Charles Fischer

Canzano: Conference Demise Hinges on Oregon

I am assuming it is a pay-wall article, and frankly he does not say much other than he feels that Oregon is in charge making the decisions and the other schools will react to what the Ducks do.

Do you agree?   (I don't)

It seems to me that Colorado and the other four-corner schools are on their own path--regardless of Oregon.  Yet Canzano feels that if Oregon sticks with the Pac-12, so will Washington and the other schools.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

His thesis did bring one thing up that I think we can all agree on.... At this point it's all about making Oregon happy. 

If Oregon is happy the conference can survive ... Covered in bandaids and held together with tape but survive. 

If Oregon wants to leave the flood gates open and it's over.

We are the final dam that is holding the pac-12 collapse back. Take that beavers, I just declared the Ducks are the dam! 

I still want actual details on this media deal proposal over all the bits and pieces and rumors we've gotten so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Pac was done after the last clink of glasses toasting  Larry Scott's excellent work. About the same barely noticed sound, about the same devastating impact.

It is a paid article. He also mentioned that Washington is meeting at 9pm this evening. 

On 8/3/2023 at 11:00 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The Pac was done after the last clink of glasses toasting  Larry Scott's

Ascention on July 1, 2009

I somewhat agree.  IF the Ducks decide to flee, and I think/hope that is a big if, then I think the demise will be swift.

However, I am still hopeful the Ducks stay in the Pac with a much easier path to the playoffs.  We don't need the media money to stay competitive.  Other schools, not so lucky.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As I ponder it...I do NOT like what Canzano is doing.  He is beginning a narrative that will be used later blaming, "Oregon was the reason the Pac-12 folded."

It will play well with his Oregon State readers.

• Wow 1
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/3/2023 at 11:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

As I ponder it...I do NOT like what Canzano is doing.  He is beginning a narrative that will be used later blaming, "Oregon was the reason the Pac-12 folded."

I was thinking the same thing. He loves stirring the pot to get the Beavs in a hussy. But, then again he makes his money because of it.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If AZ leaves the the Pac's done. UO and the rest of the Pac will be on their own. IMO the next team to leave will be the straw that broke the Pacs back. 

My thinking is they've seen the deal and it's not good. If it was no teams would be looking at leaving. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Pac schools have bashed Oregon for years. Now they are trying to set up Oregon for the blame. Shocker!

Good bye Pac, hope your demise is swift and Oregon moves on to bigger, greener pastures 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

I think many Oregon state fans would blame Oregon no matter what to be honest. 

There is a section of their fan base that hates all things Ducks at an insane level. In some cases it makes our hatred for the Huskies look quaint. 

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A B1G offer comes even at a discount and it will be at a discount and Uncle Phil is not going to allow Oregon to pass on being a Power 2 member.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/3/2023 at 2:16 PM, Steven A said:

I somewhat agree.  IF the Ducks decide to flee, and I think/hope that is a big if, then I think the demise will be swift.

However, I am still hopeful the Ducks stay in the Pac with a much easier path to the playoffs.  We don't need the media money to stay competitive.  Other schools, not so lucky.

Power 2 offer comes and Puddles is gone. The Playoff format in 2026 will look far different from what is coming in 2024/25. Joining the B1G even at an initial discount is a Duck in the hand.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/3/2023 at 11:36 AM, Jon Joseph said:

A B1G offer comes even at a discount and it will be at a discount and Uncle Phil is not going to allow Oregon to pass on being a Power 2 member.

35-40 mil for a few years, where do I sign? Press hard, 3 copies. All while winning a B1G conference title. There is a reason Trojan wanted Ducks black listed. They know what is happening in Eugene 

• Applause 3

How is the Big 12 handing out even revenue sharing to any PAC team, but the B1G TEN is only offering less? I find that extremely strange.

Big 12 is 60% ESPN, 40% Fox.

B1G TEN is 45% Fox, 30% NBC/Peacock and 25% CBS

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:00 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The Pac was done after the last clink of glasses toasting  Larry Scott's excellent work. About the same barely noticed sound, about the same devastating impact.

