Log Haulin

Would Oregon Fan Base Welcome Nix in 23?

Would Oregon fans support Nix as the Starter if he chooses to play another year? Might be to early for this question but I was thinking about this possibility today at work.

I have been all about the Bo Show since he announced his transfer to Oregon. It feels like I am one of very few. I would love to see Nix play 2 seasons at oregon.

If Nix sticks around, Oregon would lose Butters or Ty to the TP for sure. I am fine with that, especially with DM coming in. 

Bo knows he won't have the protection he has this year from the Bulls up front. He will have a ton of skill talent with another year under them.

I also assume the defense next year will be better by far with a year under Lanning's scheme. 

Would love to hear what others here think.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes.  I am with you 100%.   I hope he stays.     

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Go Ducks! 2

I'm all for it. But, it will take more NIL than I'm willing to offer!

• Go Ducks! 1

Absolutely, I want Bo to stay. If he leaves, TT or Butterfield get the start by default.

• Go Ducks! 1

The man is a leader, and he's experienced at reading defenses and managing offenses. He quickly rebounds from adversity,  has some great skills, and has shown that even somewhat old dogs can learn new tricks. I didn't expect most of this at the beginning of the season, but if he continues to play this way and help teach the younger quarterbacks on the roster how to do likewise, I think I'd be crazy not to want him to play next year.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I commented earlier that it would be nice to have both the the veteran, Nix and incoming frosh, Moore in the same season.  It would be a luxury that the Ducks have not had in a long time.  Our backup QBs have been somewhat of an Achilles heel. 

I know it sounds wrong to project Moore as the future, without seeing him play a college down.  But when was the last time the Ducks pulled, potentially the #1 rated QB from that recruiting class?  Never!  We did however get commitments from two future Heisman winners, Mariota and Manziel, but both were 3-star recruits out of HS.  Now, we could have two of the top QBs from their classes, the other being Nix.

Out of HS, Bo Nix was the #1 Dual threat QB, a true 5-star recruit.  The only other QB that was rated higher than him in the class, was Spencer Rattler who was more of a Pro Style QB.  Over the years, Nix's rating has taken a hit, playing for Auburn.  He went from 5-star to a 3-star.  This is the year that Nix proves those pundits wrong and turns some heads.

Depending on how this season plays out and if Nix can get his draft stock up, he may have no plans to return next season, despite having another year of eligibility left. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Sure, but it depends on his draft stock. The good thing about NIL is a guy can make more as a College player than a late round draft pick or practice squad guy. It might actually pay more to stay another year and boost your draft stock. Especially since NFL contracts aren’t guaranteed.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do not believe that Nix has an NFL arm, so if he wanted to come back for one more year to enjoy the whole college experience--I would take a 72% completion rate QB back!

Bo Nix_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/26/2022 at 5:16 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I do not believe that Nix has an NFL arm, so if he wanted to come back for one more year to enjoy the whole college experience--I would take a 72% completion rate QB back!

Bo Nix_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Thats another issue I have been thinking about. Bo's longest balls (in air)  haven't led his receivers. Nix would have a couple more touchdowns on the sheet if he could.

30-40 yards he is good. 50+ and the receiver is waiting around like the DMV. 

• Haha 1

Just posted on the FishDuck Feed, this article speaks directly to this question.

As noted on this site, many of you were skeptical of Bo before he ever arrived,

however many are starting to see the advantages of the new Bo...

Has Oregon Quarterback Bo Nix Turned a New Leaf?
Oregon's offense is almost unrecognizable from recent years and Nix is a big reason why.

• Thanks 1

I've been on the the Bo-Bandwagon since day 1.

Does he remind anyone else of Joey Harrington?

He's smart, and wants to win at any cost.

I'm in for 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would welcome him back with mixed feelings.  Yes he's certainly a good enough QB for any program to have on the roster.  But we could likely say goodby to either Ty Thompson or Jay Butterfield, or even both.  

And would another 5* QB want to come to Oregon if either one of those two did stay awaiting their long-expected turn?  Perhaps, but then that might also serve to drive TT and/or JB away as well, knowing the 'new kid' sitting alongside them on the pine has a shot at starting next should Nix hang around one more year.

I'm just glad I'm not the coach or the one who has to make those decisions.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's the known versus the unknown.  By the end of the year, we'll know exactly what we have in Nix.  Unless TT or Butterfield gets to play, they'll remain total unknowns.

So if Nix implodes, then we'll probably be ready to move on as fans.  If he continues to play like he did against WSU, we'll want him back.

Unfortunately, if he implodes, he's probably back; if he plays great, he may be gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Our coaches have said that whoever gives us the best chance to win is going to play. If Bo doesn't have the arm to make it in the NFL, I can see him staying another year.

