Joe F

Oops, Mari (no O) Has Done it Again

Da U should have taken a knee instead of going for 3 yards and a cloud of dust on the last play of the game.  (It's what da U does you know)

ESPN,

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Miami should have taken a knee. It took a disastrous loss instead, as Georgia Tech turned a huge mistake by the Hurricanes into a last-second miracle.

Haynes King threw a 44-yard touchdown pass to Christian Leary with two seconds remaining after Miami turned the ball over with the game all but won, and Georgia Tech stunned the 17th-ranked Hurricanes 23-20 on Saturday night.

The Yellow Jackets went 74 yards in 24 seconds, just after the Hurricanes had the option to kneel down, likely run out the clock, win the game and remain unbeaten. Instead, Don Chaney fumbled the ball away -- Miami argued he was down, referees disagreed -- and the Yellow Jackets pulled off a stunner.

"Not going to make an excuse for it, say we should've done this or that," Miami coach Mario Cristobal said of not taking a knee. "That's it. We should've done it. Sometimes you get carried away with just, finish the game and run it. I should've stepped in and said, 'Hey, just take a knee.'"

I'm so glad he got that great promotion and went to "da U"

• Wow 1
  • Haha 5
  • Applause 1

The one time when you ACTUALLY want a negative play.

They call it a "Victory Formation" for a reason!!

Nope, Mario gonna outsmart himself!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh!  I just had a thought (dangerous I know, but it doesn't happen very often)!

With all of these questionable coaching decisions (by the way, anyone recall the Oregon - Stanford game where the EXACT same thing happened?  Take a knee....nope, CJ fumbles), I have a new nickname for MC:

Mari-NOOOOOOOO.......

• Salute 1
  • Haha 5
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Quick someone make sure that Miami knows that there are no takesies-backsies. 

We're keeping that 8mil buyout and San Lanning! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Hate to say it (Wait! No I Don’t) MarinoO has done it again. Probably every Miami fan was screaming at the tv to take a knee.

Just when I think I’m done talking about him he does it again. You just can’t make this stuff up.

So glad he is just about as far from us as he can get without swimming in the Atlantic.

Once again thank you Hurricanes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mariø is the worst coach in college football. How this guy got to this position is beyond me. The guy is a joke.

What people are saying about the Hurricanes’ dumbfounding mistake in loss to Georgia Tech

The Hurricanes just needed to take a knee to end their win against Georgia Tech. Instead, they ran the ball.

Don Chaney Jr. fumbled, and the Yellow Jackets scored the game-winning touchdown with two seconds remaining.

The college football world was shocked at the coaching decision and wasted no time in criticizing Mario Cristobal for the choice.

WWW.ORLANDOSENTINEL.COM

The college football world was shocked at Miami’s decision to run the ball instead of taking a knee to close out its game against...

Watching the last 2 minutes was thoroughly enjoyable. Best laughs I have had in a long time😀.

• Haha 1

Then he says, “I should have stepped in . . . and said take a knee there.”

This is why he can’t keep a coordinator for more than two seasons. They’re not getting poached. They’re constantly searching for other jobs because they’re tired of getting thrown under the bus.

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Interestingly the pundits state the call by Mario to run the ball when taking a knee was the call to make was inexplicable.

I'm pretty everyone on here could have called the exact running play he was going to call. 

The other question, how do you let a receiver get behind the defense, we know that answer too.

Canes fans are feeling it:

He’s ******* OL coach and recruiting coordinator.. that’s all..

He has no business being the HC.

The "fire Mario" movement is strong on the fan sites.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/8/2023 at 7:15 AM, Log Haulin said:

Mariø is the worst coach in college football. How this guy got to this position is beyond me. The guy is a joke.

Because he is a great recruiter and his players do love him. Remember it was Oregon players who created a petition for him to be the next head coach at Oregon which is how he got the job.

He is very relational with players. 

But... development, scheme and play calling are all dubious. 

He will get Miami to a bowl this year probably and have a fantastic offense season of recruiting and Miami fans will be super optimistic about next season. 

Only for more of the same. 

He doesn't have Justin Herbert to carry him to a NY6 bowl... and even then he seemed to try and restrain Herbert asuvj as possible. Goes to show you how good Herbert is when he won a rose bowl while being chained to that playbook. 

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I watched that blunder happen in real time. I had two thoughts.

1. That is a textbook FIREABLE offense. 

2. Oregon definitely upgraded with Dan Lanning. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Maybe Miami just didn't physicality enough.

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2023 at 1:58 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Oh!  I just had a thought (dangerous I know, but it doesn't happen very often)!

With all of these questionable coaching decisions (by the way, anyone recall the Oregon - Stanford game where the EXACT same thing happened?  Take a knee....nope, CJ fumbles), I have a new nickname for MC:

That's the first thing I thought of when I heard the report about this on the radio this morning! 😄

• Thumbs Up 1

The CFB world is shocked! But Duck fans? We've seen this movie before. 