Let me fix this,

The Pac was done after the Presidents of the Universities all clinked their crystal champagne glasses filled with a 1959 Dom Perignon, celebrating their Harvard educated genius Larry Scott. They were celebrating the $500 to $750 million dollars Larry was going to sell a 10% stake in his creation, the Pac-12 network. Little did they know this was about the time the scam was all falling apart. Pictured below is a small part of the old Pac-12 headquarters, under Larry.

pac12-banner.jpeg

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, Tandaian said:

How is the Big 12 handing out even revenue sharing to any PAC team, but the B1G TEN is only offering less? I find that extremely strange.

Big 12 is 60% ESPN, 40% Fox.

B1G TEN is 45% Fox, 30% NBC/Peacock and 25% CBS

Why would the B1G pay more to someone in desperation? Ducks are in a bad spot. We can point the finger but Oregon plays a part in their situation. Hope Ducks learn where they went wrong.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2023 at 3:46 PM, Log Haulin said:

Why would the B1G pay more to someone in desperation? Ducks are in a bad spot. We can point the finger but Oregon plays a part in their situation. Hope Ducks learn where they went wrong.

The B1G did what it should have done. Wait for a Pac media number to surface instead of bidding against itself. 

Bad spot? Rather than look at this potential offer as taking a discount, I look at it as paying a premium for a future commodity bet. Being behind Rutgers money-wise stinks. But come 2031, Oregon will have a very good chance as a P2, B1G member of cashing in.

The alternative assuming a discounted offer to join the B1G comes to fruition is what? Play in a patchwork conference through 2030 and then take a discounted offer from the B1G? Oregon's future is long-term IMO taking a discount now and betting on itself for where it will be financially and where the B1G will be financially come 2031. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been sitting back waiting to see what happens and trying to stay calm. I listened to Dan Wetzel on one of his recent podcasts and he made a point I had not heard before.  He asked why do schools need so much media money?  They already make tons of money.  How much do they need? 

Then he went through a litany of schools that have switched conferences and are now making lots more money, but not having much success athletically.  Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M, Maryland, Colorado and probably more I can't remember.  I think we can soon add UT, OU, USC and UCLA, and the new Big 12 schools.

We are all complaining that media money is ruining college athletics.  How much do we really need?  I suck at finances, and many OBDF members are wizards at it.  But I wonder if Wetzel has a valid point.  

So I hope that the PAC survives.  Especially for the sake of non-revenue sports, which I think will really be harmed by a move to the B1G.  After all, I'm pretty sure there are more non-football athletes at UO than football players.

Maybe someone can shoot some holes in this.  Is $40 M and a move to BIG really better than $20 M plus subscription incentives and staying home?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

How about we agree to remain in the PAC if Beaver fans agree to all wear green at the next C***l War game?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Man, just when I had a few months of actually thinking Canzano turned a corner on being a legit good, sourced reporter.  After this and his recent statement that PAC media deal getting more $ than Big12 is a lay-up.  Clearly, once again he is either being used or creating fake news for clicks. Maybe both. No. More. Trust.

On 8/3/2023 at 4:37 PM, Cacker Guy said:

I've been sitting back waiting to see what happens and trying to stay calm. I listened to Dan Wetzel on one of his recent podcasts and he made a point I had not heard before.  He asked why do schools need so much media money?  They already make tons of money.  How much do they need? 

Then he went through a litany of schools that have switched conferences and are now making lots more money, but not having much success athletically.  Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M, Maryland, Colorado and probably more I can't remember.  I think we can soon add UT, OU, USC and UCLA, and the new Big 12 schools.

We are all complaining that media money is ruining college athletics.  How much do we really need?  I suck at finances, and many OBDF members are wizards at it.  But I wonder if Wetzel has a valid point.  

So I hope that the PAC survives.  Especially for the sake of non-revenue sports, which I think will really be harmed by a move to the B1G.  After all, I'm pretty sure there are more non-football athletes at UO than football players.

Maybe someone can shoot some holes in this.  Is $40 M and a move to BIG really better than $20 M plus subscription incentives and staying home?

Why does anyone or any company need more money? Because they and us and I, most often spend to the ceiling and not the floor. It's not just the money. It's about survival in a world of collapsing conferences. It's about being a survivor as a member of the Power 2 and not an also-ran. 

Yes, introductory money with a chance to score a full share come 2031 is far better than being a member of a glorified G5 conference. Especially when the introductory money and today's linear broadcast exposure exceed what Oregon can otherwise bank. Oregon moves to the B1G now or later. Move now and do not run the risk that the opportunity will indeed be there later.

