Charles Fischer

USC Fans Are....a Little Salty Over Pleasant

I never said I was noble....

Lanning vs Riley.jpg

"You CANNOT have years where Oregon has more top 10 California commits than USC. Just cant happen. The elite guys in Cali and the elite guys in the Pac-12 footprint have to ours if we want them at a disproportionate rate. Does not have to be perfect, because it never is, but if there is an elite top 300 prospect in the Pac-12 footprint and USC wants him, they gotta be converting that to the tune of at least 75-80%---- if we legit wanna be challenging for national titles."

"If not, we will be a version of what Oklahoma was under Riley in the Pac-12/Big 12."

"They still manage to steal Pleasant from us! This is getting ridiculous!!!"

"They aren’t winning recruiting battles just because of NIL."

"They have better recruiters. Recruits like the flashy uniforms and facilities. They also weren’t the laughing stock of CFB for the last decade."

"I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure that Pleasant, Matayo, Austin, Conerly, Florence are more than "ONE" guy."

"Idk Pleasant is a pretty big deal imo. 10.14 track guy at CB, but more importantly, Serra is usually an SC pipeline. Not pearl clutching, but I also think it kinda is a significant loss."

"USC is better than Oregon in every single aspect except for the big bag$$ to high schoolers. Once USC gets that ish together, these battles won’t even be close. Because essentially, that’s all Oregon really has to offer."

"Anyone saying “it’s just one guy” and “no big deal” is missing the bigger picture here. USC is facing an existential crisis right now recruiting high schoolers. We might get fortunate on a few great players per class, but we are nowhere near the point of stacking positions required to be competitive nationally. This is a really bad loss and it can’t be defended."

"We aren’t leading for anyone of note in the ‘24 class, our best recruit decommitted and Oregon is leading (Dylan Williams)."

"Oregon got the top three defensive recruits in California this cycle, all of them from LA. This needs to get figured out asap."

"The school is in Eugene, that's enough. Place is garbage, school is garbage."

"Hate the Ducks."

"Should kinda see it coming when it comes down to us and Oregon."

"Why is Oregon getting more good players than USC after having a weaker year? Is Lanning the best recruiter in the nation and is simply better than Riley? Are their nil or collective or booster deals more lucrative at Oregon? We have a good class, but they are doing better at the high level. Riley has a much better long term track than Lanning. So why is Oregon better at recruiting high school players from a place that is really far away from most of the talent on the west coast and the nation in general?"

Poor Trojans!

giphy.gif

• Haha 8
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Man, the Troy boys are more than a little butt-hurt about Pleasant! I had to laugh at the guy calling Eugene and the UO garbage, how mature of him!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It seems like just yesterday U$C was strutting and preening because they stole Donte Williams and would thus own the recruiting world.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

First the "men" of Troy whimpered about their 2023 schedule. Now the boys are crying about losing a recruit out of their backyard.

I guess not every skilled kid from Cali wants to be fed to the meat grinder of Big 10 talent and Big 10 weather in 2024!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I am shocked! USuC whine bags whining?  Who would thought it..

Oh wait, that would be all of us here!

and the clown from LA calling Eugene garbage?  Seriously?  Has he ever looked in his back yard?

Notice they are not (yet) blaming poor recruiting on the ridiculous travel times they will have for away games starting in 2024?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Eugene Garbage????!!!!

I'm biased, I know. I live within site of the lights of Autzen. But, this is a traditional college town with the Nike link and a pretty good academic university. U$C is world renowned for its academics and athletics. However, it's back yard is pretty slummy. That's fact. Gangs roam the streets, and that's scary. Kid's probably don't care, but to trash the town or the school? Best look in your backyard first.

U$C is getting theirs. It will improve IMO.

Oregon just brought in the NC DC from the SEC. That....means....something. Typical whining about who is better. Best to NOT go 4-8 the previous year and open ones mouth. One year with a garbage defense doesn't mean your back. Oregon can't chirp either till we get to limiting opponents to the 20 point range on average and making late quarter meltdowns a thing of the past.

