Charles Fischer

Oregon vs. Texas Tech: Never-in-Doubt!

The title was obviously tongue-in-cheek.

Game prognosticators like I are similar to economists in their projections: "Rarely correct, but never in doubt!"

Let's start the after game discussion here in this thread. My short comment? "Tyler Shough lost his confidence in clutch situations at Oregon, and has not got over it."  

He is a good QB, but one who teases you and chokes in the end.  The Red Raiders are a good team and I salute them.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Somehow, the Ducks pulled into a row at the exact last moment.

Timing is everything!

• Thumbs Up 2

Kinda interesting how similar it was to our third game last year against Washington State in the Palouse?  We come from behind and clinch it with a pick-six on defense?

Mase Funa's Pick-Six...

HC2  Mase Funa's td.jpg

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am almost too mentally exhausted to comment. Plenty to work on here and many good things happened as well. Bo Nix carried the team on his back and won this game.

Now to a large Bombay Saphire Gin and Tonic.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Offense was terribly inconsistent for large parts of the game and put the defense in some bad situations. But I'm glad it finally started meshing in the 4th quarter.

Defense wasn't perfect, not by a long shot. But there was some good penetration into the pocket for some sacks and a couple interceptions.

Special teams needs work, specifically getting Amy decent yards on kickoff/punt returns.

This game had the same vibes as last season's nailbiter against WSU.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Would like to see first half stats vs second half stats.

Shough started hot at Wyoming.  He started hot in this game.   Completions, I mean.

Is that just a perception, or backed up by statistics?

If so, why does that happen to him?

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/9/2023 at 8:19 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Now to a large Bombay Saphire Gin and Tonic.

Wait...you waited until now???  That's the only way I got through the game!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 3
  • Applause 1

Undisciplined.  Sloppy.  

This team has a lot of work to do in all phases of the game before they face the top teams in the Pac-12.   Colorado will not be a cakewalk on 9/23 and we'll need to be in top form to have a chance in Seattle on 10/14.

As someone else mentioned, Bo carried Oregon to a victory.  He is a baller and in the biggest moments, he seems to play the best.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

This is a game that needed to be played.  Lots to fix with Hawaii next up. 

But this game did something else. Show grit, no quit. That was a hard faught game. Loved it.

We all saw the ugly and won on the road. D came up with huge plays. O did what it needed to do.

Glad this game happened. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/9/2023 at 8:19 PM, HDuck said:

If so, why does that happen to him

I wonder if all the running and hits fatigued him too much.  He did not look as sharp and crisp as the end as he did at the beginning.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Talent doesn't make a team, adversity helps make a team. These guys are still learning how to put talent together into what it can become.

I am still excited to see what the coaches can create with the talent level they have to work with. Today we saw some character, and maybe Dorlus can lead the defense to a higher standard.

Not sure what to do about the O-line, film room and soul searching?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

Hawaii will be my first game I get to go to this year!!  Excited to see the Ducks roll in Autzen!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2023 at 8:26 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I wonder if all the running and hits fatigued him too much.  He did not look as sharp and crisp as the end as he did at the beginning.  

Shough took some big hits. Ran over 20 times. Dudes gonna feel this game 

• Go Ducks! 2

On 9/9/2023 at 8:19 PM, HDuck said:

Would like to see first half stats vs second half stats.

Shough started hot at Wyoming.  He started hot in this game.   Completions, I mean.

Is that just a perception, or backed up by statistics?

If so, why does that happen to him?

You tell us?

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Fun stat of the day... With Bama losing their non-con home game today, ending their streak at 48, Oregon is the new leader, at 31 and counting.

Edited by woundedknees
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Feeling happy for our Ducks who were able to pull the game out in the end. Bo had good moments, but also made some critical mistakes that I haven’t seen in awhile. One was the toss to the end zone that, for the life of me, I can’t figure out what the replay crew  saw that negated the interception.

Players need to realize exactly what is going on in the game. When you intercept the ball with the lead and 30 seconds, take a knee. It’s hard to pass up a pick 6, but it’s the wise decision. The heart wrenching last possession by TT didn’t have to happen.

The roughing the passer as Shough slid towards the end of the game should not happen, especially given how the officiating was going.