• Great post! 1

I don't think John Canzano was making it up, that it was a lay-up about the PAC TV deal.  I think his sources truly thought that or they lied to him about it.  

I'm not sure why anybody thought 200 mil plus potential subscription bonuses was going to make it to 380 mil per year.  I guess the only thing I can think of is the linear deal is worth 100-150 mil per year?

If there is a linear deal the PAC really blew it not letting it out at the same time as Apple.

If you want to find blame for the Pac-12 folding, look no further than USC and UCLA.

Everyone else is simply reacting.

Oregon is NOT responsible for saving the Pac-12, nor can they be blamed for its demise.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/3/2023 at 11:32 AM, David Marsh said:

I think many Oregon state fans would blame Oregon no matter what to be honest. 

There is a section of their fan base that hates all things Ducks at an insane level. In some cases it makes our hatred for the Huskies look quaint. 

Beaver fans will ALWAYS try to blame Oregon first, for anything that happens.

The alternative is that the blame lies upon Oregon State University itself for years (decades) of failing to field anything resembling an exciting or competitive  team to watch. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pac-12 insider details the 'glue' holding the conference together as reported Big Ten offer is weighed

During a segment with syndicated radio host Dan Patrick, Canzano explained that any time Board of Regents meet that there is buzz around the league. And that’s happening on Thursday night in Arizona and Washington. That is the case even though Canzano told Patrick that a member of the Pac-12 CEO group told him that there is enthusiasm internally.

Canzano said while the media rights deal presented earlier his week was initially underwhelming, however, there is an added layer to it, and he’s unsure if a new partner came into the picture.

“Oregon is expected to get a reduced share invitation to the Big Ten Conference, could come as soon as this morning, mid-day today,” he said. “We know the Big Ten is open to that conversation internally and there’s a lot of eyes on Oregon. Oregon appears to be the glue right now in the conference, because the Arizona schools are saying that if Oregon stays, if Oregon chooses to stay in the Pac-12, there might be something there for the Arizona schools.”

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Board of Regents meetings create buzz on the West Coast, he said.

Hello, everyone! I am a back easterner who is very interested in what everyone is saying. In an ideal world, what would be the thoughts of some of you if the Ducks were to be in the Big 12 as a western divisional perennial yearly contender for a conference championship? Scuttlebutt has the ACC being very disgruntled with the low payout and a tv deal that doesn't expire until 2036.

Brett Yormark, the new Big 12 commish, is a super aggressive guy and it would not surprise me to see him approach the ACC schools about a deal to make a superconference with an east-west division. Reality is the B1G and SEC will continue, but how hard will the road be to the CFP in those conferences? Granted, a large number of viable opponents may not be an easy road to travel each year, but from where I sit, the Ducks will more than compete. 

There are sufficient numbers of schools much closer to Eugene than Rutgers, Boston College or Penn State, especially if Utah and the Zonas join the Big 12, as anticipated.  Perhaps the time for a superconference has arrived and time will tell the tale. Meanwhile, a great forum!

On 8/3/2023 at 3:16 PM, PittDuck said:

Beaver fans will ALWAYS try to blame Oregon first, for anything that happens.

The alternative is that the blame lies upon Oregon State University itself for years (decades) of failing to field anything resembling an exciting or competitive  team to watch. 

Probably just a decade in truth... though maybe not quite 10 years. 

2013 to 2022 ish... I said it in another post. Oregon State is really a typical college product. Or at least the traditional college product. Ups and downs with some very good years sprinkled in there but not a power. 

I'd say they look a lot like Iowa or Maryland or Virginia in their respective conferences. Important to the conference as a member and has times when they can upset the balance but otherwise not a huge player outside of the occasional year. But lots of patience of coaches to get it right for the future. 

Granted that model of college football is dying fast. I don't think Duck fans would tolerate the Bellotti era anymore. We love it because it's in the past and not the present. 

Jonathan Smith strikes me as someone in the Bellotti style for Oregon State now. He's going to deliver some great seasons but also some good seasons and the occasional stinker. 

I think Oregon State's biggest downfall right now is that they have had some bad seasons and are pulling out of that era but it's too late for them. 

That and they share the same region as the Ducks that are a whole lot flashier and better on the whole. If only one team from Oregon is getting picked for a big payday it isn't going to be the Beavers that's for sure. 

In short I think the Beavers really represent the traditional way college football used to operate and the Ducks represent how college football opporates right NOW. 