Duck On!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

It's fun to watch them get all wrapped around the axel over this.  Calling Lanning a frat boy while their 'coach' could not wait to get to LA and buy the glitzy house because being 'showy' in LA matters right?????   Oh and by the way what was the score of their bowl game?????  Now shortage of whining in SoCal today.   

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

That first one threw me through a loop... Is Lanning supposed to be trh frat boy and not Riley? Because if you had to choose between the two I'm pretty sure it would be Riley. Just look at their respective houses. 

Also... Trojan tears are delicious. Keep them coming. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Considering that USC has brought in a good class, this sort of hysterical over-reaction is especially amusing.

I like the guy in the image quote who doesn't know the difference between "who's" and "whose".

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Frat boy? Now waaaaaait a minute!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In another life, a long time ago, I had to choose between USC and Oregon. Easy decision for me. I played JUCO basketball and walked on at The University of Oregon. Proud to say I stuck with the team for ...............90 minutes. Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Before you get too indignant, USC fans...

Beat Tulane and Get Back to Me

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

"If not, we will be a version of what Oklahoma was under Riley in the Pac-12/Big 12."

One (or many) could argue that USC is already there.  They'll get to the conference championship or sneak into the CFP but never get any further.  Once the team moves to the B10 which has become a meat grinder, they'll be Wisconsin v2.0.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/1/2023 at 1:21 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Before you get too indignant, USC fans...

Beat Tulane and Get Back to Me

giphy.gif

Or Utah!

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This story just keeps getting better!!  Sure tickles me.  🤣

• Let’s hope! 1

On 2/1/2023 at 12:26 PM, PittDuck said:

and the clown from LA calling Eugene garbage?  Seriously?  Has he ever looked in his back yard?

Notice they are not (yet) blaming poor recruiting on the ridiculous travel times they will have for away games starting in 2024?

I’m sure the Cali schools don’t want the subject brought up about 2024. La kids have grown up very rarely having to play a football game in foul weather let alone traveling in it. In my opinion the pack schools will be plundering LA schools of their talent, can’t wait to see that happen. Let the sniveling begin.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

But don't y'all remember: USC SHOULD have been in the CFP, they had to SETTLE to play Tulane, now, they SHOULD get all the recruits from SoCal... 

Let me tell you where USC won: 

Their marching band was better than Tulane's.

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Haha 2

Get used to it: all the SoCal recruits will be heading to Eugene soon, because there isn't going to be any water down there.

Like they say, ducks to water...

Edited by jrw
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 2/1/2023 at 2:04 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Their marching band was better than Tulane's.

Edited 45 minutes ago by Ktmguy2018

Tulane is located in New Orleans—home of THE BEST marching bands in the US thanks to all the competition in the Mardi Gras parades. 

So USC doesn’t even have that going for it. 

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 12:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I never said I was noble....

Lanning vs Riley.jpg

On 2/1/2023 at 12:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

Poor lads have no clue... Lanning is 36, Riley 39.  Lanning has far less "frat boy" in him than the "grown man" living in a $17 million golf retreat.

Edited by woundedknees
  • Yikes! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

This is like watching a former beauty queen get old, wrinkled, and chubby.  MOST of us get old, wrinkled, and chubby, but since we didn't start out as beauty queens, we just deal with it.  Some of the beauty queens simply cake on more eye shadow and try to squeeze their size 14s into size 6 pants, pretending they're still gorgeous and that all of today's actual beauty queens pale in comparison.  

"But...but...we're Nebraska!"  "But...but...we're Florida State!"

"But...but...we're USC!"

Face it, kiddies:  you're not the prettiest girl in the room anymore.  But go buy more eye shadow and keep pretending, as it amuses us.

• Haha 5
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

Yummy

image.jpeg.3d6fa629cbf299b36a8a092c73cfc752.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2023 at 6:54 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

This is like watching a former beauty queen get old, wrinkled, and chubby.  MOST of us get old, wrinkled, and chubby, but since we didn't start out as beauty queens, we just deal with it.  Some of the beauty queens simply cake on more eye shadow and try to squeeze their size 14s into size 6 pants, pretending they're still gorgeous and that all of today's actual beauty queens pale in comparison.  

"But...but...we're USC!"

