anyotherduck

Ducks Face the Liberty Flames on Jan. 1

How many Ducks even show up? Will this be the TT show?

• Like 1

You can bet that if they lose to Liberty the USC fans are going to return the favor for our Tulane trash talk last year.

• Go Ducks! 2

This is a joke right?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2023 at 11:50 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

This is a joke right?

Yeah it's a joke without a punchline. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sham.  Disappointing.  Ludicrous.

I actually have a degree from Liberty so this is two of my teams...still think the matchup sucks and I sure as heck will not be traveling for it.

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Thumbs Up 1

So it will be our 2nd string and Frosh vs Liberty biberty  great.

• Haha 1

Any player contemplating leaving for the NFL or any seniors leaving for the NFL would be crazy to play in this game. Good game for Ty though. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What an awful matchup.

This is “Lose / Lose” for Oregon.

If the Ducks win, no one will care. If the Ducks lose, everyone will criticize.

Another reason I NEVER judge teams based on the result of bowl games.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Yep, this is potentially U$C v Tulane part two. Zero upside for the Ducks.

Unless compelled by NIL contract,  no way Bo plays. Ditto TFerg, Troy and Dorlus. That said, great opportunity for the 2s to step up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I see this game having maybe 20,000 in the stands and a very bad TV rating. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My fear comes true. If it was Tulane or Smu or a good MW champ it would suck, but not this bad!

Any Duck with NFL potential won't play. Get Thompson and backups reps and start the spring football early this year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Kind of insulting. No NFL bound players will stick around for this. Maybe use this as a super early spring scrimmage? See what we have deep down on the depth chart?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Liberty is a 13-0 opponent with one of the weakest SOS in CFB P5/G5. But a dangerous and fired-up opponent nonetheless and a game that Bo sits and likely Troy Franklin, Dorlus, and many other NFL draft-eligible players if their agents hold sway. Will Fergy come back at TE and play in this game?

This will be a shell of an Oregon team vs. an all-hands-on-deck opponent. DL et al will have to do a great job to have the Ducks ready to play or this could be SC vs Tulane redux.

Alamo Bowl rematch between UW and Texas with Sark again going against the school that gave him his first HC job. This time in the Sugar Bowl. TX stopped one of the best RBs in CFB yesterday but its pass D was not all that great. I think Penix if he and his OL play like they did vs. the Ducks they have a chance to light up the TX secondary.

TX comes in -4.5. I am already down with a UW cover. DeBoer has never lost a game vs a top-25 opponent, he is 9-0 in these games. Based on the season-long resume UW should have been #1 and playing in Pasadena. UW has 8 wins vs. bowl teams and is 4-0 vs. teams ranked in the final top 25.

One team in the final 4 that played 8 conference games, Alabama. 8 game conference game teams are PO 9-0.

I expect that the Sugar Bowl will feature SEC refs. How much hand-fighting will these guys allow?

Tough pill to swallow but Go Huskies. A tough PO row to hoe. Win the Sugar Bowl and then play the champ game also in Dixie against I think, Alabama.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All I can say is 😮.

I imagine the Fiesta Bowl folk are not thrilled about this either.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is nothing for Oregon to gain by playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

If anyone is going and prices are jacked.  What I have done in the past is book a "park, sleep and fly" room separately for each night I want to stay even if I am driving to the game.

Seems there are rooms that are reserved for this type of booking and I found them up to 1/2 the price of staying one or two nights.

Go Ducks (of the future).

This matchup leaves no doubt in my mind that had Oregon won on Friday, the PAC would have been locked out for UGA and BAMA. If FSU was so bad without TJ, why aren't they playing Liberty? For that matter, why not Old Miss playing Liberty, they are ranked 11. Once again the CPF committee are a complete joke. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Nothing against Liberty, I'm sure they're a fine team,but we drew the short straw on this one.  I'm assuming it's because we're from the dying Pac 12, geographically closer to Glendale than other NY6 teams, and with east coast political clout, no one there wanted to play them.

I would think there will be a serious bail out of seniors and draft eligible players.  As high scoring as that team is, it will be a serious challenge for Oregon's 2nd and 3rd string players. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Not pleased with the matchup! Really a big let down for the fan base.

The Ducks put themselves in this position by losing. When you control your own destiny and dont win, well you get left overs..

However, the players who will declare willl not be playing in this game no matter who the Ducks play in the fiesta bowl.

There future is preparation for the combines and draft......they earned their shot.

This fan is not disappointed that the 2, 3's and others will be playing in the fiesta bowl. Their future is now! Right now.

Lest we forget, they are some of the best players from HS the last few seasons.  Many of them played solid minutes this year and contributed.

Looking forward to seeing them shine. Go Ducks! Get ready and lets beat Liberty......

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/3/2023 at 12:11 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Tough pill to swallow but Go Huskies. 