I feel bad for the beavers because I value that rivalry and relationship and that relationship with my work colleagues who are beaver fans. Media companies just don't value that. 

Even in an OOC game played in Thanksgiving weekend wouldn't hold the same value. So much of the value of that rivalry game is because it's at the end of confrence play. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2023 at 6:04 PM, DUCKED said:

If you want to find blame for the Pac-12 folding, look no further than USC and UCLA.

Everyone else is simply reacting.

Oregon is NOT responsible for saving the Pac-12, nor can they be blamed for its demise.

And get Foxy with it?

I don’t see this article as blaming Oregon, just recognizing Oregon’s importance to the PAC. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2023 at 7:07 PM, JCar said:

Hello, everyone! I am a back easterner who is very interested in what everyone is saying. In an ideal world, what would be the thoughts of some of you if the Ducks were to be in the Big 12 as a western divisional perennial yearly contender for a conference championship? Scuttlebut has the ACC being very disgruntled with the low payout and a tv deal that doesn't expire until 2036. Brett Yormark, the new Big 12 commis, is a super aggressive guy and itr would not surprise me to see him approach the ACC schools about a deal to make a superconference with an east-west division. Reality is the B1G and SEC will continue, but how hard will the road be to the CFP in those conferences? Granted, a large number of viable opponents may not be an easy road to travel each year, but from where I sit, the Ducks will more than compete. There are sufficient numbers of schools much closer to Eugene than Rutgers, Boston College or Penn State, especially if Utah and the Zonas join the Big 12, as anticipated.  Perhaps the time for a superconference has arrived and time will tell the tale. Meanwhile, a great forum!

It would likely be the same money as Oregon would receive as a B1G entry fee so IMO going B1G beats any alternative available at this point in time. 

The B1G is not the SEC when it comes to a path to the expanded playoff. Oregon can and has defeated Ohio State and Michigan at their places and has owned USC since Pete Carroll left and also UCLA since Terry Donahue left UCLA. 

Both in football and basketball Oregon will be more than competitive in the B1G and will not take a back seat in any other sport. The B1G is big due to location and the huge number of alumni/alumnae and the Midwest folks being more zealous when it comes to college sports than West Coast folks. 

In the future, there is roughly the same travel in the B1G as in the B12, especially with at least 4 teams on the West Coast than aligning in any less than a Power 2 conference. 

There is a lot of blame to go around for the demise of the PAC-9/10/12 but I’m not sure how you could blame Oregon unless you expect UO to sacrifice tens of millions of dollars per year in revenue, TV exposure and consequently a steadily declining program. That is a lot to ask a program, who has invested heavily over the years, to sacrifice to save the conference and I’m not sure if that would even be enough since every program is now looking out for their own interests. Arizona is likely gone and the remaining 4 corner schools are likely to follow. 

I would place the blame on the following (in no particular order):

• PAC-12 Leadership: Larry Scott and the PAC-12 CEO Group

• Fox and the LA schools for stabbing the PAC-12 in the back

• ESPN and the other media networks for lowballing and locking the conference out of linear TV

• Other PAC-12 programs for not investing in the success of their football programs to create more national/regional interest

Right now the decisions are being made by B1G and Big XII, not by Oregon. 

Edited by OregonDucks

JCar thanks for posting your thoughts in OBDF. All point of views are welcome, so post often.

The road to the playoff will be more difficult in the BIG. Having to beat or wrestle away a CFP spot from tOSU, Michigan, Penn State and the POS entitled Trojans would be a greater challenge than  being in the G5 Big 12.

However, the Ducks would have to beat any of these teams in the CFP match ups anyway. The annual pay, linear exposure, better kickoff times and a level recruiting field against usc as a BIG member has more appeal than being in the big 12.

Thats just my viewpoint. Others on this Forum want the PAC to hold together while some like the Big 12. However nobody has invited us anywhere other than Apple.

What would yoir preference be?

The Beaver fans love to bash us for pretty much everything.

But, when it came to funding their baseball stadium they were more than willing to take a hand out from our biggest donor.

If they want us to fill guilty for listening to a B1G offer how about a big "Your Welcome" to us and our Uncle Phil.

On 8/3/2023 at 4:07 PM, JCar said:

What would be the thoughts of some of you if the Ducks were to be in the Big 12 as a western divisional perennial yearly contender for a conference championship?

Welcome, and a couple of questions/comments for you.