Face it, kiddies:  you're not the prettiest girl in the room anymore.  But go buy more eye shadow and keep pretending, as it amuses us.

Thanks KR, I needed a good laugh today. Brilliant analogy!

If the current curve to the recruiting war between Oregon and USC for cali’s elite is bothering this guy now, just wait until the bright shiny glow of being the new kid on the B1G block has worn-off, and the LA schools are reduced to resume-padding novelties who will never belong, and will always remain outsiders in a league that only wanted them for their TV audience.

You think November in Wisconsin, Michigan or Minnesota is icy cold?  Try warming yourself at the fire of people who will never see you as their equals. Recruits won’t miss noticing that cold shoulder.

Garbage? That’s what we flush every time we out hustle the Troylets.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

USC is always going to get some of the top So-Cal recruits just because of their location but they *ASSUME* they should dominate recruiting based on location and history.  Why would a top tier local athlete choose UO over USC?  

Simple... they are picking a program that gives them the best opportunity to get to the NFL.  Oregon has better facilities, better TV ratings, better coaching and isn't going to the Big 10.  USC is getting a serious wake-up call and the haymaker is going to be delivered by Ohio St.

In other good news, Texas and Oklahoma playing in the SEC will open even more recruits to the Ducks program...  Some athletes are absolutely drawn to play in the SEC no matter what but some definitely realize they will struggle to get exposure there and will seek better opportunities.  Now we just need to figure out a way to convince moms and girlfriends that Eugene is where they want to be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2023 at 3:54 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

"But...but...we're USC!"

Strangely, that reminds me of a former Wannabe 'beauty queen' competitor I have the misfortune of being related to... 

When referring to several younger ladies who, in all honesty, easily, and in some cases are, considered beautiful and/or uber talented, the conversation centers around herself.

She was always, and still is,  the cleverest, the prettiest, the most successful... Even in comparison to her 18 year younger sister (the epitome of blonde bombshell, even as she is pushing 60), her own daughter (a very attractive , highly accomplished equestrian, once ranked in the top 20 in her discipline in the world), and pretty much any other person not involved in discussing herself.

IMO, USC and the NCAA IS like the aging, fading harridan who volunteered to give eulogy for a departed ĺoved one: Start the session with, "I was always Grandma's favorite, because I was the first, and that made ME the BEST!"

I like how there is a lot of mention how Oregon is pulling kids because of NIL deals.  I'm sure that is partially true, however out of the top 10 classes on On3, the Ducks are 9th at 50K average.  ND is averaging 48K for the lowest of the top 10 classes.  On3 says USC's NIL average is 145K.

• Wow 1

On 2/2/2023 at 1:08 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

In other good news, Texas and Oklahoma playing in the SEC will open even more recruits to the Ducks program...  Some athletes are absolutely drawn to play in the SEC no matter what but some definitely realize they will struggle to get exposure there and will seek better opportunities.  Now we just need to figure out a way to convince moms and girlfriends that Eugene is where they want to be. 

On 2/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, Tandaian said:

I like how there is a lot of mention how Oregon is pulling kids because of NIL deals.  I'm sure that is partially true, however out of the top 10 classes on On3, the Ducks are 9th at 50K average.  ND is averaging 48K for the lowest of the top 10 classes.  On3 says USC's NIL average is 145K.

That seems about right... I keep reading that Oregon is often making competitive offers for top athletes but not necessarily trying to outright buy them. USC has worked to become relevant again by throwing money at recruits and seeing what happens. Texas and Miami have done the exact same thing so far and we'll see how that works for them in the long run as well. 

On 2/2/2023 at 12:08 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Now we just need to figure out a way to convince moms and girlfriends that Eugene is where they want to be. 

I think some on-campus nail and hair salons along with luxury spas should to do the trick. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2023 at 3:54 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

"But...but...we're USC!"

Kurt, if you aren't already a writer, you should be. 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/2/2023 at 1:00 PM, Dave23 said:

I think some on-campus nail and hair salons along with luxury spas should to do the trick. 

I was thinking the same thing... and move the Outlet Mall to Coburg (from Woodburn). You know the moms and girlfriends would be appreciative of that.