Now that is something my fingers could never type. 🙂

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

We live 40 minutes from Glendale Stadium, and there's not a remote chance that I'm willing to waste a few gallons of gas to go to this crap-bowl.

And I can literally get comp'd tickets for this game. I'm going to opt for a nice New Years Day hike instead. 

Oregon's bowl selection, & FSU getting screwed, are two more ideal pieces of evidence showing why college football is often a disgusting joke. 

Tulane is/was about 500 miles from Dallas, playing USC

Liberty is about 2100 miles from Glendale.

Tulane lost their conference championship to SMU or would be in back-to-back instead of Liberty.

On 12/3/2023 at 1:07 PM, JB89 said:

Now that is something my fingers could never type. 🙂

I am still attempting to come to terms with the idea the Huskies actually have a very respectable chance at winning the National Championship this year.

• Yikes! 1

I really do have sympathy for FSU's situation, but Vegas had them as an underdog to each of the four teams that were selected.  Probably not if they still had their starting QB, but the Committee probably made the right decision.

Playing Iowa's defense always seems like being pulled through a sloppy pig pen, but Michigan looked vulnerable to me.  Washington has played a lot of close close games.  Will karma catch up?  Can Alabama just over power any opponent and win a close one?  Maybe Texas is the best?  And, true irony Sark will play his old team.

Agreed couldn't have picked a worse game from an optics point of view.

However, now we get to see what our 2024 team will look like. And it's against Liberty. Not a much rougher opponent. .

Good chance Bo, Troy and 'Co weren't going to play no matter who our opponent was.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/3/2023 at 1:17 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

There is nothing for Oregon to gain by playing.

The only good to come from playing in this crap Bowl, is that the team gets a few more weeks of football. For the young guys, that's really valuable.

But as I said, we live 40 minutes from Glendale stadium, and I won't waste the gas to go to this thing... and I can get comp'd tickets.

Opting to go for a lovely New Year's Day hike instead.

So,

ESECPN did it again.

Along with Fox, destroyed the PAC12( with major help from the conference Presidents).

Slotted a very undeserving ( but capable) Alabama into the CFP.

Scheduled OBD with Liberty. 

The matchup is a great expose' for TT and the reserves.  Horrible matchup for a NY6 bowl.

Goes to show we will have to actually win a Natty before we'll be considered as a legitimate title contender.  

On to the BiG.  I hope we shred em all and get a rematch with UW to show how much the PAC12 was disregarded.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lol... Ducks might not finish in the top 10. If Ducks beat liberty by 30 folks will roll their eyes. If it's close or Liberty wins. Folks will point and laugh. No team in the top 7 are dropping below Oregon, win or lose.

This will be the biggest game in Liberty history. They will come to play. Ducks on the other hand...

Pretty hilarious if I am an opposing fan base. Ducks got humiliated by Husky for a half. So Oregon made its own bed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I still can't wrap my head around this. I mean other pairings are like 5 & 6, 7& 9, 10& 11--but the Fiesta Bowl (a Jan. 1 bowl game!) is 8 & 23???

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

My stance is that it is what it is. It’s still an NY6 bowl, not the Holiday or Alamo. Many of us predicted a 1-2 loss season and that’s where we ended up. This is a significant improvement over last season.

Sure it’s a disappointment that OBD didn’t make the CFP (losing to the Fuskies twice by a combined 6 points doesn’t help). But this is still a high level, highly visible game that is worth playing.

I hope Bo’s competitive spirit will have him play so they can wipe the floor with Liberty and show the nation how horrendously biased the CFP committee is. 

Don't be like USC!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Seems to be a fair amount of doom and gloom in the replies here.

Not me! I am super excited! It isn't often I've been in a position to go to a bowl game, and this will be interesting either way!

Scenario 1 - guys play, we blow them out, and experience catharsis for the way the championship went. Add a great trophy to the case, and head into the spring with a good final memory of this squad.

Scenario 2 - the draft eligible players don't play, and we get to see if Ty is the guy! The young players are so much fun, and our defense is constructed to beat this run-heavy opponent.

Tickets are purchased and we are booking the hotel now! It's only a 3 hour drive from Sierra Vista, you couldn't keep me away from this game!

Go Ducks!

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 6
  • Thumbs Up 3

One more note, Oregon is still in the hunt for some high end recruits, you can bet they’ll be watching the game.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Who?

I’m thinking OSU and WSU fans are rejoicing at this bowl opponent. It be like: “Now you know what we feel like when our big games are against Fresno and Boise State.”

On the upside, it does free up my New Years Day to do something more meaningful!

Not much to say, Liberty gets their participation trophy hurray.

I hope everybody eligible is there and plays, And we win big.  It's a game, you are part of the team, go out on a big high note

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 1:59 PM, Ryan Robertson said:

Seems to be a fair amount of doom and gloom in the replies here.