--What school do you follow?  (This way I can give you the correct helmet as an avatar.)

Many of us do not wish to join the Big-12 for a couple of reasons:

1. The travel to the Big-12 is as bad for Olympic sports as the B1G, without the additional revenue.

2. While Oregon would be a prime member of the Big-12, we would rather retain the conference we are currently in.  If we have to change--the B1G is a better match for money.  (Since that is what this is all about)

3. It is only a matter of time before ESPN and Fox urge their conferences (SEC and B1G) to poach the better teams in the Big-12.

4. It is really not a cultural fit.

5. The fans rarely want these changes; most Oklahoma and Texas fans do NOT want to move to the SEC, and tons of LA fans do not want to leave the Pac-12.  But who listens to those paying the freight?

Thank you for your kind thoughts about the forum.  I love this community...

giphy.gif

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

Zano has always been a hack when it comes to the Ducks. His favoritism towards Beavus is no secret.

Let the rest of the Pac blame UO. Doesn't matter. Ducks have gotten no love from any of them for years. Including JC.

Most of the Pac rooted against the Ducks in the NC games. Yet there they were with their hands out to collect their share of the NC game cash.

I could care less about any of these teams. Oregon has carried the water for the rest of them for way to long.

Bunch of ingrates. 

• Oh no! 1
  • Wow 1

Oregon first fielded a football team in 1894. In 1894 the fans at Oregon games all knew and were friends with the young men who took the field. No doubt fans sat on the side of the field and ate a picnic lunch while watching the games in the daylight. No one in the all-mighty Ivy League knew the results of Oregon football games. No one was being paid to play. College football coaches were student managers of a club activity and were not making $1,000 a year let alone $10M dollars a year.

Eventually, one of the conferences Oregon became a member of after numerous other conference affiliations was the Pacific-8 Conference. That conference grew into the Pac-12 Conference. Football was still a regional sport before the NCAA lost an antitrust case in the 1980s. After this occurred, media companies and money generated from television broadcasts became a major factor in how college athletic teams are funded. The "need" for one true champion in college football led to the monetization of football and all college sports, especially football and basketball morphed from being regional-focused activities into national sports activities. Certain conferences benefited from the change, especially the SEC and other conferences focused more on matters other than mere athletic success fell behind.

The B1G 10 Conference grew in the golden age of college football in the 1930s, along with Notre Dame, Army, and Navy to the point where these teams eclipsed the Ivy League which was more focused on academics than on success on the football field. Scholarships for athletes regardless of a student's academic bona fides became the norm. The Ivy League dropped from being a national power to being a regional sport. The majority of schools playing college football today, like the Ivy League, do not award athletic scholarships, and as many stray dogs as fans attend the games. But these teams do not compete for national titles. 

Today, Oregon is a major player in the capitalized world of college football and basketball. It's football and basketball coaches are paid millions of dollars a year. Oregon's athletic director's base salary is close to a million dollars a year and Oregon athletes play in multi-million dollar facilities. 

To me, the choice in this day and age is a simple one. If offered an opportunity to participate in one of two conferences that have the money to be sustainable in athletics in the future or attempt to piece together a lesser collection of lesser schools, at least lesser from an athletic revenue point-of-view is not a difficult decision. To attempt to hold onto a tradition that has already been blown away with UCLA and USC joining the B1G is frankly senseless. To be a member of a diminished conference so you can more easily compete for football and basketball titles IMO makes no sense. Especially, when Oregon will be competitive in every sport in the B1G. Oregon will likely play UCLA and USC every season in football but will not play Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State every season. The playoff format will change in 2026 and as a member of the B1G and recruiting as a member of the B1G and the media coverage attendant to the B1G will help and not hurt Oregon's attempt to win football and men's basketball titles and in every other sport in which Oregon competes.

The entry money will be less than that received by Northwestern and Rutgers which is far from ideal. But it will be more than the money Oregon will make in a diminished Pac-9 or whatever. 

IMO, if Oregon receives a B1G invite, failing to accept the invite will be ruinous down the road for Oregon's finances and for Oregon's opportunity to win championships.

But that's just me and I more than respect and appreciate all other POVs.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He is all wet......Oregon needs to do what is best for Oregon......whatever that is. 

USC left, UCLA left, Colorado left.......so now it's Oregons job to keep a conference together that failed to retain 3 other members. 