We remember (and apparently Mario does not) the Autzen airing of, 'How to Hand a Win to Stanford with a Stupid Clock-Management Decision,' but because MC was screwing up in the Pac, few across the nation paid attention. Including the Miami money-men who took MC back home to Miami.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

They certainly were NOT. If they were they would have won that game. 

Right? 

I mean if the runningback was more physical he wouldn't have fumbled the ball and gotten the first down.

MORE PYSICAL!!!!! 

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 3

Not to dump on Mario but isn't that what being a HC is all about, making the final decision?  By not changing the play call he's entirely responsible for the loss.  Seems he has a lot to learn still about what a HC is and does.  He's good at recruiting and good at relating to his players.  He's not HC material, evidently

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/8/2023 at 9:22 AM, Mic said:

Not to dump on Mario but isn't that what being a HC is all about, making the final decision?  By not changing the play call he's entirely responsible for the loss.  Seems he has a lot to learn still about what a HC is and does.  He's good at recruiting and good at relating to his players.  He's not HC material, evidently

At least he didn't call a timeout before the first play of the game this time around. 

But MC is as stubborn as they get. He is slow to change if he ever does. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The problem is that Cristobal didn't 'mentality' enough.

• Haha 3
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/8/2023 at 7:32 AM, cartm25 said:

Then he says, “I should have stepped in . . . and said take a knee there.”

It’s subtle, but he’s still deflecting. It’s like he’s telling us someone else made the horrible decision and he missed the opportunity to override it.

Translation: "The buck never-ever stops here."

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/8/2023 at 10:25 AM, David Marsh said:

At least he didn't call a timeout before the first play of the game this time around. 

But MC is as stubborn as they get. He is slow to change if he ever does. 

I will never-ever forget that. It's his first game as HC and officially, the game hadn't even started. 

So naturally, what play do you call?  A time out, of course. Why? Because you only had all off season to prepare for that moment. 

Fortunately, calling a punt was not an option. 

• Applause 2

On 10/8/2023 at 1:58 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

recall the Oregon - Stanford game where the EXACT same thing happened?

I guess they have an insane coach . . . doing the same thing and expecting a different result!

On 10/8/2023 at 1:51 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

They call it a "Victory Formation" for a reason!!

It's now called the "Georgia Tech victory formation" formerly known as the "Stanford victory formation".

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1

On 10/8/2023 at 11:33 AM, Steven A said:

It's now called the "Georgia Tech victory formation" formerly known as the "Stanford victory formation".

Lol. That's just too good. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I recall all these Miami fans who emailed me....taunting me about how they stole our coach, and how recruiting is the most important thing.  No matter how many examples I gave, or some logic about how being a great coach is more than just recruiting--they ignored it.

They knew better, and were laughing, and yet they could not understand why we Oregon fans were delighted he was leaving.  I imagine that they have remembered my warnings several times in the last year and a half!

My gosh we lucked out losing Mari, and gaining Danno.

Lanning on headset_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/8/2023 at 11:05 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Mari, and gaining Danno

Who'd thunk what a difference one little "o" could make!

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 6:32 AM, cartm25 said:

Hahahahahaha!!!

Listen to his interview. He can’t even muster taking direct and full responsibility. He argued they were trying to get the 1st down . . . on 3rd and 10 with 35 seconds left.

He throws his players under the bus so often, and then at the last second says, “No excuses. Got to coach it better.” As if to say that they’ve already coached everything but the players just aren’t getting it.

Then he says, “I should have stepped in . . . and said take a knee there.”

It’s subtle, but he’s still deflecting. It’s like he’s telling us someone else made the horrible decision and he missed the opportunity to override it.

I’m so glad he’s not at Oregon anymore.

Love watching his interviews after games like this. I think he thinks his angry glare will keep the reporters from asking tough questions, LOL!

Mario NEVER takes responsibility and that is why he will never improve.  He's ALWAYS pointing the finger at someone else (e.g., assistant coaches, players), instead of looking in the mirror.

As an Oregon fan, I am so glad that Miami took him off our hands!  Wonder if the Miami fans will finally listen now...

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/8/2023 at 4:18 AM, David Marsh said:

Quick someone make sure that Miami knows that there are no takesies-backsies. 

We're keeping that 8mil buyout and San Lanning! 

I hope that Oregon got that $8M buyout upfront...

• Haha 1

Even after it is over and at the press conference he still didn’t even understand or realize they had gotten enough first downs to run out the clock! He says we thought we could get the first down. What??!!  You already did. He literally honestly doesn’t even really understand basic key strategy or rules. 

just not a smart coach. Heck of a recruiter. Terrible X’s and O’s and in game strategist. 

Edited by Nautique Duck
  • Applause 2

There's mistakes, like not realizing the offensive formation. Then there's embarrassing mistakes like Notre Dame only having ten defensive players on the last couple plays, while defending their goal line in the final seconds to blow a four point lead.

Then there is losing your undefeated season against a terrible Georgia Tech team, because you don't know how to call the easiest play in football.  Homer Simpson could call that play, twenty five cases of beer to the wind "D'OH!!!!".