We may lose both TT and Butters with Dante Moore coming in, but that is life with the portal these days. Dante is the one recruited by these coaches and I think he is going 

to be given every opportunity. In fact, Bo may be a good mentor for Dante to take over the following year.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 6:15 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

In fact, Bo may be a good mentor for Dante to take over the following year.

It's the old conundrum:  When he (Nix) is good, he's good!  When he's bad ... we'll, we get a pick 6 in the red zone that could have cost O the game.  Good news is that he seems to be doing things like that less frequently showing the coaches that he's continuing to improve.  

Another year?  Maybe he'll reach that point where they start calling him great.  And I agree with you, he may be the perfect mentor for  young men wanting to learn how to play QB for Oregon.  That's a very good point.

• Like 1

Based on what I've seen, yes.

Nix is third on Auburn's all-time passing yards list. THIRD!

Loyalty is all but out the window in sports.

Nix could opt for the NFL AND Thompson and Butterfield could enter the portal.

I heard a rumor that the Sears Christmas catalog is now the NCAA Portal opportunities catalog. 

On 9/26/2022 at 6:29 PM, nw777b said:

I heard a rumor that the Sears Christmas catalog is now the NCAA Portal opportunities catalog. 

So that's what happened to the Sears catalogs!  Clever.

• Haha 1

He’s the only guy on the team who beat Herbert head to head. That’s got to count for something.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:46 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Oregon's offense is almost unrecognizable from recent years and Nix is a big reason why.

The BIG reason why we underperformed is now in Miami. Bo is part of the new, renewed Oregon offense. I have a feeling we will also, again, become a qb factory.

I also think how Robby Ashford does this season will have a large impact on guys leaving and programs wanting our back-ups. Coaches may be leaving and having issues, but Robby looks good!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

If you were talking to me after that massacre by Georgia, I would've said "heck no!" lol. But reflecting after that initial utter disappointment, Bo is actually the best QB on the roster to lead the Ducks until his successor can be developed.

On a related note, I just hope the current coaches put a stop to this rent-a-QB baloney and develop QB's from the ground up like the Ducks used to do.

Personally I would rather see Bo have a great season, then move on. Don't think he is a high end NFL talent, but he could carve out a decent pro career. He's married and will want to provide for his new family.

Something tells me Dante Moore will find his place in the new system at Oregon. Maybe he waits a year or more behind TT, but I think it may be sooner rather than later that he takes the reins.

I admit I was one of the ones who were leery of Bo Nix when he first announced his transfer to Oregon.  But with Dillingham's help he's shown the 5* potential he was always capable of but never fulfilled until now.  If he continues to put up respectable numbers and lead the offense the way he has the last few games, that presents an interesting conundrum if he wants to come back next season.  Like others have mentioned if he does come back next season, then either one or both of the other QBs will transfer out. 

TT and Butters are victims of criminal underdevelopment at the hands of the Cristobal regime and you have to wonder how much they'll improve over the course of this season until Dante Moore comes in.  Dante is probably about as polished of a high school QB as you're going to get and may compete right away for the starting spot if Nix doesn't come back.  

I wouldn't complain if Nix comes back for a 2nd season, that provides some needed continuity at QB that Oregon hasn't had in a while with a player that's one of the best in the Pac12.  It would also provide a natural bridge for Dante where he can learn as a backup for the 1st season then take the reins.  But that does unfortunately come with the caveat that TT and Butters would probably be gone, unluckily for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've softened my stance on Bo Nix.  Initially I didn't want yet another transfer QB in and felt we needed to develop what we already have...you know, just 2 of the most highly rated QB's we've ever signed. Granted, I knew they would take their knocks, but they'd have a great offensive line to do it behind.  

I'm now (at least for the moment) glad to have Bo here. He's playing well and helping make us a contender for yet another conference title.  That being said, I'd really prefer he move on after this season. I know that may very well mean we take some lumps for the next season or two while TT, JB or DM learn the ropes, but I believe that to be better for the long-term growth of the program.  

Ideally I'd like to see TT or JB come out firing next season after having had a year to get refined with Dilly, then let them play 2023 while Moore gets some garbage time clean up experience and a year with Dilly.  You know, simply put I'd like to see us become a traditional QB factory. I mean, we have these high hopes for Moore but truth be told someone being our "highest rated QB recruit in history" doesn't necessarily mean it translates to the field...and I'm not willing to risk the futures of TT/JB to lose them and have all my eggs in one Moore basket...

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Bo will go to the NFL if he's projected to be drafted in the 3-6 round range. Maybe even the 7th. He's spent a long time in college, and I don't think possibly getting more money in NIL than as a late round pick is going to be the deciding factor. But what do I know?