Blame Larry Scott and the presidents that supported him

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2023 at 2:30 PM, AllOregon said:

Man, just when I had a few months of actually thinking Canzano turned a corner on being a legit good, sourced reporter.  After this and his recent statement that PAC media deal getting more $ than Big12 is a lay-up.  Clearly, once again he is either being used or creating fake news for clicks. Maybe both. No. More. Trust.

You can't polish a (toad)......I cleaned that up for propriety's sake 

• Haha 1

As to my POV as to whether Oregon should stay or go if offered by the B1G I have said (sigh of relief from all Forum members) enough and likely, more than enough.

But, if the B1G adds Oregon and UW and goes to 18 teams, I think this would make sense; if, I know what makes sense, competition and travel-wise.

First, a B1G 10 (18) would have 5 teams that played for a BCS championship including newbie Oregon: Nebraska (boo! should have been the Ducks in 2001 and not Nebraska), Ohio State, OREGON, Penn State, and USC. Champs, Ohio State, Penn State, and USC (hose job vacated.)

Playoff - Also five teams - including newbies Oregon and UW - Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, OREGON, and UW. Combined record - 4-8, 1 championship. 

B1G-10 (18) Divisions

West - Iowa, Nebraska, OREGON, UCLA, USC, UW

Central - Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin

East - Indiana, Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers

5 intra-division football games with 4 or 5 division cross-over games. I'm thinking 10 conference games could be required by media partners. This would allow USC to play Notre Dame every year and hopefully, if schedules could be figured out, Oregon to play Oregon State every year and Washington to play Washington State. 

If Canzano is trying to make UO the scapegoat, that’s nothing new, he’s always been a somewhat UO hater!

On 8/3/2023 at 7:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

As to my POV as to whether Oregon should stay or go if offered by the B1G I have said (sigh of relief from all Forum members) enough and likely, more than enough

I enjoy reading your thoughtful, intelligent, informed and passionate comments, Jon.  Keep them coming!

• Thanks 1

I think we have to factor the extra travel costs, coaching salaries and other expenses caused by moving to the B1G. That makes a 30 million payday not much better than the Apple deal (at least the Apple deal rumors). 

Everything depends at this point on Arizona and if they can take Arizona State and Utah with them. 

If Arizona, AZ State, and Utah leave, Oregon will have to take what it can. At that point the money may be a lot less than 30 million…20…10?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2023 at 2:28 PM, DUCati855 said:

I was thinking the same thing. He loves stirring the pot to get the Beavs in a hussy. But, then again he makes his money because of it.

Oregon being the reason the PAC folds is insane. Oregon is the only reason at this point the PAC has held on this long.

In a few days if Arizona is indeed gone, Utah is gone, maybe ASU... Will it still be Oregon's fault?

The PAC's indecisiveness over and over again when the opportunity for positive expansion was there, when markets like Houston were open for business, when the Big 12 was vulnerable to being raided by the PAC rather than the other way around is ultimately what has killed the PAC. 

When the LA schools left the handwriting was on the wall. It's really only been Oregon holding things together since.

to blame Oregon now... No way!

If Oregon goes to the B1G, along with UW, I would also like to see the B1G make a play for Utah and Stanford.

This would be 6 solid west coast programs in a 20 team conference. It may even make the western division of the B1G it's best division, at least in football.

From a media point of view this also adds Salt Lake City and San Francisco. 

Man it is hard to start looking for things that would make the B1G a better conference! I have never liked the Big Slow and Ugly Conference, even though I live in Ohio now. Bringing in the West Coast will help this conference greatly.

On 8/4/2023 at 12:21 AM, lownslowav8r said:

I think we have to factor the extra travel costs, coaching salaries and other expenses caused by moving to the B1G. That makes a 30 million payday not much better than the Apple deal (at least the Apple deal rumors). 

Everything depends at this point on Arizona and if they can take Arizona State and Utah with them. 

If Arizona, AZ State, and Utah leave, Oregon will have to take what it can. At that point the money may be a lot less than 30 million…20…10?

The NW schools have apparently negotiated a travel stipend in addition to the media revenue share.

So, I would wonder if the PAC-whatever just folds and the remaining teams try and Oliver Twist (please sir, spare a crumb)  into a new conference, or; maybe the Mountain West just absorbs those remaining programs of Oregon State, WSU, Cal, any Arizona teams left, and I don't know what Utah will do...