A truly bright spot for me was the play of Cam Lewis. He was clutch in this game and greatly contributed to the Ducks’ hard fought victory.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They way we looked we'll lose at least 4 games, not saying we will, but if we don't make huge improvements in our discipline, our line play, and our ability to contain the QB it will be a long season.

I do think we got Tech's best shot, I don't think they will play much better, Shough played about like we though he would, he can run it, he can fling it, but he can also be bad with his ball protection. 

Nix wasn't at his best, but he showed his leadership again, so I was glad to see him succeed on the road in a tough environment.

Wasn't impressed with Stein's play calling, quite a few rushing plays that didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Did think we had some nice pressure packages, did a better job disguising our rushes at crucial times, our coverage was up and down, had a quite a few times it looked like Shough didn't have much to go to, but we also gave up some big plays, so a mixed bag.  

In the end it's a survive and advance game, 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 8:46 PM, latracey said:

Players need to realize exactly what is going on in the game. When you intercept the ball with the lead and 30 seconds, take a knee. It’s

There isn't a player alive that turns down that pick 6. Love the points and the W

• Salute 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 9/9/2023 at 8:52 PM, Log Haulin said:

There isn't a player alive that turns down that pick 6. Love the points and the W

Since my score prediction was Oregon 38-31, thankfully, he returned it for the TD 😉

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/9/2023 at 8:52 PM, Log Haulin said:

Good teams win, great teams cover. He knew the spread! 

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

Yay Cam Lewis!!!!

• Like 1

Mad respect for that environment in Lubbock. That is a great place to play. Rabid fan base.

Think I heard TT had a 23 game winning streak in home openers. Now they have 0.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 5:52 PM, Log Haulin said:

Agree there is only one guy who is questioning what he did, and that isn't Bassa, or Dorlus. I hope that guy has a great end to his career from here on out!

On 9/9/2023 at 8:28 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Hawaii will be my first game I get to go to this year!!  Excited to see the Ducks roll in Autzen!!

LOL.  It'll be the first game Oregon has played in Autzen this year, too!  

Enjoy the game.

Edited by OregonDucks

Not every game is 48-13 at Tennessee…

2016:  32-35 at Nebraska

2015:  28-31 at Michigan St

2008:  32-26 at Purdue in OT

Difficulty of winning on the road is often underestimated.

When you visit a conference opponent, you probably played or coached in that stadium before.

A relatively new staff (like Oregon), with players unfamiliar with the stadium, makes any non-conference road trip win worthy, whether you think there was some ugly moments like penalties and broken assignments.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Take the 6, but check the pursuit, and slow down, maybe a little.

Seconds count, sometimes!...

As to the road win aspect, there are a lot of factors that can be distracting... Even something as random as dressing down in a trailer located in the back parking lot.

Edited by woundedknees

Glass half full...

Nobody was saying"They are who we thought they were, and we let em off the hook!!!!"

I can still say Playoffs without saying " Playoffs, don't talk about Playoffs.  I just hope we win a damn game".

These guys can be real good...if they want to be.  We'll just have to wait and see.  

• Go Ducks! 1

23 year TTech home opener win streak over.  Oregon just ended it.  Celebrate that.  Hard to do.  Places like this make good teams create mistakes.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Couple stats from the game:

The score was 18-27 Ducks trailing at end of third.  Final score 38-30.  Ducks won the fourth quarter in "hot Texas" 20-3.

First downs:  Oregon 21, Tex Tech 29.  That's a difference of 8.  6 of those 8, were due to Oregon penalty.

First time since 1990 TT starts season 0-2

On 9/9/2023 at 11:46 PM, latracey said:

One was the toss to the end zone that, for the life of me, I can’t figure out what the replay crew  saw that negated the interception.

The call was an incomplete pass and he didn't have good possession of it. When he hit the ground, the ball seemed to come loose from his hands in one slow motion clip. Also, didn't it look like his second foot could've been out of bounds?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/9/2023 at 8:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Kinda interesting how similar it was to our third game last year against Washington State in the Palouse?  We come from behind and clinch it with a pick-six on defense?

Mase Funa's Pick-Six...

HC2  Mase Funa's td.jpg

The end of this one felt EXACTLY like the WSU game from last year. 

It arguably might have been better if Bassa took a knee in bounds at the 2 yard line to burn clock and kill the game that way.... 