• Yikes! 1
  • Applause 1

Every season that Mario screws up like this the Ducks beat Washington in that same season. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Duh, I just figured it out . . .  he's not a football coach, he's a pinball wizard and that kid sure plays a mean pinball.

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2023 at 5:52 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Could you imagine if this was a SEC team and Paul had to deal with the meltdowns on his show?

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When MarinoO went to Miami I spent a couple months on Hurricane web sites trying to explain their mistake and thanking them for relieving my misery. It was actually fun till I got weary of the subject. 

MarinoO has reared its ugly head again. Darn 😂

Sources close to the Miami program tell me that Mario had been binging Game of Thrones again, and had been telling the team all week that like the Targaryens, the Hurricanes never bend the knee. 

• Haha 4

True, Coach Cristobal made a bonehead mistake by not overriding his O.C.'s decision to run the ball.  99 times out of 100 noting bad happens but still, that was a dumb thing to do.  That 100th time came back to haunt him. 

But last night I saw something worse when the Notre Dame Head Coach opted to go for a 4th down and (I think) 11 yards inside their own 35 yard line with Louisville only 8 points (score with 2-pt conversion) ahead.  There was over 9:50 left in 4th, it was still anybody's game at that point.  Later, he did it again; now down 2 scores (because of the score they gave up when they failed on the earlier 4th down try) and ended up giving Louisville the back back again - also in their own territory.  And yep, Louisville scored again - now making ND 3 scores down.  Game essentially over.

I think HC Marcus Freeman is safe from the hot seat right now but not if he does something like that again.

On 10/8/2023 at 5:26 PM, Mic said:

True, Coach Cristobal made a bonehead mistake by not overriding his O.C.'s decision to run the ball.  99 times out of 100 noting bad happens but still, that was a dumb thing to do.  That 100th time came back to haunt him.

Ahh, Mari No O strikes again!!

It wouldn't surprise me if he did override his OC's play call - to take a knee!!  He's bone headed enough to tell his crew "we're not taking the easy way out, we'll fight to the end!!" and run another play...

And, it would be just like him to let his OC take the blame for the call that he changed...

Wonder who his OC next year will be?  LOL!!

Forever grateful to Miami!!

Go Ducks!!

OlCodgerDuck

• Applause 1

On 10/8/2023 at 3:58 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Mari-NOOOOOOOO.......

I like it....but I prefer Mari-OH-NOOOOOOOO...

• Haha 2

First things first. Mario never lost to Washington as HC at Oregon. He actually won a lot of big games and put a Rose Bowl trophy in the case. With that said, he never put teams away in big games. The 2018 Stanford game and 2019 Auburn game were one bad snap away from being blowouts, but we let them hang around and beat us in the end. 

However, he has the uncanny ability to win games he has no business winning. The 2018 Washington and 2021 Ohio State games come to mind. I would bet a good amount of money that he knocks off a big rival like a Florida State or UNC this year. He knows how to feed the beast.

Unfortunately his style cost him a game last night. I didn’t know until today, but Miami has had the final possession in all of their wins this season and have never kneeled. They have always ran a running play. 

Never kneeled!

Mario must think it’s a sign of weakness, when it’s really a sign of stupidity.

This was a blunder of epic proportions.

Hurricane's new offensive analyst ....

Screenshot_20231009_082832_Chrome.jpg.5f1983fe63fd1d9493389644617d8de2.jpg

• Haha 2

What is most perplexing is Mario just continues to do the same dumb stuff over and over.   You would think he would learn.  Stubborn is one thing, stupid is another.  

I liked Mario in the very beginning of his tenure.   I had an opportunity to meet him early on and found him pleasant but there was always something about him that bothered me and I could never quite put my finger on it.  It was not something I spent too much time contemplating. 

Then he left and Dan came and the more I listened to Dan early on I realized what it was.   Dan is authentic and real.   Mario is not.  As I have said before, Dan does not have to be the smartest man in the room, Mario does.  

I re-watched the Unfiltered interview with Dan and it firmed up my authentic and real assessment even more.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 8:36 AM, Darren Perkins said:

You're kidding, Darren.  Right?  I mean, in this crazy world, who really knows?

On 10/9/2023 at 8:48 AM, Mic said:

You're kidding, Darren.  Right?  I mean, in this crazy world, who really knows?

Hahaha, yep, joking. But, now you got me thinking it could really happen 🤔

image.png.d758907ce28a70740635040d21d35d92.png

Brightest moment of my Saturday, thanks Mari no O!   He is just such a bad game coach, stubborn as hell and never learns.   It's a miracle that his team is 4-1.   

IMO Oregon owes Christo a bit of thanks for turning what used to be a relatively soft program into a heavy weight. His recruiting of the type of linemen that controlled the line of S was really a change. Lanning was probably somewhat attracted to Oregon because of what was already here. 

Having stated that.......he is a good recruiter......as a game time head coach......not so much. Miami will probably have to move on in a couple years. 

• Applause 1

Jimbo at T A&M got outcoached by Mari!  

Between them that makes about $150 Mil in the toilet.

• Haha 2