Interesting that the highest paid CFL qb makes about $500k. If a starting college qb doesn't think he is going to make the NFL then they may make more playing in college. The NIL may be an incentive to stay in college and play as long as possible.

By the way, J. Masoli is the third highest paid CFL qb at about $450k. V. Adams makes about $400k as the 7th highest paid qb.

I suppose most college kids don't think about the CFL and the next level stuff, but interesting nonetheless, at least to me.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The old model of "sign and develop" can work if you have a pipeline of talent and coaching consistency.  Like a BYU for example.

The new model of pay through the nose for a 5 Star is expensive (which comes with opportunity costs) and relies on good recruit analysis skills by coaches.

With the portal, you can buy insurance for your QB strategy either way, so it's going to be a solid option until the market dynamics change.

Assuming DL, KD and Co. stick around for a half decade, I am cool with them swinging for the fences on 5 star QB's they like (I trust their player analysis chops) but am happy with 4 stars augmented by transfer vets as needed.

He will get a clear message from the coaching staff.  If they are ready to move on he will be informed - formally or informally.  More than ever, it’s a business.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I certainly would, but it would cost us both Current QB prospects I’m afraid. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:38 PM, Log Haulin said:

Thats another issue I have been thinking about. Bo's longest balls (in air)  haven't led his receivers. Nix would have a couple more touchdowns on the sheet if he could.

Maybe because he holds the ball to long?  Not because his arm is weak? 

On 9/29/2022 at 4:51 PM, debbieduck said:

Maybe because he holds the ball to long?  Not because his arm is weak? 

Maybe both?

On 9/29/2022 at 5:11 PM, Log Haulin said:

Maybe both?

Lol.  Ya maybe both!

My understanding is that Bo is a senior and this is his last year of college eligibility. Is that not correct?

2020 COVID gave everyone playing at that time an extra year if they choose to use it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 5:38 PM, Log Haulin said:

So...I coached with Neil Lomax in a couple of camps. Shared a couple of key items. This is the biggest misnomer in football is big arm, see...Jeff George...Ryan Leaf...Jamarcus Russell, etc., etc. 

Judgement, ability to quickly go through progressions/reads, release angle/time and Accuracy up to 40 yds is far more important than the +50 yd. throws.

Bo can make the opposite hash throw, etc. His arm is totally strong enough, the biggest problem with the deep ball is overthrowing the ball and not allowing receivers to adjust. Bo has trust in his receivers and doing just that. This requires quality receivers, trust, etc. but with our current personnel he can do this.

This is why the 50+yd throw isn't catching guys in stride and why he is making these throws successfully vs. incompletions...example- watch  Ty Thompsons deep, overthrown ball. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes on Bo one more year.  Ty does not yet seem mentally ready.  And Moore would not start day 1.

On 9/30/2022 at 6:13 AM, WickedGreen said:

So...I coached with Neil Lomax in a couple of camps. Shared a couple of key items. This is the biggest misnomer in football is big arm, see...Jeff George...Ryan Leaf...Jamarcus Russell, etc., etc. 

Judgement, ability to quickly go through progressions/reads, release angle/time and Accuracy up to 40 yds is far more important than the +50 yd. throws.

Bo can make the opposite hash throw, etc. His arm is totally strong enough, the biggest problem with the deep ball is overthrowing the ball and not allowing receivers to adjust. Bo has trust in his receivers and doing just that. This requires quality receivers, trust, etc. but with our current personnel he can do this.

This is why the 50+yd throw isn't catching guys in stride and why he is making these throws successfully vs. incompletions...example- watch  Ty Thompsons deep, overthrown ball. 

Makes sense to me. I love Nix game. I think he is a great player. Thanks for pointing this out for me.

His long interview after practice this week was remarkable. He sounded like a pro. Nothing that's thrown at him in games, practices or media appearances seems new. He poised, articulate, self-reflective, humble. Stay another 10 years far as I'm concerned. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2022 at 2:58 PM, Drex Heikes said:

His long interview after practice this week was remarkable. He sounded like a pro. Nothing that's thrown at him in games, practices or media appearances seems new. He poised, articulate, self-reflective, humble. Stay another 10 years far as I'm concerned. 

I'm glad you brought this up Drex (cool name, btw) because what I hear when he speaks is an almost total absence of personal glorification.  There's a sincere vein of humility in this young man when he fields questions about his accomplishments.  And he never forgets to remember who helped him get to where he is and what he's been able to do.

Maybe it's because he's been in the spotlight and interviewed so many times over the years and been thru so many ups and downs that he's acquired a 

real sense of who is and why he's that way.  A coach as a father, a solid family unit in his background, and a personal faith-based foundation under him has had a vey positive effect on the young man.

I'm happy you've noticed his humility too.  It's a very refreshing thing to see in an elite athlete today.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1