Not me! I am super excited! It isn't often I've been in a position to go to a bowl game, and this will be interesting either way!

Scenario 1 - guys play, we blow them out, and experience catharsis for the way the championship went. Add a great trophy to the case, and head into the spring with a good final memory of this squad.

Scenario 2 - the draft eligible players don't play, and we get to see if Ty is the guy! The young players are so much fun, and our defense is constructed to beat this run-heavy opponent.

Tickets are purchased and we are booking the hotel now! It's only a 3 hour drive from Sierra Vista, you couldn't keep me away from this game!

Go Ducks!

In my opinion this is the perfect response by a Duck fan. If I lived within a 3 hour drive I would be thrilled and eager to attend this game. I enjoy attending any football game that involves OBD. I drove the 18 hours to watch Joey destroy Colorado in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl but this year I will watch the game at home.

• Go Ducks! 2

I feel like Oregon has gotten a fair shake from the CFP all along. We were the highest ranked one loss team. Now we're the highest ranked two loss team.

I didn't believe there was any scenario that left the Pac out of the playoff. Not this year. Pac was too strong and everyone knew it. Until the last couple of weeks the Pac and SEC had flipped reputations and the Pac was considered the best conference in the land. Unfortunately, the usual cannibalization took place in the Pac and the conference limped into final stretch. Now we need to go win all the bowls and show the Pac was indeed tops this year.

The Fiesta has always tried to get Pac match-ups when possible. It doesn't have the long tradition with the Pac that the Rose does. But for many years the Fiesta has been either the number 1 or 2 destination for Pac teams.

The CFP is contractually obligated to put the highest ranked G5 into a NY6 bowl. We're they going to Make Florida State play them after screwing them over? No.  

This game will be a great opportunity for the 2024 players to show where this program is going. I expect the Lanning culture to produce the enthusiasm needed to ruin Liberty's undefeated season and to let the college football world know that the Ducks will be a playoff team next year.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 3:22 PM, JDuck said:

I hope everybody eligible is there and plays

Unfortunately, there's not a chance that this is going to happen. 

I can't see pretty much anyone that is bound, or likely bound, for the NFL, risking injury on a game like this.

While this reality is unfortunate, this is the unfortunate reality of college football today.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/3/2023 at 2:34 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

This game will be a great opportunity for the 2024 players to show where this program is going. I expect the Lanning culture to produce the enthusiasm needed to ruin Liberty's undefeated season and to let the college football world know that the Ducks will be a playoff team next year.

While I'm disappointed in the match up, I would think every Duck fan would be eager to watch this game for the reasons you listed. I know I am.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've seen this movie before and it didn't have a happy ending - vs BYU in Vegas a few years back. Liberty has some outstanding players per the Oregonian, slap in the face to be assigned #23 but let's hope OBD don't decide to party instead of play.

Ewwdub has to travel all the way to New Orleans 😁

On 12/3/2023 at 4:01 PM, Krsmqn said:

Ewwdub has to travel all the way to New Orleans 😁

That's the CFB powers-that-be saying that while they had to select an undefeated PAC-12 team, they are going to make it as difficult as possible for the PAC-12 team to succeed.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Regardless of whether the regular Duck starters decide to suit up or not, sadly Oregon has to win this game.

A loss would basically give a black eye to the Duck program, and who knows what other collateral damage may result.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would hope that most of our best players DO play, even if for just the first half.  We cannot lose this game, and trash one of Oregon's best seasons.

If the core of our seniors don't play--then we are in for a dogfight against a motivated foe.

Liberty U.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/3/2023 at 3:21 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I would hope that most of our best players DO play, even if for just the first half.  We cannot lose this game, and trash one of Oregon's best seasons.

If the core of our seniors don't play--then we are in for a dogfight against a motivated foe.

Liberty U.jpg

There's definite hope now that Bo announced he's playing! 🤩

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Ok, I will risk getting a stern talking to from Charles, but what a bunch of negativity!  (toned down from Negative Nancy’s) C’mon guys and gals, It is a NY6 Bowl game!   

Have we become that jaded that we are gonna look down our noses at an undefeated opponent?  Yes, it could have ended differently, but it didn’t.

OBD gets a shot at ruining Liberty’s perfect season.  We get another month of practice!  Next year’s Ducks gets a chance to gel early.

if I were in DL’s shoes, those players who think they are “too good” or “too valuable” to play in a NY6 Bowl game can watch the future of OBD while they practice in preparation for the game.

Go Ducks!

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Everything Dan Lanning said in Vrbo Fiesta Bowl introductory press conference 

Find out what Oregon head coach Dan Lanning had to say in the introductory Vrbo Fiesta Bowl press conference. 

247SPORTS.COM

Find out what Oregon head coach Dan Lanning had to say in the introductory Vrbo Fiesta Bowl press conference.

• Thumbs Up 2