week this team has looked closer and closer to getting entirely in-sync both Offensively and Defensively.  If Oregon can avoid any surprises from Chip's offense and if Gonzalez can hold Bobo in check like he did Wilson of ASU for most of the game I like O's chances in this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Utah is unproven they haven't beaten anyone. Lost to unranked florida.  Fusky was grossly overrated proven by loss to ASU. 

UCLA has only played 1 away game. Their two best wins are Fusky and Utah, lol. UCLA has not been tested this year.

Oregon got clobbered by the defending champs. Beat ranked and still ranked BYU. Got tested in Pullman by a good WSU team and came from behind to win. Oregon shut down one of the best passing attacks in the country last weekend.

Oregon has been battle tested. Everyone here has watched Ducks play. They pass the eye test imo. Ducks offense looks different than any other team in the pack.

Half the Ducks opponents points and stats come from the game being well in hand. Last week Az had 356 total yards. Half of those yards came with Oregon up 35-13. Something like 80 of those yard and 6 points came late in the 4th during garbage time.

Oregon is a very very good football team. Something UCLA hasn't seen. It's being played in Autzen. 

I welcome #11. They will sharpen the Mighty Ducks of Oregon as we continue the quest of being the best football team we can be. 

The only thing I worry about is injury. UCLA IMO, is not on the level Oregon is. Nobody in the Pac is. Oregon is becoming a complete team. UCLA will help us get there.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/10/2022 at 4:19 PM, Log Haulin said:

Oregon has been battle tested. Everyone here has watched Ducks play. They pass the eye test imo. Ducks offense looks different than any other team in the pack.

Amen Duck-Brother!  Felt great to read that, and it is true.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/10/2022 at 2:16 PM, Mic said:

So tell us Freddy, who ya pulling for?  We're all marvelous guys and gals here, we won't bite!  We may Quaaaaak! But we don't bite.

I'll be pulling for UCLA. If you guys beat them, it will mean that you will probably crush us when we play. If you guys lose to UCLA we still have a chance against you. I got about 3 hours sleep last night so I hope that made sense.

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2022 at 7:11 AM, FreddyD said:

I'll be pulling for UCLA. If you guys beat them, it will mean that you will probably crush us when we play. If you guys lose to UCLA we still have a chance against you. I got about 3 hours sleep last night so I hope that made sense.

If we beat UCLA it doesn't necessarily follow that we beat Utah.  Nor vice versa.  Each team matches up differently against others.  I should think last year's performance against the Ducks would give you more confidence than that.  

At the beginning of the season I would probably have been willing to bet someone a thousand bucks that we could beat you. After watching UCLA not only beat us but physically punish us I have some serious doubts....especially about our defense. Strange to see them get pushed around like that. And in the close up shots of their faces and body language you could see they were intimidated as the game wore on. Not used to that.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:59 AM, Mic said:

I should think last year's performance against the Ducks would give you more confidence than that.  

I think there should be an asterisk (*) next to both those game results.  Cristobal had given up on the team at that point and was concentrating on getting to Miami, so there was minimal game prep and I'm sure players were hearing the rumors and  getting distracted, maybe causing low morale.  That, combined with his inept offensive scheme gave the Ducks no chance. 

On 10/10/2022 at 8:49 AM, Mic said:

It'll probably be the game of the week when the Bruins slide into Eugene on Saturday the 22nd.  Unbeaten, Chip's team comes in to put Oregon "in its place", or so they hope.  I'll likely be one he_l of a shootout in Autzen.

GO OREGON!

I think Oregon is 48-2 against ranked opponents at Autzen since the win against BYU. I take some comfort in that stat over the bye week.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 12:07 PM, Roguedog said:

I think Oregon is 48-2 against ranked opponents at Autzen since the win against BYU. I take some comfort in that stat over the bye week.

Yes ... but Dan Lanning is 0-0 at this point.  And I'd be interested to learn what Chip Kelly's record is vs. ranked opponents after a bye week?  But I'm too lazy to do the research...

GO OREGON!

• Thumbs Up 1