But being up by 8 is pretty comfy all things considered. TT had to drive the entire field and score a touchdown and then convert for 2 points to tie the game.

I will say this game felt like Jekkyl and Hyde on both sides of the ball at times. There were times that the defense just looked absolutely dominant and same goes for the offense... then there were times when they just looked inept. 

I feel the last offensive play with the toss to James was a mistake... either power it up the gut or have Nix do a keeper and either run it in himself or find a quick pass. That play felt too easy for TT to stop. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:26 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

The call was an incomplete pass and he didn't have good possession of it. When he hit the ground, the ball seemed to come loose from his hands in one slow motion clip. Also, didn't it look like his second foot could've been out of bounds?

Yep... 

The first foot that was on the ground didn't count because he didn't have control of the ball... his second foot was definitely out of bounds. 

It was a close call and honestly probably could have gone either way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My one thought I had, and maybe it was a stupid thought, was why didn't we go for 2 on that pick six to try to make it a 9 point game? If we failed, we still would have been up by 7; if we succeeded, it's a 2 possession game. Anyone have thoughts as to why we didn't try that?

Wouldn't it have been better if we had gone for 2-pt conversion after the pick

-6 and ice the game?  Even if we failed, it would still be a 7-pt lead?

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 10:02 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

My one thought I had, and maybe it was a stupid thought, was why didn't we go for 2 on that pick six to try to make it a 9 point game? If we failed, we still would have been up by 7; if we succeeded, it's a 2 possession game. Anyone have thoughts as to why we didn't try that

Play the percentages.  Too much can go wrong on a two point conversion and if you miss it, TT scores a touchdown and ties it with an extra point.

Take the easy PAT and make TT go for two IF they are able to score.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Same here.  Look forward to next Saturday.  Certainly better to be 2-0 at this point.

Btw, any tip on parking? We will be driving down from Portland and plan to arrive by 4.  Hopefully that will give us plenty of time to find reasonable-priced parking and make it to the kickoff...

On 9/9/2023 at 10:12 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Btw, any tip on parking? We will be driving down from Portland and plan to arrive by 4. 

I actually never park near the stadium.  I park at the Valley River Center and either ride the shuttle from there or walk the river trail if the weather allows.

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2023 at 10:15 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I actually never park near the stadium.  I park at the Valley River Center and either ride the shuttle from there or walk the river trail if the weather allows.

That is what I am doing too.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

I will say this about the Oregon offense:

Every running back recruit needs to start emulating the duck running backs "Never Stop Moving" attitude. 

Absolutely incredibly to watch Bucky, Noah, and Jordan refuse to go down with the first hit.  

Bucky's TD run was not the 60 yard explosion, but it was every bit a highlight for that young man.

• Thumbs Up 3

Feel free to disagree but I had some impressions from the first Duck game I've watched very closely. I want to say that my criticisms are meant to be constructive and that I want to see the Ducks improve as much as you do.

First, there were entirely too many stupid penalties At one point in the first half, a graphic showed the Ducks with 5 or 6 times the penalty yardage as TT, and at least a couple of those miscues prolonged drives. The Ducks' defense is very much still in the making and cannot afford to be prolonging possessions. 

Second, while Nix was money at the end of the game when it counted, he kept trying to force too many balls in the middle of the game to receivers who were having difficulties getting any separation. So unless the Texas Tech back end is exceptional, The OC is going to have to find ways of scheming receivers, who didn't look all that dynamic to me, to open creases in the field. That is one of the things that made OC Todd Monken at Georgia so valuable in the Dawgs run to successive Nattys. The route trees for receivers were complex by design to befuddle DBs and ensure that somebody was going to be uncovered. I thought Oregon's routes were  rather predictable. 

One knock I have on Bo is that he often opts for the high risk throw when easier routes to yardage are available. My take on the major reason Oregon won this game came in the possession right after TT went ahead 30-28.I  told my Duck buddy that Bo needs to take no big risks here, take whatever the Tech defense gives him, and put up some points, even a field goal' while taking at least 4 of the five minutes or so left in so doing. Points were absolutely essential here, and to his credit, Bo begin to throw to check down receivers, moving the ball in 4-6 yard advances, with a couple of calculated scrambles along the way, to get in easy field goal range--though I wish he'd have taken 30 seconds more to get it done. But that was a masterful drive at crunch time by a very experienced QB.