Ignorant USC guy trying to justify why Trojans were better after learning

Ducks had more elite SoCal recruits...He was wrong

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

I humbly request that we lay off the female stereotypes. 

There are plenty of women on this forum, and these comments discourage women from posting. 

I am asking that we elevate our collective conversation and not make fun at women’s expense. 

We have plenty of Fuskies and condoms and rodents to ridicule. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 4

This is a great post. Thanks, Charles.

This take from an SC fan is even more hilarious when considering the manner in which SC stole WR Addison from Pitt. 

The other big beef from SC fans. They are upset that in 2023, SC has to play Utah in LA the Saturday after playing at Notre Dame. Cry me a river. No one is forcing SC to play Notre Dame every year. And SC fans who are not clueless have to realize that playing ND every year only serves to help ND in recruiting California. (Ditto Stanford.)

Hats off to Dan Lanning and his crew. Dan et al did a great job with recruiting the 2023 class and also mining the portal.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/1/2023 at 5:30 PM, jrw said:

Get used to it: all the SoCal recruits will be heading to Eugene soon, because there isn't going to be any water down there.

Like they say, ducks to water...

With the recent storms, the 2nd largest reservoir in California has risen an incredible 182 feet.  Reported by the Mercury News

• Wow 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

With the recent storms, the 2nd largest reservoir in California has risen an incredible 182 feet.  Reported by the Mercury News

They'll need multiple years of that to recover from the extreme drought over the last two decades.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/1/2023 at 3:26 PM, PittDuck said:

He looked but the smog blocked his view.

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2023 at 2:26 PM, kirklandduck said:

They'll need multiple years of that to recover from the extreme drought over the last two decades.

Amen. And BTW they refuse to build new desperately needed reservoirs. Most of the epic rainfall went down the drain.

This conversation is sliding toward ideology rather than sports. Let’s take the perceived mistakes of the CA government and people ("mistakes" largely defined by ideology) off the table and concentrate on the "wonderful" USC fans and their salty tears which we all can enjoy. 

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think TX & OK to SEC and UCLA and uscrybabies to the "BIG non-math majors" will help our SoCal and TX recruiting once they are entrenched in their soon to be middle of the road status.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2023 at 4:35 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I listened to this podcast and will offer a tidbit as another way to evaluate Mr. Marcello's acumen.

He has the Huskies winning the Pac-12 next year and DeBoer as the conference's best coach.

On 1/28/2023 at 3:05 PM, Steven A said:

2/13/1970 vs Cal who was ranked and featured 2 Parade AA’s, Ansley Truitt C & Phil Chenier G.  Cal was ranked; us, not so.  Final 98 - 91.  It was after this game that the University called in earthquake inspectors due to the first time the scoreboard shook.  From then on it was an every game contest to get it to shake and was even used as a recruiting tool when hosting recruits.

2/20/1971 vs UCLA.  L 74-67, tight game throughout.  During warmups, Sidney Wicks ran sprints and just glared at the student section when he got to that end.  Students stood up and screamed at him.  He only ran 1 sprint!  At the opening tip, the crowd was so loud the refs were ready to throw a technical for delay of game because the Ducks couldn’t get introduced over the noise.  Late in the tight game Henry Bibby Sr. stole the ball and went the entire court for a layup and ended up in the bleachers when Stan Love went up to block it, grabbed the rim and gave Bippy a foot in the back.

Loved the top tier, I think my knees just stopped aching last week from being pressed up against the seat in front.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

This is a great post. Thanks, Charles.

This take from an SC fan is even more hilarious when considering the manner in which SC stole WR Addison from Pitt. 

The other big beef from SC fans. They are upset that in 2023, SC has to play Utah in LA the Saturday after playing at Notre Dame. Cry me a river. No one is forcing SC to play Notre Dame every year. And SC fans who are not clueless have to realize that playing ND every year only serves to help ND in recruiting California. (Ditto Stanford.)

Hats off to Dan Lanning and his crew. Dan et al did a great job with recruiting the 2023 class and also mining the portal.

Great to see you back here, Jon.

• Thumbs Up 1