Then we all had to sweat out that last minute when Tech started down the field aided immensely by an unnecessary roughness penalty that put tech in position to throw the ball into the end zone. Of course the pick 6 had made an 8-point rather than a 1-point lead, but even so, that is still tempting fate.in a road game.

After the win had been sealed, I told my buddy that I was surprised that more Duck fans did not have ulcers--I had held his hand during the collapse in Corvallis last year as well. He told me "yeah, I've had nearly six decades to get used to games like this!".

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 10:02 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

My one thought I had, and maybe it was a stupid thought, was why didn't we go for 2 on that pick six to try to make it a 9 point game? If we failed, we still would have been up by 7; if we succeeded, it's a 2 possession game. Anyone have thoughts as to why we didn't try that?

TT was making the red zone tough enough to punch through... a two point chance at that point probably would have failed.

Up by 7 is a whole lot scarier than up by 8.

• Like 1

Tex Tech last loss in a home opener:  1999

That win streak has included Ole Miss, TCU, SMU a few times, and a lot of FCS or light weights.

This was probably a bigger game for Tex Tech fans than many of us realized.   A quick review looks like the last ranked team at a home opener was Oklahoma in 1992.

Oregon opening the game by being penalized for having two players wearing the same jersey number was perplexing, as were the three false start penalties that stalled the offense in the first half…and another on the first play of the second half. That must be cleaned up.

It was not a great performance by the Ducks, but they showed resilience and heart, and came away with a clutch win on the road against a decent team. There is work to be done, for sure, and this type of game is a great indicator of the areas that need the most attention.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2023 at 10:15 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

This is the way I always do it.  The last time I went, Sr. citizens rode the bus for free.  Make sure you ask!  Enjoy.  

On 9/9/2023 at 11:25 PM, OregonDucks said:

Undisciplined.  Sloppy.  

This team has a lot of work to do in all phases of the game before they face the top teams in the Pac-12.   Colorado will not be a cakewalk on 9/23 and we'll need to be in top form to have a chance in Seattle on 10/14.

As someone else mentioned, Bo carried Oregon to a victory.  He is a baller and in the biggest moments, he seems to play the best.

14 Penalties. 14! 2022-like inability to get off of the field on 3rd down. BUT, one hell of a gutty comeback against a team that had won 23 home openers in a row.

The pass D, especially in this conference, best improve before Prime and Sons' trip to Autzen in Week 4.

Too bad Game Day is in Boulder for the CO. ST. game. Week 4 would have been perfect for a visit to Autzen.

Charles is spot on. Never A Doubt!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Funny things have happened to the Ducks in the desert.

27-48 at ASU in 1996

31-52 at ASU in 1997

3-38 at Arizona in 1998

14-59 at ASU in 2003

24-34 at Arizona in 2007

16-42 at Arizona in 2013

35-37 at ASU in 2017

15-44 at Arizona in 2018

28-31 at ASU in 2019

Since 1996, Oregon has gone 15-9 at UA and ASU.

Over that period Oregon has gone 242-97 (0.714) and UA and ASU have gone a combined 330-320 (0.508).

That 0.714 win percentage (according to Stassen) is good for 8th place in the FBS.

The combined percentage for UA/ASU (0.508) would put them 65th in the FBS (out of the 127 teams Stassen lists as qualifying from 1996-2022).

Tough place to play against a good opponent. Thumbs up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I almost think these types of games (PSU, Hawaii, etc.) hurt, not help, Oregon to get ready for what is bound to be a very tough conference season.  USC, UW, OSU, Utah, UCLA and now suddenly Colorado and ASU are all going to field teams that can potentially beat the Ducks.  Wading thru teams like this will be a real challenge given the way they responded to TT last night.   

I hope you enjoy the game, it will be a fun one to watch and I may be there as well to see these 2 play.  Expect a very different outcome than last night's.  O should win big.  Go Oregon

Lucky Ducks yesterday. I can't believe Tech went for it on 4th down deep in their own territory late in the game with the lead. Clean up the penalties and the O is fine, except for some questionable play calling. The defense is another story. One more game tuneup game till Colorado.